Is Mattel missing a trick by not producing more Dinky Collection models?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Dutch Dinky Society Group Forum: If you are a collector of "Dinky" and/or "Dinky Collection" models, this is the place to be.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is Mattel missing a trick by not producing more Dinky Collection models?

Is Mattel missing a trick by not producing more Dinky Collection models? 8 years, 8 months ago #1

Fresh Boarder
The following of the Dinky Collection has diminished over the last few years, but I believe only or mostly since there are no new models coming out.  Should Mattel not start again producing this range?

Re: Is Mattel missing a trick by not producing more Dinky Collection models? 8 years, 8 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
if demand exceeds supply they might consider it.

usually when a product discontinues is that its not selling.

Re: Is Mattel missing a trick by not producing more Dinky Collection models? 8 years, 8 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Post #1!  Welcome Karel - this is Karl!  I have a few DC but not many.  I thought they stopped those years ago.  When did the issue them?  I did not see any here in the US - except that Target had 4 of them in 2007 for $19.99.  Got them from a discount place after that for 1/2 price...

Re: Is Mattel missing a trick by not producing more Dinky Collection models? 8 years, 8 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
What models do you think they should add to this series ?

Re: Is Mattel missing a trick by not producing more Dinky Collection models? 8 years, 8 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
would be a thrill if they added a couple of Hebmuller's

Re: Is Mattel missing a trick by not producing more Dinky Collection models? 8 years, 8 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Obvious choices, considering their current licensing deals with Ferrari and Lamborgini, coupled with the era of the Dinky Collection cars, would be the Ferrari Daytona 365 and the Lamborghini Miura. Some of the lesser made Corvettes and Thunderbirds could probably also go down well with buyers both sides of the 'pond'.

The real problem, I think, is that all of the really 'safe bets' have already been issued, like the Jaguar E-type, the Mini and the Beetle, so to stay on-topic for the range, they'd have to venture out into more or less unknown territory... Renault Alpine? Opel GT? Citroen SM? VW/Porsche 914? Lotus Caterham Super 7? Morgan 4+4? Jensen Interceptor? Simca 1000 Abarth? I'm not too sure Mattel would like to gamble on any of the above catching on.

Re: Is Mattel missing a trick by not producing more Dinky Collection models? 8 years, 8 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Getting a Super 7 back would be great, considering its been bouncing around in the Superfast 75-series for a couple of decades.

Re: Is Mattel missing a trick by not producing more Dinky Collection models? 8 years, 8 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Therein lies the problem, a difinitive direction. I can see a catch up of some English cars, Hillman Super Minx, Sunbeam Rapier, Sunbeam Tiger, Humber Super Snipe.

Re: Is Mattel missing a trick by not producing more Dinky Collection models? 8 years, 8 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Or a few more Holdens like HQ, EK (Dinky had one), HD, HK, and Monaro

Re: Is Mattel missing a trick by not producing more Dinky Collection models? 8 years, 8 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Mattel has lost the plot and only thinks of Hot Wheels ago go.

Re: Is Mattel missing a trick by not producing more Dinky Collection models? 8 years, 8 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
I heard that if you do not use the trademark after a certain number of years, it becomes public domain.  Is that true?  May be country dependent. Warning - I am not  lawyer!  So when was the last Dinky Toy?

Re: Is Mattel missing a trick by not producing more Dinky Collection models? 8 years, 8 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
They did do some Matchbox 1-75 Series as Dinky and also a bunch of tanks (the first you can see on ToyPedia, the tanks are coming soon).  They also are doing the Editions Atlas - so I think they are fine for now.  Seems a waste to such a fine brand so!

Re: Is Mattel missing a trick by not producing more Dinky Collection models? 8 years, 8 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Doouuh! That was a stoopid question!  Especially since I just read this post yesterday!

https://www.planetdiecast.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=125&id=27278&limit=15&limitstart=120&Itemid=2333

I guess I do not considrer these real, but they do carry the real Dinky name!

Re: Is Mattel missing a trick by not producing more Dinky Collection models? 8 years, 8 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
If my memory serves me well. I think it was Kenner Parker firm of America who had Tonka Toys in 1987 sold the trade name Dinky Toys to Universal International Hong Kong. International was the owner of Matchbox limited.  Universal Ltd relationship with Dinky goes back to those days when Dinky Toys England tried to go off shore with their production in the very early 1980's. How did Kenner Parker end up with trade name would have been possible through the liquidation sale.

So in reality the trade name of Dinky Toys now belongs to Mattel after purchasing Universal Ltd, and if anyone uses the name without permission then they are liable under a court of law. As Corporate Law can be extended world wide, especially when it comes to property rights. The only time a property rights to trade names can be re-used if there is no surviving persons who would have inherit the trade name by default and that might take several hundred years.

Atlas Dinky Toys has obtained permission to use part of the trade name from Mattel if I am reading the information correctly.

Re: Is Mattel missing a trick by not producing more Dinky Collection models? 8 years, 8 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Maybe its the French connection???
  • Page: