Do you collect every variation?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
The place to discuss classic muscle cars (old and new)!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Do you collect every variation?

Do you collect every variation? 8 years ago #1

Fresh Boarder
Just curious to hear about the collecting habits of others. I collect 1/18 muscle cars, and when the American Muscle pieces started coming out in the early 1990s, I would buy each color, each body style, etc. That became impossible by the late 90s, as the companies were producing as many variations, colors, wheel styles, etc, as possible.

So I had to narrow my focus, and now I just go after the "big" muscle cars (Biscaynes, Fairlanes, Impalas, Torinos, SuperBees, etc). And I usually just pick one color variation of each, or if an edition comes out that has a super-low production run (like a SuperCar or MIC piece), I'll go after that one.

How about everyone else?

Re: Do you collect every variation? 8 years ago #2

Welcome to the site from a fellow collector from The Netherlands.

My collection comprises mainly Routmaster buses. I cannot collect all of them, but try collecting as much as possible. With about 350-400 different ones in my collection  it is getting there, but I think there are at least 200-250 liveries I haven't got.

Just got to be patient and keep collecting money in order to spend it.
Last Edit: 8 years ago by RoutemasterNL.

Re: Do you collect every variation? 8 years ago #3

I collect a few different makes...

Military Dinkies from start of business to about 1970.. mint and boxed when I can afford them....

Spot on from 1959 until they closed in 1967, harder to get but really nice items...

Dinky catalogues until close of business..

Then again , if I see something that appeals to me...

Collecting is like hunting... part of the thrill is finding that elusive beast...

but remember its a 

Niall

Re: Do you collect every variation? 8 years ago #4

Platinum Boarder
I don't generally go for variations, unless there's a very good reason, which could be...

I've been searching for a lost childhood model for ages and it seems impossible, so finally I buy a variation with wrong wheels/headlights etc. - later on, the right one suddenly turns up, in this case I'd buy it.

I collect models of modern cars currently used as taxis. With these, even a small facelift of the real car is enough to search out an updated diecast version.

I collect Le Mans and NASCAR models. This does of course mean lots of different models of the same 'base-car' (many different Porsche 956, Chevy Lumina etc.) but never the same one twice - I go for the car looking like the one that actually raced and nothing else.

There are also a few models I have in various versions by mere 'coincidence', like if they were included in lots or were in better condition than previous ones in my collection... I have 3 different Dinky Toys Ford D800 Johnston Road Sweepers for example.

It's not that variants don't interest me, it's just that there are so many great models out there that I'd like to have and once I have one that I'm satisfied with, I'd rather spend my money on one I still miss, than on a duplicate with different wheels.

Re: Do you collect every variation? 8 years ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Variations can be a bugger to get as I personally have found out with Corgi Toys Jaguar mark 10, I've tried twice to get all eleven variants but ended up giving up as it would have taken too long to get them all.

With trying to buy all colour variations of model that too can be awkward as one colour maybe worth more than another, But I only go for variations if i like a particular model or it is available in racing trim. 

You will then end up with lots of the same car but different colours and that can be annoying as with Hotwheels I have many variations of the same model but do not collect them any more due that purpose.

Re: Do you collect every variation? 8 years ago #6

Platinum Boarder
I just can't help myself sometimes, if something takes my fancy and I like the look of the item, then I might chase them although price is always held in check. Tanks, guns and other military vehicles adorne my collection while civilian construction and transport vehicles also take a small priority spot instead of cars. Then again I have a tendency to collect small scale muscles mainly those from Hot Wheels and Matchbox. Moreover, I am a collector maniac.

Yes and welcome aboard the good planet diecast.
Last Edit: 8 years ago by GunnerJim.

Re: Do you collect every variation? 7 years, 11 months ago #7

Senior Boarder
Speaking about variations I have something to ask. I'm not very familiar with ERTL's muscle models. A classic american models collector told me that their level of manufacturing and details is in the Maisto range. After this I discovered their Authentics line and saw this beauty bellow. I discovered nice details there: real hinges, carpet, detailed engine. Now I want to ask, the Authentics models are coming in a different package? how can be distinguished? For example to identify an ERTL Authentics on ebay, where more sellers describe the model only being an ERTL product.

Thanks!

Re: Do you collect every variation? 7 years, 11 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
It's a good thing you're not collecting matchbox model A Ford van because there are over 500 versions.

Re: Do you collect every variation? 7 years, 11 months ago #9

Visitor
Not a completest, but try to collect MOPAR-only, whenever humanly possible.

Re: Do you collect every variation? 7 years, 11 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
> ... to identify an ERTL Authentics...

Three pages of ERTL Authentics are listed here - many are pictured and reveiwed.
www.diecast.org/diecast98/html/asp/list_...qx/reviewresults.htm

Not sure if the list is complete or not.  But it should be a good start!

One of my favorites, in a great color too:
www.diecast.org/diecast98/html/asp/list_...502/qx/reviewpix.htm

and some more pics:
http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=365399

The box might help ID them as well:

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=RC2%20ERTL%20Authentics&index=toys&search-type=ss

ERTL was acquired by RC, thus look for RC2 Authentics as well:

http://www.rcertl.com/history.asp
Last Edit: 7 years, 11 months ago by karls.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 289Cobra, Playcars

Re: Do you collect every variation? 7 years, 11 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Very good info you have there Karls. I am sure the guys here will like that.

Re: Do you collect every variation? 7 years, 11 months ago #12

Senior Boarder
I don't have the room or the budget to collect every variation, so I'll usually pick my favorite one or two colors and get those. Although if some super-limited edition comes out, I might snag one even if it's not in my favorite hue.

Re: Do you collect every variation? 7 years, 11 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
only big scale 1/18 model I collected in many varying colours was Bburago Ferrari 456GT.

Got that one in red, dark met.blue, light met.blue, silver, gunmetal grey, and a special on a wooden block maroon.
Go figure that I also like the shape of the Porsche 944 but haven't found an affordable one yet in 18th scale. Biggest is 1/43rd Matchbox Super Kings of the Porsche 944 and several Corgi 924.

So... who wants to see all my front engined Ferrari's???

Re: Do you collect every variation? 7 years, 11 months ago #14

Senior Boarder
Thank you Karls, this is a complete answer!
  • Page: