Favorite LeMans Collectible?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Any sort of racing that isn't covered by either of the above two forums!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Favorite LeMans Collectible?

Favorite LeMans Collectible? 9 years, 3 months ago #1

Fresh Boarder
I've recently embarked on a mission to acquire collectibles that replicate overall or class winners from every year of Le Mans. Anyone else have such an obsession?

My favorite piece so far is the CMC 1/18 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Competizione that won it's class and finished 3rd overall in 1961. The thing is just beautiful inside and out. Just thought I'd share:

Re: Favorite LeMans Collectible? 9 years, 3 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
With a beautiful classic car like this, a scale of 1/18 AND a product from CMC, you're sure to have a reall winner!

I collect Le Mans cars as well, but 'just' 1/43 scale and most of them are from 'budget' brands like Ixo, Altaya, Onyx/Vitesse/Quartzo. Only a few are from the likes of Minichamps, Spark and so on.

My favorite? Well, that's a tough one. I like the classic Porsches like 917, 956 and 962, but I also like the Corvettes of recent years, the Panoz and some of the more obscure ones like Spyker and MG/Lola.

The fact that I like so many different cars is also the reason why I've chosen not to concentrate on race winners, like you, but a broader selection of racers, mainly from the 80s and later. Sometimes I get an overall race winner, sometimes it's a car that crashed out on the warm-up lap

Re: Favorite LeMans Collectible? 9 years, 3 months ago #3

Senior Boarder
Not that I am biased or anything, but mine would be Exoto's 1/18 Cobra Daytona Coupe, #5, which won it's class in '64.

Someday I hope to land the one with the Dan Gurney figure.

Re: Favorite LeMans Collectible? 9 years, 3 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
I think Old Irish might be able to show you some of his LeMans colletion. I believe his is quite extensive.

Re: Favorite LeMans Collectible? 9 years, 3 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Very nice CMC Ferrari!  I also have several CMC and AutoArt models and really enjoy them, as well as my Dinky Toys.  I have the AutoArt 1953 C-Type Jaguar that won Le Mans that year, but will have to post a picture tomorrow.

Terry

Re: Favorite LeMans Collectible? 9 years, 3 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Here is the winner of the 1956 Le Mans, the D-Type Jaguar entered by the private team of Ecurie Ecosse from Scotland.  It was driven by Ron Flockhart and Ninian Sanderson.  This model is by Spark, and is painted the correct team color of Flag Metallic Blue.  Note the full wraparound windshield that was required after the terrible 1955 accident....it somewhat spoiled the beauty of the D-Type and also limited the top speed.

Last Edit: 9 years, 3 months ago by dinkyfan.

Re: Favorite LeMans Collectible? 9 years, 3 months ago #7

That is a pretty car Terry, thanks for sharing. I don't have any Le Mans cars so, but am always interested in the race itself, so I shall follow this topic 

It is very detailled. Is it in 1/18?

The D and E types are imho the nicest Jaguars
Last Edit: 9 years, 3 months ago by RoutemasterNL.

Re: Favorite LeMans Collectible? 9 years, 3 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Theo--Thanks....it is a nice model of a D-Type, and is actually only 1:43 scale, so not large.  It does have a lot of detail, however, and it shows well.  I think I bought it about a year or so ago.

I also agree that both the D-Type and E-Type were the most beautiful Jaguars, and also two of my all time favorite cars.  They both have sensuous styling with beautiful swooping front fenders.  I even like the 1955 factory long nose D-Types a little better...they have the headrest and tail fin faired together and slightly smoother front fenders.  Here are some pics of my AutoArt 1:12 scale model...this is not the Le Mans winning car of 1955, but other than number, is identical.  I have also included a picture of the 1953 C-Type Jaguar that won Le Mans that year, driven by Duncan Hamilton (next to a 1954 D-Type).   For those not familiar with Le Mans, D-Types won in 1955, 1956, and 1957 when they came in 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6th.....an amazing feat!

Terry

1955 Long nose D-Type Jaguar

1953 Le Mans winning C-Type Jaguar on the left, 1954 D-Type Jaguar on the right

Last Edit: 9 years, 3 months ago by dinkyfan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Favorite LeMans Collectible? 9 years, 3 months ago #9

I couldn't have said it better Terry.

The grille on the C type looks very similar to some of the street cars we see nowadays

Re: Favorite LeMans Collectible? 9 years, 3 months ago #10

Fresh Boarder
Last Edit: 9 years, 3 months ago by miket.

Re: Favorite LeMans Collectible? 9 years, 3 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
TreasureHunter wrote:
I've recently embarked on a mission to acquire collectibles that replicate overall or class winners from every year of Le Mans. Anyone else have such an obsession?

My favorite piece so far is the CMC 1/18 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Competizione that won it's class and finished 3rd overall in 1961. The thing is just beautiful inside and out. Just thought I'd share:

I've just won a 1/43 version of this car!!! It's not exactly the same, but RN#22 from the 1960 LM race. From Mattel Elite (catalogue#MATP9959). Of course it will not be able to compare to a 1/18 CMC, but Mattel Elite models are usually very, very good with lots of photoetched parts, so I'm hoping for a really nice model for my LM collection!

Re: Favorite LeMans Collectible? 8 years, 5 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
As most of you noticed, I collect a smaller size then most of you. Still, you can find some pearls in there:

Shelby Collectables - Aston Martin DBR1

And this one is - although coincedental - also Aston Martin...

though this Porsche is nice too

Re: Favorite LeMans Collectible? 8 years, 5 months ago #13

Nice cars, very detailled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jclevering
  • Page: