Star Wars is coming
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
General discussions about Hot Wheels

TOPIC: Star Wars is coming

Star Wars is coming 4 years, 9 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
I am not a collector of HW other than a few that have stuck with me since my childhood.
However, I came across their Star War issues this year. I guess Disney (Lucas) and HW have struck a bargain for licensing.

HW has done a series of cars resembling Star Wars characters or have some trait that can be associated with a particular character. They also have released a series of numerous ship models. My son received a Millennium Falcon from a birthday party and he and I have been hooked since. He is a huge Star Wars fan, and although I am not so much in my older years, I do remember Star Wars being a big part of my life when I was about is age (12). They also reminded me of the original diecast series from 1977/78 by Kenner. The Kenners were about 4" to 7" long depending on model

There are quite a few models in this HW series. Some of the same model have variations and there are also packaging variations as well. They are about 3" long. They all come with a "Flight Navigaor" which is a display stand. The stand also hooks on to your finger so you can wave your hand around and make like they are soaring and zooming through space !!!!!

My son and I are on a mission to collect as many as possible. So far this is what we got........ you will see they come individual or in multiples and there are various packaging colour and print.

Fist Order Transporter and Resistance X Wing (Blue 3 wings opened)

Tie Fighter (notice it has short wings) and Ghost

First Order Tie Fighter and Millennium Falcon
Notice the Tie is black body
Notice the Falcon has a squared off radar dish

X Wing Red 3 (wings open), Poe's X Wing and X Wing Red 5 (wings closed)

First Order Special Forces Tie Fighter (this version is black body but has a red panel on the side of the cockpit)
Tie Fighter (notice it has taller wings)

Y Wing Fighter and Naboo Starfighter

Obi Wan's Jedi Starfighter and Slave 1

Millennium Falcon (notice this version has a rounded radar dish)
and Vulture Droid

Phantom and Rebel Snowspeeder

And for comparison my collection of the original Kenner series. I am only missing the elusive Tie Bomber which fetches crazy prices. There is one on eBay right now with current bidding over $100USD and not mint. My collection has a few scratches and such but all parts are there!

Millennium Falcon, Snowspeeder, Twin Pod, Tie Fighter, Darth Vader Tie Fighter, Imperial Star Destroyer, X Wing, Y Wing and Land Cruiser. The X Wing's wings open and close, the Destroyer has a detachable escape pod underneath inside an opening door and the two Tie Fighters have a removable cockpit seat with a Darth Vader character (don't know why he is in both vehicles). These are a couple to a few inches larger than the new HW series

Last Edit: 4 years, 7 months ago by Tick.

Re: Star Wars is coming 4 years, 9 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Quite a post Tick, thanks for all that. Although I like the Star wars movies, I do not collect those models. Still, I remember borrowing the Milllenium Falcon around 1986 or so from someone. The model was huge, and very detailed. We decided to make a short stop-motion movie with those models, got 20 seconds of film, which took so much time, that we never carried on with it......
Last Edit: 4 years, 9 months ago by Keesie.

Re: Star Wars is coming 4 years, 9 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Ah this reminds me of christmas 1983 when I got a millennium falcon and a shed load of figures and the AT-AT I also got one of the legs came off on Boxing Day!

Re: Star Wars is coming 4 years, 9 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Yep. Most young boys will have many memories of Star Wars toys. Almost 4 decades later, young boys still have so many toys to choose from both old and new. Wow what a franchise!

Kenner pretty much had the monopoly during the original releases. Modern day though, it seems there are so many models, toys, games, figures, etc made by so many.

These original Kenner were diecast and plastic and about the size of your palm or hand. Kenner also made models that were huge and everything inbetween. I had a Falcon that opened up any you could play with your figures inside. Wish I knew where it ended up.

Re: Star Wars is coming 4 years, 9 months ago #5

Great topic. I am a Star Wars fan, but never got any  models of the ships. My son built a few Revell kits and Lego Star Wars kits. He sold them a few months ago.
Last Edit: 4 years, 9 months ago by RoutemasterNL.

Re: Star Wars is coming 4 years, 9 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Hi Tick

I had posted this in one of the other forums ,had it 35 years purchased it from a table top (car boot ) in Coalville (where Palitoy factory was in England ) . My son had a lot of star wars toys at the time so i purchased it for him, when i got it home we found out that not many if any were issued in UK , all the ones you have he had and were issued in the UK  PAYED £0.50p

TIE BOMBER  130mm wide X 110 mm long X 60 mm high

Last Edit: 4 years, 9 months ago by LUFF.

Re: Star Wars is coming 4 years, 9 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Have they ever reissued the original big millenium falcon the one where the top lifts off with the electronic sounds etc?

Re: Star Wars is coming 4 years, 9 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
LUFF wrote:

TIE BOMBER  130mm wide X 110 mm long X 60 mm high

THAT'S IT !! THAT'S IT !!!!!!!!

Oh how I would love that bomber. The one I am watching on eBay now is about the same condition as yours and sitting at $102 USD. Nice return on your investment
Last Edit: 4 years, 9 months ago by Tick.

Re: Star Wars is coming 4 years, 9 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
I have no idea how many models are in this new HW series. In fact I even emailed Mattel to ask. Can you believe they could not answer ???????

They actually responded by indicating they do not know. What the .......????

I though HW were always well catalogued.

Anyways, if any HW enthusiasts out there have some of these, please please please share so we can see what we need

Re: Star Wars is coming 4 years, 9 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
That bomber went for $188 USD, the most I have ever seen one go for !!!!!!

Re: Star Wars is coming 4 years, 7 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Supply has been very dry for these Hot Wheels Star Wars ships. I hope the line up is not dead now as the movie release has now settled down. Walmart, Toys r Us, etc don't seem to be replenishing the shelves. There were several other models I still want to get that came out early in the series release. Mattel does not seem to be shipping any more???? That can only mean gouging by re-sellers. Oh, well that's how our hobby works.

Very lucky for me though that I was browsing local online classifieds (Kijiji) and found a lot from the early release. These models are hard to find now at a retail level. The woman explained her husband bought them way before Xmas for their 3 year old as a gift but he showed no interest in them. For whatever reason they decided to sell them and were asking pretty much what was paid retail. I was shocked they were still available as her post was a few weeks old.

Well, I am a happy boy with these new, unexpected and difficult finds.....

Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle and Darth Vader's Tie Advanced X1 Prototype

Republic Attack Gunship and Resistance X Wing Blue 3 (with wings closed)

Last Edit: 4 years, 7 months ago by Tick.

Re: Star Wars is coming 4 years, 7 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Very nice and there have been a few from the movie on the pegs over in Grand Forks. I will have to take a look as today is shopping day and I will be driving over the mountains to do that. Will let you know if I find anything of worth.

Re: Star Wars is coming 4 years, 7 months ago #13

Good find Tick, you collections is coming together fine

Re: Star Wars is coming 4 years, 7 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Mon Calamari Cruiser and Star Destroyer are two I have yet to see anywhere but I know they were at one time at Walmart online

I have seen only pictures of an ATAT, and some other land speeders, etc that I don't even know the names of. There are a few "gold" editions as well such as the Millenium Falcon cast all in shiny gold

Re: Star Wars is coming 4 years, 7 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
I love the films and I have a small collection of books, but I can not get into the toys or models, they simply do not interest me and that coming from an obsessive model car collector, is strange, you would have thought I would transfer my obsessive nature to anything as I have done with my collection of Sony Playstation games consoles and my overall Sony HI-FI, TV and Audio collection, but those excellent models shown above do nothing for me!

Rollerman.