What is it with Siku V series and Melting Wheels
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
For all things Siku; diecast or plastic!
  • Page:

TOPIC: What is it with Siku V series and Melting Wheels

What is it with Siku V series and Melting Wheels 4 years, 10 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
If you own Siku V series models, there is a good chance one of the red hubs are slightly mis-shaped by now.

I saw this recently on eBay and while it is an extreme example, it is a true representation of a common problem with these models. Just as Dinky suffered metal metal fatigue and contaminants with the Mini Dinky castings,  these Sikus are known to have "melting" wheels.

But that is all I know. Anyone know why or what the issue is?

Look at the front wheel

Re: What is it with Siku V series and Melting Wheels 4 years, 10 months ago #2

Yes Tick, I know what the problem was. It was the same problem that Britains had with their tractor wheels.

Re: What is it with Siku V series and Melting Wheels 4 years, 10 months ago #3

OK and now the explaination

The chemical composition of the rubbery/plastic tires interacted with some chemicals in the hubs, Neither Siku nor Britains could forsee that at the time, it only appeared years later.
I sold several Ford 5500 tractors by Britains who had the same problem. But I have never seen a Siku with this problem
Nowadays the chemical engineers can figure out exactely which (or is it what?) chemicals react bad or good when being used together

Last Edit: 4 years, 10 months ago by RoutemasterNL.

Re: What is it with Siku V series and Melting Wheels 4 years, 10 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
It happens to a lot of aged toys and models from many companies such as this plastic Rolls-Royce from 'CRAGSTAN'...

I recommend collectors to get their toys and models out and remove the tyres before this process starts.

There is no cure for it except to cut away the surplus soft plastic, and only place tyres back on the model for photographic sessions, remove them as soon as possible when the pictures are done.

Rollerman.
  • Page: