General discussions about Hot Wheels

TOPIC: Gran Toros

Gran Toros 4 years, 2 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Gran Toros or Sputafuoco (which I believe means spits fire in relation to the Hot Wheels flaming wheel logo) by Hot Wheels are amazing.

Shortly after Mattel acquired Mebetoys of Italy to increase distribution in Europe, they took many existing Mebetoys models and new ones, and added very quick wheels. A springy axle with plastic or nylon wheels just like Mattel's smaller Hot Wheels where fitted for these larger 1/43 "ish" scale models. They looked the same as they did as Mebetoys but now they screamed across the floor !!!!!!

There are die hard collector's of these larger than normal early 70's Hot Wheels and they often pay a lot to have them. I believe there were about two dozen models produced (not including colour variations). Several models were also released under the Mebetoys name and vice versa, but the true Gran Toros were only fitted with super fast axles and wheels. They even came out with the familiar orange rubber tracks for these cars, just in a wider version to fit the larger wheel base.

read all about them here www.grantoros.com

Anyways I have 6 so far. But it is a very slow process as they are pricey.

Sometimes I come across one that fits my budget and catches my eye (fairly decent condition)

Just received this Ford Mark II

Re: Gran Toros 4 years, 2 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for that story Tiick. The model looks fabulous in that colour, well done. The only thing I would do is change the wheels......is the spare wheel a rubber one with profile?

Re: Gran Toros 4 years, 2 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
yes but just a "dummy" for show. It is much smaller than the hard plastic wheels on the vehicle but that is what made them fast.

Re: Gran Toros 4 years, 2 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
I just have the one which I bought some time ago because it was a Chevrolet.  

Re: Gran Toros 4 years, 2 months ago #5

I don't come across these too often here in NL. Thanks for the photos

Re: Gran Toros 4 years, 2 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Love these 1/43 Hot Wheels!  25 Gran Toros were made - 

www.grantoros.com/grantoros/models.html

I have a few from the US (I think) so they were not in a Sputafuoco box (for the Italian market).

Trantula:

Last Edit: 4 years, 2 months ago by karls.

Re: Gran Toros 4 years, 2 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Wow, that is not a car model, but a piece of art! So only Italians drove those vehicles.....?

Re: Gran Toros 4 years, 2 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
I too have the Trantula (based on a popular model kit design by Monogram/Revell, another Mattel company). I would love to have the parachute that came with it. I also have the Chev Astro and recently lost out on a bid for one in Dark Blue. The Mark II as posted above I also have in silver. The only other one I have is the Toyota 2000

Here it is again but as Mebetoys model with Gran Toros packaging. Collector's of Gran Toros would not consider this one a Gran Toro as it lacks the Hot Wheels type fast wheels and suspension.

And here is  purely a Mebetoys model that at one point was marketed with Gran Toros packaging but was never in the Gran Toros line up

Once Mattel took over Mebetoys there were a few variations of cross over with the Mebetoys models and the new or refitted Gran Toros. However, if they did not have the fast wheels and suspensions, they weren't Gran Toros or Sputafuoco (as released in Italy) or Heisse Rader Supergross (as released in Germany).

Again you can learn all about them at www.grantoros.com
Last Edit: 4 years, 2 months ago by Tick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Gran Toros 4 years, 2 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Those fast wheels remind me very much of the ones Politoys used for a while on their M-series cars: thin, flexible axles, quite nice looking hubs with hard plastic wheels/tires.

It's probably a coincidence, or...? The whhels do certainly look better and more realistic than the Corgi and Dinky counterparts of the same era.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Gran Toros 4 years, 2 months ago #10

what a great topic this i. I see some beautiful models that I have never seen before.

Re: Gran Toros 4 years, 2 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
The wheels are different as the Hot Wheels are smooth by the Politoys have bit of a raised centre. But those hubs ???????? Now that could not be coincidence.

Hmmmm, wonder who supplied who. Mebetoys/Mattell supplying Politoys or the other way.

Re: Gran Toros 4 years, 2 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Hotwheels have a ridge around the inside of the tire where Politoys have it in the middle of the tires. You can see the ridge on the Corvette picture at the top of the tread.
Last Edit: 4 years, 2 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Gran Toros 4 years, 2 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Yep, I see it now. I assume they were to reduce friction that the entire wheel width would cause across the floor.

Re: Gran Toros 4 years, 2 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
That is correct.

Re: Gran Toros 4 years, 2 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Here is another Gran Toros - Alfa Romeo 33-3 with different wheels.

Compare it to the Politoys Alfa Romeo 33.

When you race them, the Gran Toros goes much faster - better wheels and axles!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL