Unknown car
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Tootsie Toy, Midgetoy, Hubley, Barclay or Orphans, here's where to chat about slush cast!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Unknown car

Unknown car 10 years, 7 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Does anybody knows something about this car?

Re: Unknown car 10 years, 7 months ago #2

I'm checking, nothing yet. I'll let you know if I find something.

Re: Unknown car 10 years, 7 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
looks like a fifties midget racer.

Lincoln Diecast?

Re: Unknown car 10 years, 7 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Hollow, solid or baseplate? Not that I would recognize it anyway, but I'm sure it would be a good clue to have for the experts

Re: Unknown car 10 years, 7 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
I have been searching for the maker of this slush casted die-cast or should I say white-metal as it really made of the Alloy Antimony used to make lead or tin soldiers from nearly two centuries ago and on into the 1950's. Britains was famous for using this Alloy and only stopped using the lead antimony based alloy in 1956. Its mixture of Lead, Tin and Antimony which the latter is in a powder form and melted together to form this alloy. Antimony is also used in shotgun pallets to make them hard.

As far as my research has revealed that the armoured car could be by Johillco made in England and have ruled out Barclay's, Britains and Charbens of that period by going by the wheels and that it had been Slush molded type. During the early part of the 20 century they had developed a machine to do the spin casting similar to slush moulding which was done by hand in those early days of Britains in the late 1890's.

The Made in England is casted into the barrel of the machine-gun.

Last Edit: 10 years, 7 months ago by GunnerJim.

Re: Unknown car 10 years, 7 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
I think the wheels would give a good clue.

it would narrow the field a bit as many manufacturers went for generic one-type wheels, but this one made an effort to stamp the wheels with details.

makes one wonder if the wheels are original as the detailing didn't extend to the body when the two halves came together.

I wonder if the details on the left flank are mirror image?

Re: Unknown car 10 years, 7 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
These armoured cars have that sort of image.

Although the Unknown car has different wheels front and back is another quondam to think about as it has Made in Britain on the body.

Re: Unknown car 10 years, 7 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
The other thought is the Unknown car might be on of those toys that were made during the Great Depression where some firms or individuals were making toys and going around to different outlets selling them so as to make ends meet during low production sales.

Re: Unknown car 10 years, 7 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
yeah,I really think its not that old.

There's too much fine detailing on both the wheels and the side of the model. Although its a funny angle for the exhaust its not uncommon on midget racers.

Last Edit: 10 years, 7 months ago by RVREVO.

Re: Unknown car 10 years, 7 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
The car was sold as die-cast racing car on ebay.co.uk for unexpected about 30 Euro. Was described as about 7 cm long.

To me the car looks a little bit like a Bugatti "Tank" Type 32. Of course it is not because the wheels were covered on the original.

In the "The Golden Book of Model Cars" by Rampini I could not found  this car.

Re: Unknown car 10 years, 7 months ago #11

So far I've found nothing about this car. It could be listed without a pic, just not seeing it in any of the photos in the books I have.

Re: Unknown car 10 years, 7 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
google image doesn't reveal anything either.

nice one pixmax

however, the Bugatti Type 32 was a two-seater and the body panels were widened over the wheels. Very forward thing in its time.

Whilst the model shown clearly has one driver squeezed in one space.

The proportions appear to be the same as midget racers from the fifties.
Last Edit: 10 years, 7 months ago by RVREVO.

Re: Unknown car 10 years, 7 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Sadly I did not won this car.

But now I did not know for what I am searching for.

Re: Unknown car 10 years, 7 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
try midget racers.

its a short single seater

big gas tank behind driver

big engine before driver

I don't think it hails from the US

Midget racers were popular in the Colonies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GunnerJim

Re: Unknown car 10 years, 7 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Maybe it was a Austin 7
  • Page: