My first restoration.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Whether you restore, customize, build dioramas or want help and advice with any of the above, here's where to go!
  • Page:

TOPIC: My first restoration.

My first restoration. 3 years, 7 months ago #1

Fresh Boarder
As a kid, I was given (and sadly destroyed) many Dinky toys.

I have decided to try to get some of my youth back, by getting the models back again. 

My first "project" is a Mighty Antar.

It has one of the ramps missing (I have a replacement on order) but all the tyres and the driver are intact.

Any tips on how to restore it please?

Re: My first restoration. 3 years, 7 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Welcome to Planet Diecast from BC Canada. Your first restoration is not that hard, just large. Good to hear you have the tires and driver intact. No need to repaint the driver as he can be washed up nicely unless he is damaged of course. Take pictures of your work as you go. See my notes below.

If you go to one of my threads "Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy" and go to thread #25, you will see some of the work I did on my Mighty Antar. I do not seperate the trailer from the cab. I take out all axles and the ramp axle too as you have to replace one ramp. Drill rivets out and use replacements. There are a number of types from cast rivets like I sell to pop rivets to small screws and everything in between. Here is a link to the start of the thread. Page 2 has the Centurion Tank and the Antar starting there.
www.planetdiecast.com/index.php?option=c...d=73737&Itemid=0
This should get you started but don't be afraid to ask questions.

Re: My first restoration. 3 years, 7 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Wow, this is...In at the deep end isn't it!

Good luck with the resto and as Jim says, pictures please!

By the way, welcome to the forum from the UK.

Rollerman.

Re: My first restoration. 3 years, 7 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Here is a link to my full restoration for your Antar.

http://s77.photobucket.com/user/Nobleco/library/Dinky%20660%20Mighty%20Antar%20Tank%20Transporter?sort=9&page=1

I even had to weld up the rear for one of the ramps.

It came with a broken ear on the rear as you can see.

Thought I should show you the finished product. This is welded with a Hot Air Gun and proper Diecast solder for welding it solid. Used in Air Conditioning to join Aluminum to Copper for the Cooling unit.

Last Edit: 3 years, 6 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: My first restoration. 3 years, 6 months ago #5

Fresh Boarder
Cheers all.

Anyone tell me what paint I need. I have seen mention of "Olive Drab", is it the model paint in that colour, or do I need something else?

Also, to make it authentic, do I need to add Lead?

Re: My first restoration. 3 years, 6 months ago #6

Fresh Boarder
TheRollerman wrote:
Wow, this is...In at the deep end isn't it!

Good luck with the resto and as Jim says, pictures please!

By the way, welcome to the forum from the UK.

Rollerman.

I'm also in the UK, and not a million miles from you

Re: My first restoration. 3 years, 6 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
In the UK,,, anywhere near Leicester as that is where my supplier is and you can pick up the paint directly from him or at one of the fairs he attends.

I see your quite a ways away from him. About 154 miles so a bit far. He does not ship paint unless it is through a courier and that is too much for me here in Canada but might be worth it for you, specially if you need ramps and tires for your Antar. Drag Green his number 25 paint in his catalogue.
Last Edit: 3 years, 6 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: My first restoration. 3 years, 6 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
looking forwards to how you get on with this .

Re: My first restoration. 3 years, 6 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Yes best wishes with the Antar restoration Trevatnus and lookforwrd to hearing more later!

Re: My first restoration. 3 years, 6 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
See post 4 for updated picture on the welding of the rear ear for the ramp.
  • Page: