Here's some of my wreck stuff in 1/18th scale
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
If you build diecast dioramas of any scale or type, here's where you can show them off!

TOPIC: Here's some of my wreck stuff in 1/18th scale

Re: Here's some of my wreck stuff in 1/18th scale 7 years, 10 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
You sometime stumble upon pictures of (real life) cars dying and decaying somewhere in a forest. And then you  see this. Two words: just amazing...................
Last Edit: 7 years, 10 months ago by Ecclesley.

Re: Here's some of my wreck stuff in 1/18th scale 7 years, 10 months ago #17

Senior Boarder
Well.... Is a DID visit such a forrest yard here in main land Europe, i started making these models because i wanted some rememberance of that yard in my home. And so i made some models in to wrecks. I did not want to replicate the actual cars that where there. Because the real life situation is not possible to replicate to the perfection mother nature does it. So i made cars in a free interpretated way. I will include some pictures of that yard, that inspired me. (only once as they obviously do not belong here)

Last Edit: 7 years, 10 months ago by arcobot.

Re: Here's some of my wreck stuff in 1/18th scale 7 years, 10 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
The junk yard looks like its in the middle of nowhere a forest? Filled with dead cars that all seem to date from the 1950s/60s

Re: Here's some of my wreck stuff in 1/18th scale 7 years, 10 months ago #19

Don't be worried about putting any photo's up here, these photo's show your insipiration and so are very relevant.. We are not stuffy on here...any photo's are welcome and these are brilliant as is your diorama's of these...

Niall

Re: Here's some of my wreck stuff in 1/18th scale 7 years, 10 months ago #20

Senior Boarder
Than i will put some pictures of the real yard on so now and then. The yard in question was in the Belgium village of Chatillon. There where 3 locations left in 2008. Further in history there might have been as much as 6 or 7! The best one was the so called forrest. In there more then 200 cars where layed to rest. It started life as a grassland and later trees where planted.The majority of the cars where 1946-1955. But older and younger where also there. In the forrest was an awesome atmosphere. I found the place after searching for 17 years. The search started when i receved some old pictures of a mistery yard in Europe some day. And there where no details known. Only some skechy things like: In a village with lion in the end part of the name, and on the way back from France just before the Belgium border. (both proed to be wrong afterwards)

Finaly in about 2003 i found a possible location, but i was terrible ill. So i could not go. Years of bad health followed. Finaly in 2008 my health took a turn for the worse ( a transplant was badly needed and no donors where availeble) I was still walking with cruches but was mobile and more or less stable, and some very good friends decided it micht be my last chance by then and hired a van to go to the illusive forrest with me.
We drove 200 miles to there, not even shure if it realy was the place and if it was still there. The owner was reluctand at first to let uss in (we asked offcourse), but when he heared the story about my never ending search and devotian, we where alowed in. It was the day of my life.

The picture above is one of the pictures that started the search. The one here below is the same car and aprox angle of that same car in 2008. The car is a 1953 Buick Super by the way.

Above a Studebaker Champion of 1951 with the curved backwindow. It was under such thick pinetrees that even during the day, the flasher had to be used

Overlooking a small part of the forrest. About 30% where American cars of the finns and pre finns era. And there where alot of Opels of the fifties. But Ford (all build countries together) had the overhand with 93 cars. Going from an 1931 AA towtruck, via some Ford V8's of the end of the 40's , Customs, Fairlanes, Cortina's and so on. Rare cars where also found on regular bases. Nash 600, Kaiser Manhattan, Henry J, Lloyd LT600 Van, Frazer Manhattan and so on and so on.

Re: Here's some of my wreck stuff in 1/18th scale 7 years, 10 months ago #21

Senior Boarder

Once i seen the rust in the real yard i realized that rust comes in many forms. Dessert rust clearly is something totaly different from the rust in Europe and the UK. One other thing i saw is that seats in the cars where optical still looking very well and not like in America only frames left and no fabric. But mostly i learned that when you make rusted cars, roofs and big parts tend to rot at places where braces and structural parts touch the panel. And making THIS rotten places is one of the hard things to do in a modelcars in 1/18 scale and in metal (lik the roof above). The material is WAY WAY to thick, and has to be thinned. So i had a try at that. And found out that thinning out is the answer to all panel end edge rust.

Re: Here's some of my wreck stuff in 1/18th scale 7 years, 10 months ago #22

what an amazing story Arco. Never knew that this place excisted

Re: Here's some of my wreck stuff in 1/18th scale 7 years, 10 months ago #23

Senior Boarder
It was a place you should coincedently stumble on to. Those days i started to search for the yard, the internet was nearly non existing. So everything was mouth to mouth. And most visitor knew the value of the place and kept info on strict "need to know" bases. The clearing was done in record time because of an unrealisticly short term that the judge ordered for clearing the place. So the owner (who wanted to make it an kind of openair museum) Had no choice than to send in a scrappy with his Unimog and crane. All cars had to be gone in only 2 moths.

Following pictures are borrowed from the net and friends.

Re: Here's some of my wreck stuff in 1/18th scale 7 years, 10 months ago #24

Platinum Boarder
Wow what super piece of work there Arco, just stunning in every way. I've always wanted to have a go at a scrap yard diorama and am going to do so this year but in a smaller scale 1/43.

Re: Here's some of my wreck stuff in 1/18th scale 7 years, 10 months ago #25

Platinum Boarder
Sterling work there sir.    Good stuff

If this is your scene perhaps check out Neil Youngs ranch.  He has never got rid of any of his cars.  They are just left randomly over acres of countryside. 

Frame.

Re: Here's some of my wreck stuff in 1/18th scale 7 years, 10 months ago #26

Senior Boarder
dinkyjay wrote:
Wow what super piece of work there Arco, just stunning in every way. I've always wanted to have a go at a scrap yard diorama and am going to do so this year but in a smaller scale 1/43.

If you need tips, i'll be glad to assist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dinkyjay

Re: Here's some of my wreck stuff in 1/18th scale 7 years, 10 months ago #27

Senior Boarder
frame69 wrote:
Sterling work there sir.    Good stuff

If this is your scene perhaps check out Neil Youngs ranch.  He has never got rid of any of his cars.  They are just left randomly over acres of countryside. 

Frame.

I will be searching the net. As i am on the other side of the cannel, and have serious mobility issues. But i apreciate the tip very much!

Re: Here's some of my wreck stuff in 1/18th scale 7 years, 10 months ago #28

Platinum Boarder
I do love looking at scrap yards, and looking at your diorama I could just look all day long. 

I may to make Ford Sierra RS500 into a scrap car, it's had its fair share bits broken off and repaired so a good candidate. Just not sure what to do and where to start.

Any tips??

Re: Here's some of my wreck stuff in 1/18th scale 7 years, 10 months ago #29

Platinum Boarder
I watched a film about it years ago and he never got rid of any cars. Its a great film. He also owns Lionel Toy Trains. I think he still does,it came about from his son having learning difficulties.
Frame.

Re: Here's some of my wreck stuff in 1/18th scale 7 years, 10 months ago #30

Senior Boarder
dinkyjay wrote:
I do love looking at scrap yards, and looking at your diorama I could just look all day long. 

I may to make Ford Sierra RS500 into a scrap car, it's had its fair share bits broken off and repaired so a good candidate. Just not sure what to do and where to start.

Any tips??

Can you maby post a picture? Than i can probebly make and estimation what the best way is. And how far do you want to go? For instance:

A bad daily

A wreck

Or total carnage:

The following user(s) said Thank You: blackstone