Here's the place for NASCAR and any other stock-car related chat!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Action "Select Net" Car?

Action "Select Net" Car? 9 years ago #1

Fresh Boarder
I was at a swap meet recently and there was a vendor selling some NASCAR collectibles on his table, and noticed some 1/24th scale cars that were in boxes labeled "Select Net". They appeared to just be regular ARC pieces, so can anybody fill me in on what these cars were, and why were they designated "select net"?

Re: Action "Select Net" Car? 9 years ago #2

Visitor
Select Net was an online program Action-Performance concocted in the later 1990's to celebrate their GoRacing.com venture and offer products exclusively online via that website.  Like many things Action-Performance it was short-lived and an essential failure.  The GoRacing.com website went belly up a couple of years after the demise of the Select Net programs.  As far as rarity, the Select Net products really are not, due to the enormous production numbers of all (and arguably current) Action products back then.
Last Edit: 9 years ago by .

Re: Action "Select Net" Car? 9 years ago #3

Fresh Boarder
Thanks MoparBob! Besides packaging, were there any detail differences at all to the Select Net cars, or were they literally just ARC / Platinum cars?

And did Action produce these alongside the ARC and RCCA cars?

Re: Action "Select Net" Car? 9 years ago #4

Visitor
TreasureHunter wrote:
Thanks MoparBob! Besides packaging, were there any detail differences at all to the Select Net cars, or were they literally just ARC / Platinum cars?

And did Action produce these alongside the ARC and RCCA cars?

Weird... I quoted your post and typed a reply but it didn't post...  Ah well.  Trying again...

Yes, these were sold along side of ARC/RCCA products, concurrently, but only through GoRacing.com.

Back in the day, ARCS came with black undercarriages.  One way you could get a car with a grey chassis was to buy a Select Net car.  These were just simply ARC tooled cars with the grey chassis, if I remember correctly. Once the Select Net programs were over, all ARC tooled cars went to the gray undercarriage.  Hope this helps.
Last Edit: 9 years ago by .

Re: Action "Select Net" Car? 9 years ago #5

Fresh Boarder
Hey Bob, correct me if I am wrong, but weren't the SelectNet cars supposed to supplement the elite's?  I thought that they were marketed as "extras" when RCCA ran out of elites and were sold as second runs of elites without serial plates.  I know I have a couple of Dale Jr. pre-rookie cars that I bought in my early days of collecting that I though were elites (and were actually sold to me by an unscrupulous Ebay seller as elites) and they resemble the elite in every way except they have no plates.  I initially suspected they may have been no plate proto's or samples, but after a few years collecting, I came to the conclusion they were SelectNets in elite boxes. (There were no sleeves with these as well!)

Re: Action "Select Net" Car? 9 years ago #6

Visitor
I believe you might be correct.  Regardless, it was yet another failed marketing ploy.
  • Page: