Maisto All Stars and Pro Rodz Grunt Cars.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
The place to discuss classic muscle cars (old and new)!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Maisto All Stars and Pro Rodz Grunt Cars.

Maisto All Stars and Pro Rodz Grunt Cars. 9 years, 12 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Maisto have come a long way in their development since those yearly days when they were founded from the May Tat Toy and May Cheong MC Toy logo that can cast their eyes back to the 1967 days gone by.

Should these be in Can't Resist thread or not, although they are reasonably new on the shelves here in Australia, I'll say new ones on the block.

Similar price to Hotwheels Harry\'s garage and Matchbox Authentic Body and Chassis that include a little bit extra on the basic design of each model collectible toy vehicles in the mainstream. These won\'t break the piggy bank either. Well it might if the collector decides to buy the hole bundle at once, which might run into the odd $100 bucks or so. Then again sometimes a collector wouldn\'t hesitate in spending that amount or more on a good condition Dinky. I know, I cannot help my self. 

So we have the very attractive hanger type blister card encouraging that quick glance to say: I like it, buy me now. Impressive is the description telling the potential buyer it is the 1965 Chevrolet Malibu SS in Cream body and black roof, or if one would like to say, two tone.  While the tyres look neat, like if real, as one can see from underneath, they have even painted in the exhaust system how clever is that.

Some say they like to see the engine hood open and some say it will fall off, although in this case the hinges look solid enough to withstand some punishment.  Which is good.  In close inspection Maisto have chromed the engine in different colours with silver dominating the profile while the rocker covers are in red and some goldie looking smidgen outlining some of the peripheral parts. Looks great really, trust meee.

This one is my favorite pick so far, the 1969 Oldsmobile 442, with really good looking paint finish and well presented and those extra treaded tyres, similar in design to the Hotwheel system sets them apart.

Side on evaluation, well I think the Chevy Malibu SS looks too chunky around the waist line. The red 1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS body looks good and paint finish again is superb with all three.

Maisto could have at least made the doors open on this one or even the boot lid (luggage compartment)  This model collectible metal base plate has been polished while it is held together to the body by very small screws. Believe it or not so if one doesn\'t like their colour scheme then just unscrew and paint it. Now that is fantastic.

Those red tail-lights stand out so does those exhaust outlets, impressive to say the least of these two Grunts.

The Pro Rodz are are a little higher in price although there is just that little bit extra effort included in the detail.

The 1955 Buick Century could have even looked better if Maisto had produced this car stock standard while the large chunky rear wheels give it the muscle car image of a Grunt.

Most of them are painted underneath showing the exhaust detail.

I thought the grill on this 1960 Ford Starliner is a bit bland although the rest of the body is well designed for it size.

The Ford Starline looks better from the rear showing finer detail than the front.

All in all comparison with Hotwheels I think Maisto is on the march and could capture some of those dedicated Hotwheel fans into collecting these impressive model car collectibles at the affordable price of a few dollars.

They tell me the Stig had something to do with it, although they say that the Stig has test driven these incredible die-cast and plastic toys around the bend for all petrol head grunts.

Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by GunnerJim.

Re:Maisto All Stars and Pro Rodz Grunt Cars. 9 years, 12 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
I have looked at the Buick a few times but hesitated. I would have bought a stock version as you suggest, I am not a fan of rat rods but I liked this Hot Rod.

SAM_1012.JPG

Re:Maisto All Stars and Pro Rodz Grunt Cars. 9 years, 12 months ago #3

Maisto has improved leaps and bounds in the last five years. I just picked up the new International Prostar flatbed wrecker with \'29 Ford coupe, and it is an amazing looking truck. Will post pics shortly. Nice looking cars across the series they produce, and you\'re right about the screw assembly. Miastos are easy to customize, but with the little tampo details, it makes it difficult to strip the bodies.

Re:Maisto All Stars and Pro Rodz Grunt Cars. 9 years, 12 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Is that from the Elite Transport Series? If so they look drop dead gorgeous. I wiil have to hunt in Sydney for them.

Meantime have to make do with this.

SAM_1515.JPG

Re:Maisto All Stars and Pro Rodz Grunt Cars. 9 years, 12 months ago #5

Yes, from the elite transport series. It\'s a DuraStar, not the ProStar. Really should start wearing my glasses more often. There were two on the peg, this one in black and another in white, I think. There was also a generic looking one in purple, kind of a Ford looking thing.

Maisto_Duarastar_tc_size.jpg

Re:Maisto All Stars and Pro Rodz Grunt Cars. 9 years, 12 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
I\'ll have to ask the manager if they are going to get the Elite Transport in.

Re:Maisto All Stars and Pro Rodz Grunt Cars. 9 years, 12 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
This one I think should be black with flames.
SAM_1532.JPG

Re:Maisto All Stars and Pro Rodz Grunt Cars. 9 years, 12 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Who made the red Merc two door like is it plastic I am not sure. I agree if they could produce the original design with say a custom design without going overboard would be terrific.

Re:Maisto All Stars and Pro Rodz Grunt Cars. 9 years, 12 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
It\'s a Maisto All Stars, as you suggested easy to dismantle so I thougt I might redo as described.

Re:Maisto All Stars and Pro Rodz Grunt Cars. 9 years, 12 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Maisto Z28
SAM_1523.JPG

Re:Maisto All Stars and Pro Rodz Grunt Cars. 9 years, 11 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
There we go where is my screw driver.

Re:Maisto All Stars and Pro Rodz Grunt Cars. 9 years, 11 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
They have some interesting paint schemes

SAM_1522.JPG

Re:Maisto All Stars and Pro Rodz Grunt Cars. 9 years, 11 months ago #13

Yes they do. I\'ll get some pics of the ones I have here taken this morning. The multicolor paint schemes they use are very nice. They also have some unique castings in their lines.

Re:Maisto All Stars and Pro Rodz Grunt Cars. 9 years, 11 months ago #14

Here are a couple more from the Elite Transport series. I\'ve had these for a while now. The white one has a 36 Chevy rat pick up and the black one a 55 Buick.

Re:Maisto All Stars and Pro Rodz Grunt Cars. 9 years, 11 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Really nice aren\'t they, like the so-cal scallops
  • Page: