Tootsitoys?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Tootsie Toy, Midgetoy, Hubley, Barclay or Orphans, here's where to chat about slush cast!

TOPIC: Tootsitoys?

Re: Tootsitoys? 11 years, 5 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
And here I thought that all tootsie toys made were the crappy little toys I have shown further up the page. Learn something new everyday here in PD

Re: Tootsitoys? 11 years, 5 months ago #17

Platinum Boarder
I think I may have to watch out for these Tootsie Toys. I had no idea they made larger scale with such detail in them. Well worth having at least one in a collection

Re: Tootsitoys? 11 years, 5 months ago #18

Your new cars look very good Graham, If I were you I'd leave them as they are. 

RoutemasterNL
The following user(s) said Thank You: addict

Re: Tootsitoys? 11 years, 5 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
From what you are all saying then it appears that these cute little models should be left as they are and I must admit that I tend to agree. I like good looking models/toys but I also like the older ones showing the signs that they've also had a life and these certainly show that. I think I will definately decide when I atcualy have them in my hands.

One thing I have discovered in my quest to find out more about these cars is that they appear not to have been produced by the 'slush' method. Certainly some of the Tootsie range were produced by this method (the smaller, less detailed versions were) but the Tootsie Graham-Paige toys appear to have been produced in the normal casting method using Zamak as the base material. They were produced from 1933 to 1941 to 'O' scale - 1/43.

So maybe a new section in the forum just for the Tootsie Graham's?  

Only joking but I must admit that I wouldn't have guessed to have gone into this part of the forum if I were a newbie looking for these models but then again, I'm very new to this toy collecting thing and wouldn't have known where to look unless it was headed "Tootsietoys". Just my humble opinion thats all.

Another interesting thing about these toys is that some of the range were known as 'Bild-a-Car (Being English, I want to spell that as Build, so hard to have to spell it Bild   ) and after buying the toy and got it home you then assembled it yourself. The axels were in the first instance had one end with a rivet type end but you had to heat the other end with a match then hammer it flat after assembly of both wheels, this was later changed to a system whereby the axle was supplied in two sections and joined with a central sleeve, a really clever design which meant that as the chassis was joined to the upper bodywork by the axels then different chassis and body could be swapped - a coupe or roadster one day, a sedan another day - brilliant!! This was only on a certain range of the toys, not all.

Anyway, I hope you found that interesting (I did) and I now just have to wait for my Graham's to arrive, can't wait.  

Graham
Last Edit: 11 years, 5 months ago by addict.

Re: Tootsitoys? 11 years, 5 months ago #20

Platinum Boarder
Great stuff and don't forget to post pictures from a couple sides and even the base when you get them.

Re: Tootsitoys? 11 years, 5 months ago #21

Platinum Boarder
Oh I will, don't worry !

Graham

Re: Tootsitoys? 11 years, 5 months ago #22

Platinum Boarder
They've arrived!! And a massive thanks to Ian (the seller) for getting them to me so quickly.

I've taken three shots of each one, front, rear and chassis so you can see all of them clearly.

And an overall shot of the collection (so far   )

Now, obviously these little cuties are knocking on a bit and are showing a lot of wear but I've decided to leave well alone and not restore them, not because I don't think that I'm up to it because I think I am but I like the worn, played with look of these, I may at some point indulge myself and fit replica tyres on them so they display a little better but I will keep the old tyres.

I'm very, very happy to have these in my collection and have slightly rearranged the cabinet so that I can have a 'Tootsietoy Graham' shelf all of it's own.  

Hope you like.

Graham
Last Edit: 11 years, 5 months ago by addict.

Re: Tootsitoys? 11 years, 5 months ago #23

Gold Boarder
Lovely examples of the cars Graham. Great buys!!!
Mark

Re: Tootsitoys? 11 years, 5 months ago #24

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Mark, I'm really pleased with them as you can tell!

Graham

Re: Tootsitoys? 11 years, 5 months ago #25

SUPERSCORE

Be careful in replacing the old tyres for new, the old ones can easily break

Re: Tootsitoys? 11 years, 5 months ago #26

Platinum Boarder
If you keeping them and not restoring them then I would not touch the tires. It will devalue the cars by quite a bit. I would leave them as they are in there  playworn state. Shows that they were loved and played with by someone in the past and lots of colletors really like that. Some on here like to buy ones that are in very bad shape even to the point of white rust and they are cracked and falling apart.

Re: Tootsitoys? 11 years, 5 months ago #27

Platinum Boarder
You see? I learn something on here every time I visit. Excellent advice and something that I hadn't appreciated. I won't touch them - promise!  

I'll just go to the cabinet now and then and appreciate them for what they are. Beautiful in my eyes.

Graham

Re: Tootsitoys? 11 years, 5 months ago #28

Platinum Boarder
If you do ever sell them on you can always sell them with new tires as spares. I Don't think I would be selling these any time soon though. They are really nice, represent an automotive era and the play value of the original toy is very evident in the loving wear some kid gave it. Original is always best but in the case of your Jag XK120 that is a definate resto project, too far gone

Re: Tootsitoys? 11 years, 5 months ago #29

Platinum Boarder
Agreed.

Graham

Re: Tootsitoys? 11 years, 5 months ago #30

Platinum Boarder
Sorry, but why are the Tootsietoys here in the Slush Cast Toys section? Tootsietoys were the first diecast toys and thats why they are different from the slush mold cars by Barclay, Kansas Toy, Lincoln, C.A.W. and others which are made of lead.

I recommend the website by Robert Newson about Tootsietoys. This is the best about this brand. Also very interesting the book "Toostie Toys - World's First Diecast Models" by James Wieland and Edward Force.

For the slush mold cars I recommand the website and the books by Pim Piët

C.A.W. Midget Racer (CWV12B)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dinkydi