Whether you restore, customize, build dioramas or want help and advice with any of the above, here's where to go!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky 661

Dinky 661 1 month, 1 week ago #1

<p>I have a question concerning the washer which holds the ratchet clip in place. I deliverd this clip to a customer and he asked me if the washer is also available as a spare.</p>
<p>To be honest, it looks like an ordinary washer to me, can anyone confirm that? If not, what is so special about it? This Dinky is not in my possession, so I can't compare it.</p>
<p>Any thoughts on it?</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>

Re: Dinky 661 1 month ago #2

Has anyone got a clue?

Re: Dinky 661 3 weeks, 5 days ago #3

Platinum Boarder
I just took a look at mine which is all original. The washer does not look like anything special to me other than the size. It is quite small. It appears to be the same metal as the clip although mine has lost most of its shiny finish that the clip has. Moves independently from the clip so nothing that locks it in place or attached to the clip
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Dinky 661 3 weeks, 5 days ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Mine does not have the original hook but I always though the string was. When looking at the washer I noticed the string is over 2 feet long. Does that seem right for stock string. That's a lot although it all does wind up around the wheel

Re: Dinky 661 3 weeks, 5 days ago #5

Thanks Tick. I have to use a standard washer then, perhaps adapt the size a bit.
All non essential shops are in lockdown in NL, so I have to browse my stock.

Never knew about the length of the string. 2 feet seems a bit long indeed

Re: Dinky 661 3 weeks, 5 days ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Theo, like Keesie does, take an old hard drive apart of an old stereo to maybe find a thin washer as it looks quite thin to me from here. I have a bin of washers in my garage and there is probably one in there but at -10C I don't get out there very often right now. Give me diameter and thickness and size of hole and I can probably find one. They mostly come from the 1940's to 1960's as they were from my Grandfather and he was a Ford Mechanic all his life. He passed away in 1982 and I got all his tools and parts. I even helped a guy with a model A Ford at a car show here once years ago. He needed a new carburettor bolt and I had 3 so I gave them to him. He was very happy and could not believe I had three as he could not find one from any of his collector buddies. LOL, you just never know what is in my Grandfathers stuff.

Re: Dinky 661 3 weeks, 2 days ago #7

Thanks Jim, because I don't own the 661 (a customer does) can't I give you the measurements. I have replied my customer to go a search for a normal small washer that he can adapt to the correct size. He is a Handy Andy, so it will work out for him.

Re: Dinky 661 3 weeks, 2 days ago #8

Platinum Boarder
That would work as he probably already has the washer in is stash like mine. Been really cold lately and going to be in the -10 to -20C over the next few days and then getting colder. I don't really want to go out to may unheated garage and start looking through metal parts. If you give me the outside and inside diameter of the washer and the thickness I can take my trays of washers and put them in my warm room in the garage. Power tools, paints, oils, greases and other liquids that can't be frozen are in that room and I keep it between 12 and 16C in the winter.
Let me know either here or via eMail

Re: Dinky 661 3 weeks, 1 day ago #9

Don't go out in the cold. I got a message from the client that he has solved the problem with a standard washer.

Re: Dinky 661 3 weeks, 1 day ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Okay Theo. I had thought about this yesterday as it was -14 or so and remembered I had a Dinky Land Rover I restored but forgot to put the shims back on the axles when I assembled it. Not a big deal but I was going to hunt them our of my stash today and send them to you. Good to hear he found something that will work for him. I also though of my old Meccano Builders set as there were lots of screws and washers in the set I have. Gave a new Meccano set to our Grandson for Christmas. He is ten years old next month and it is the perfect gift for him and he told me he loved it. That was good news. Maybe next year I will build on that set for him as a Christmas gife.

Re: Dinky 661 2 weeks, 3 days ago #11

This is the solution for the missing washer

Re: Dinky 661 2 weeks, 3 days ago #12

Platinum Boarder
It works so what the heck. Suits the truck too, sort of mechanical in nature.
  • Page: