Only Mustang Makes It Happen!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
The place to discuss classic muscle cars (old and new)!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Only Mustang Makes It Happen!

Only Mustang Makes It Happen! 8 years, 2 months ago #1

Administrator
This isn't exactly new, as I got it at the Nuremberg Toy Fair last year, but I didn't take pics of it til now. It's a 1/18 Greenlight 1968 Ford Mustang GT with a 390 in metallic blue with black interior. Must say, I do like these big-scale GLs, and I especially like their boxes, which keep them nice and secure without having to bolt them to plinths, which makes them much easier to take out and admire, then put back!

The '67-'68 Mustang is, of course, the first "upsizing" of the original Mustang, and the '68 had the "Only Mustang Makes It Happen!" ad jingle that will never leave your brain! Here is the commercial on YouTube:

And here are the lyrics so you can sing along:

Only Mustang makes it happen,
Only Mustang makes life great!
Mustang moves you, Mustang grooves you.
Mustang, Mustang, '68!

Only Mustang has the key!
Mustang warms you, and transforms you!
Mustang, Mustang sets you free!

Free to be the guy you wanna be!
Free to be the girl you're gonna be!
And if you think it's never never gonna come true,
It's gonna happen, when Mustang happens to you!

Let it happen, it's your fate!
Mustang's fallen, have a ball in
Mustang, Mustang, '68!

(instrumental)

(spoken) What is it about Mustang that makes it happen? Maybe it's the new styling for '68! Features to choose from like select-shift, and AM-FM stereo radio. Maybe it's standards like bucket seats, or options like a new 302 V8, and bold, racy hood stripes. Or maybe it's just the original idea; the better idea called Mustang!

(instrumental)

Only Mustang makes life great!
Mustang warms you, and transforms you.
Mustang, Mustang, '68!

Only Mustang has the key!
Mustang moves you, Mustang grooves you.
Mustang, Mustang sets you free!

Free to be the guy you wanna be!
Free to be the girl you're gonna be!
And if you think it's never never gonna come true,
It's gonna happen, when Mustang happens to you!

Let it happen, it's your fate!
Mustang's fallen, have a ball and,
Mustang, Mustang, '68!

Only Mustang makes it happen!
Mustang, Mustang, '68!

Re: Only Mustang Makes It Happen! 8 years, 2 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Nice model, I use to own the equivalent Cougar.

Seriously you do not want to hear me sing that jingle  

Re: Only Mustang Makes It Happen! 8 years, 2 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
not heard that in a number of decades. I was in grade 11 when that came out. LOL I had a '61 Galaxie

Re: Only Mustang Makes It Happen! 8 years, 1 month ago #4

Platinum Boarder
thought I saw a younger Barbara Feldon (Agent 99) with shorter hair sitting in one of the 'Stangs

Re: Only Mustang Makes It Happen! 8 years, 1 month ago #5

Platinum Boarder
That is one fantastic looking model and the song from the advert is quite catchy.

Re: Only Mustang Makes It Happen! 8 years, 1 month ago #6

Administrator
RVREVO wrote:
thought I saw a younger Barbara Feldon (Agent 99) with shorter hair sitting in one of the 'Stangs

LOL, I never noticed, but you're right!

One of the most interesting things about the ad for me is that the people shown owning the Mustangs aren't exactly aspirational figures. The message seems to be "If you're a bumbling businessman, stereotype frumpy spinster librarian or comedy old married couple, if you you buy one of these cars, you'll automatically become cool!" That's quite a contrast with most car advertising (even from the same era) which usually showed people who were already cool driving whatever vehicle was being advertised, with the message being "buy one of these and you'll be cool like these people are!" 

I can't embed it, but check out this ad for the Ford Mustang II from about 8 years later to see what I mean (complete with new catchy slogan: "Mustang:2 Boredom:0!")...

http://www.mustangii.net/boredom_commercial.asp

"

Re: Only Mustang Makes It Happen! 8 years, 1 month ago #7

Platinum Boarder
I think a Mustang 2 would have been harder to sell ?

Re: Only Mustang Makes It Happen! 8 years, 1 month ago #8

Platinum Boarder
I think they sold well in Canada. At least I used to see lots of them when they first came out. Only problem was they had a bad reputation here. Lemons comes to mind and they are an ugly little car and don't do the Mustang name any justice or favors.

Re: Only Mustang Makes It Happen! 8 years, 1 month ago #9

Administrator
Actually, if I remember right, the Mustang II has two of the best-ever sales figure years in Mustang history and sold well throughout it's life; much better than the '71-'73 Mustangs which were the last version of the original car. The II was still sporty (for the time) and much more gas-efficient which was what the 70's were all about.

Re: Only Mustang Makes It Happen! 8 years, 1 month ago #10

Platinum Boarder
That looks great. I had a ride in a Mustang last year,the owner wernt much of a driver,three kerbs in less than a mile. (British roads are narrow)
Frame.

Re: Only Mustang Makes It Happen! 8 years, 1 month ago #11

Platinum Boarder
friend of the family has a '64 notchback. closest I've been to any 'stang was sitting in the driver's seat of a '09 Cobra Mustang which was in a showroom... perks of the job.
  • Page: