To autograph or not to autograph...that is the question.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's the place for NASCAR and any other stock-car related chat!
  • Page:

TOPIC: To autograph or not to autograph...that is the question.

To autograph or not to autograph...that is the question. 9 years ago #1

Fresh Boarder
What are everyone's thoughts on autographed diecast? I've heard that there are basically two schools of thought - one that it adds value, and one that says it de-values a car.

Re: To autograph or not to autograph...that is the question. 9 years ago #2

Interesting question, I really never thought about that before.

if the authograph is authentic and written on a seperate piece of paper or acertificate, that adds to the value i think.

if it is on the car itself, hmmmm, I would not want that, for sure

hope this helps

Re: To autograph or not to autograph...that is the question. 9 years ago #3

Visitor
Fine49 wrote:
What are everyone's thoughts on autographed diecast? I've heard that there are basically two schools of thought - one that it adds value, and one that says it de-values a car.

Yep, some people are psychotic purists and would even argue that opening the box the car came in makes the car no longer mint.  I would guess those folks would say that autographing a car is an unholy sin. 

Me?  Whatever.  The car sets in my display case and they all look alike whether they have an autograph or not.  It is a bonus, but I could really care less either way.  COA's?  Meh.  Those are only worth the paper they are printed on for the most part and can be forged.  Unless you stood there and watched the drivers sign or had purchased from RCCA or the team's shop, an accompanying COA is essentially meaningless.
Last Edit: 9 years ago by .

Re: To autograph or not to autograph...that is the question. 9 years ago #4

Fresh Boarder
All this talk about value-- I guess it depends on what your intentions are after you get the autograph.  I have many autographed diecast, and most of them were obtained either through RCCA, NASCAR.com, or the driver's team store.  I have three diecast that were personally autographed, and I have relatively little opportunity to meet driver's in person, so I consider those three diecast I got auto'd in person priceless and they would be among the last to go if I ever had the need to sell my collection.

Personally, I would never get my most "valuable" diecast autographed for the very reasons MoparBob mentioned-- the purists would think they would be devalued, and I can print a pretty nice COA from my home printer.  I can even put my own nice little sig on there to "verify" the authenticity of the driver's autograph.  That and a buck will get you a soda!  My prototypes, door numbers, and hard to find cars will remain clean, but I do have some cars that were either purchased auto'd or auto'd in person that I value in my collection.
  • Page: