Midgetoy & Tootsietoy collections
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Tootsie Toy, Midgetoy, Hubley, Barclay or Orphans, here's where to chat about slush cast!

TOPIC: Midgetoy & Tootsietoy collections

Re: Midgetoy & Tootsietoy collections 10 years, 11 months ago #31

Platinum Boarder
As long as they are not rare, I would restore them if they were mine.

Re: Midgetoy & Tootsietoy collections 10 years, 11 months ago #32

I'd go ahead and repaint all of them. Just remember if you sell them on at a later date to list them as either code three or a restore. The Midgetoys are going to be a bit difficult to strip and paint because of the way the axles are crimped into the body. There is an excellent how to on removing the axles and wheels from the Tootsie in the how to section. Here is a link to the axle wheel fix thread.

www.planetdiecast.com/index.php?option=c...=4620&Itemid=710

Re: Midgetoy & Tootsietoy collections 10 years, 2 months ago #33

Platinum Boarder
One of my friends gave me this today.  A Midgetoy Rockford  Pat number 2775847 Halftrack. In-fact I cannot understand why these are classified as Slush Cast Toys as these are made in a steel die having closing and opening movement operations and when the die is closed.  The molten metal is forced into the chamber.

A slush moulded die-cast toy has an outer-mould usually made of brass, while the inner is a silicon sand-cast plug inserted. The silicon holds the sand particles together and crumbles after heat has been applied through the injection of the hot liquid-fired metal and then cooled. The sand plug crumbles for easy cleaning. The evidence is that the interface resembles uneven pitted surface of the sand indentations if one had sculptured in sand. If a person looks inside the water jacket area of any motor car block or head, then they will see this same process has been used. Of course the outer surface of the engine block has been formed by a steal master and imprinted into casting very fine black damp sand.

The clean surface on the innercasting of the toy depicted below.

Last Edit: 10 years, 2 months ago by GunnerJim.

Re: Midgetoy & Tootsietoy collections 10 years, 2 months ago #34

Platinum Boarder
Like I remember the van and it has the smooth surface inside from the die surface and most of the others depicted in Wilbr459 picture that I kindly copied into my discussion on Slush or not moulded

Re: Midgetoy & Tootsietoy collections 10 years, 2 months ago #35

Platinum Boarder
A few weeks ago at the Chicago Toy Show, a dealer was selling Midgetoy raw castings (can't remember if it was a train or not) on the sprue straight from the mold!  In a circular pattern.

The brothers sold these as well as plain boxed sets at Chicago in the 1980s and 90s before they passed away!  I only bought one from them!

See http://www.mrrc.info/MIDGETOY/index.html

Re: Midgetoy & Tootsietoy collections 10 years, 2 months ago #36

Platinum Boarder
Interesting link about the Alvin and Earl Herdklotz brothers.  When in 1943 they formed the A & E Tool & Gage Co.  Manly making instruments for measuring the pitch of propellers that were in great demand during World War Two.  After WW2 the brothers ventured into the toy making business.  In 1946, their first toy was the four in one truck set with a degree of success.  By 1947 the brothers next toy was Buck Rogers Space Car and I can imagine that Bucks Car would be on the wish list of every boy and even girls I suppose to have a Buck Rogers toy spacecar. Buck Rogers in those black and white movies on a Saturday Morning and afternoon at the local Cinemas or Picture Theaters and the screams that echoing the roof off still lingers in my mind. I was more of a Hopalong Cassidy kid in those days. Ah yes and Tarzan too with Jane lingers too somewhere amongst that gray matter.

By reading the link above supplied by Karl. I can see how the brothers had made a successful business for themselves against the very heavy competitive toy market of those days in the mid twentieth century. It must have been disappointing to find out after selling their once popular toys to someone else, only to be demoralised by that corporate body, who had purchased the firm from the brothers.  Sad to say they had to sell what was remaining of the unsold toys when they re-purchased the business and fold the business altogether in the 1980's.

Medgetoy is pounonced Medget-oy. interesting.

Last Edit: 10 years, 2 months ago by GunnerJim.