Midgetoy & Tootsietoy collections
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Tootsie Toy, Midgetoy, Hubley, Barclay or Orphans, here's where to chat about slush cast!

TOPIC: Midgetoy & Tootsietoy collections

Re: Midgetoy & Tootsietoy collections 10 years, 11 months ago #16

Expert Boarder
Then I have some of this scale as well. It is real hard to find these cars with the decals still on them. These I remember from when I was a kid and had a few as well. I still pick these up for a $1.00 or $2.00 at flea markets and antique stores. There are from the 60's & 70's

Re: Midgetoy & Tootsietoy collections 10 years, 11 months ago #17

Expert Boarder
Then I have some of this scale as well. It is real hard to find these cars with the decals still on them. These I remember from when I was a kid and had a few as well. I still pick these up for a $1.00 or $2.00 at flea markets and antique stores. They are from the 60's & 70's
Attachments:

Re: Midgetoy & Tootsietoy collections 10 years, 11 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
What scale are these? I have never seen a 'live' Tootsie- or Midget-toy. It looks like the first one posted are appr. 1/64 like Matchbox/Hot Wheels, while the last one reminds me of Tonka... 1/32-1/36?

Re: Midgetoy & Tootsietoy collections 10 years, 11 months ago #19

Expert Boarder
I am not too sure of the scale possibly 1/36 or even maybe 1/43 scale. Some are realistic like the jeeps and Gremlin but the pick up kind of looks like an Ford Econline or the old Dodge D100 van bodied pick up trucks from the 60"s.

Re: Midgetoy & Tootsietoy collections 10 years, 11 months ago #20

Platinum Boarder
The smaller scale ones that I showed earlier in this thread are 1:87 I think. The Barclay toys are 1 1/2" long by 3/4" wide and about 1/2" tall. The tootsie's are just a bit bigger.

Re: Midgetoy & Tootsietoy collections 10 years, 11 months ago #21

Expert Boarder
Here is a photo of all of the tootsie toys lined up with the Barclay on the far right. The Hot wheel in the middle is a 1/64 scale car. The blue Plymouth is the same size, I agree on the Barclay I say it is a 1/87 scale size. The purple Ford is a little larger, the gray van and pick up may be 1/36 to 1/43, the line green car is in between. I do not know if Midgetoy and Tootsie toy really worried about scale as much as the rest of the toy makers.
Attachments:

Re: Midgetoy & Tootsietoy collections 10 years, 11 months ago #22

Platinum Boarder
Good idea to use a Hot Wheels for size comparison.

Re: Midgetoy & Tootsietoy collections 10 years, 11 months ago #23

The panel truck is about 50th scale, the pick up is known as the "wheelie wagon" and was also used in several of the hitch up series sets, with either a boat and trailer, a dune buggy with surf boards or a dog trailer with 8 dogs and a clear plastic dome over the top of the dogs. Never seen one of either the dune buggy with boards or the dog trailer with all its parts. Dune buggys lose the surf boards and top, and the dog trailer lose everything. The wheelie wagon is also about 48-50 scale, but Tootsie was as scale challenged as Gumby was.

Re: Midgetoy & Tootsietoy collections 10 years, 11 months ago #24

Platinum Boarder
What you talk'n Gumby about now. He is not challenged, a little soft around the edges but not challenged. Pokey is the sloe one. Sp on purpose. LOL

Re: Midgetoy & Tootsietoy collections 10 years, 11 months ago #25

He jsut has scale issues is all. One minute he's riding on a Doepke road grader, the next he's stompin' on Matchbox cars.

Re: Midgetoy & Tootsietoy collections 10 years, 11 months ago #26

Platinum Boarder
LOL Gumby is one of my hero's just like Underdog. Go man go.

Re: Midgetoy & Tootsietoy collections 10 years, 11 months ago #27

Platinum Boarder
I have an XK120 coupe Tootsietoy which is approx 130 mm long so I guess 1/32 ?
Attachments:

Re: Midgetoy & Tootsietoy collections 10 years, 11 months ago #28

Expert Boarder
That is a really nice looking car, did you restore it or is that in original condition? I have been thinking about restoring some of mine but I am not too sure how and if that will effect the value of the cars.

Re: Midgetoy & Tootsietoy collections 10 years, 11 months ago #29

Platinum Boarder
I think as long as you "restore wisely" you'll be alright. By restoring wisely I mean, that you don't touch anything that's really scarce or a model that's already in good condition, but if you have a relatively common 'banger', there's not much to lose valuewise, and you'll get a beautiful display-model out of it.

Re: Midgetoy & Tootsietoy collections 10 years, 11 months ago #30

Expert Boarder
What is your opinion one these three cars. The Bug is pretty rough so there is not too much to lose there, but the other two just have paint flaking. The green MG looking car is screaming for a cool two tone paint job!
Attachments: