Comparing notes?, do you think it might rain.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
If you build diecast dioramas of any scale or type, here's where you can show them off!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Comparing notes?, do you think it might rain.

Comparing notes?, do you think it might rain. 9 years, 11 months ago #1

Gold Boarder

A new cruiser in town and the boys are comparing notes.  Do you think it might rain? There's a soft top on its way for the blue beauty, let's hope it gets here before summers over!r
Last Edit: 9 years, 11 months ago by GeorgeT.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Comparing notes?, do you think it might rain. 9 years, 11 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Very nice !

I really like it !
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeorgeT

Re: Comparing notes?, do you think it might rain. 9 years, 11 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Nifty!

Re: Comparing notes?, do you think it might rain. 9 years, 11 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Better hope you get the top soon. Great idea and good looking builds.

Re: Comparing notes?, do you think it might rain. 9 years, 11 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
I think they are discussing that they need a couple of Bull Bars and some spotlights mounted then stick some rifle shooters standing inside the cab on the bench seat and using the top of the windscreen for support and Roo shooting we go.  Or we could go for the odd pig then again there are those buffalo water dwellers too that bring excellent prices. Nah just some rabbiting we shell go just for starters.

Re: Comparing notes?, do you think it might rain. 9 years, 11 months ago #6

Gold Boarder
That takes me back aways Jim,  my brother in law had an old beat up EJ holden ute he used, for spotlighting to cull roos and foxes in a timber plantation years ago.  Doors welded shut, roof cut off and a very basic roll bar to supprt the rifle    Many a fun night was had I can tell you.

As I recall it was left abandoned in the bush up near Marysville.  Probably destroyed in the bushfires.......

May have to look out for some rifleman and set up my yard truck for spotlighting!

Re: Comparing notes?, do you think it might rain. 9 years, 11 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Good one Mate.

Re: Comparing notes?, do you think it might rain. 9 years, 11 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Yes excellent diorama, where do you display all your diorama's they must take up alot of space.

Re: Comparing notes?, do you think it might rain. 9 years, 11 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
The Roo truck is sweet. A different idea and executed splendidly.

Re: Comparing notes?, do you think it might rain. 9 years, 11 months ago #10

Gold Boarder
We live in an apartment, so space is limited.  Wish I had a designated "toy room" but I don't.  The dioramas are, unfortuneatly, put away after a play session. Basically in the spare bedroom, stacked on top of each other.  We have our family home over the other side of melbourne, quite large, in fact double the apartment size, so when retirement comes? we willhead back that way and there will be a toy room for sure.

The Yard truck was a bit of fun, I have heaps of these Yatming F 100's, base all of my modifications on them.  This was a rainy day effort, some pliers, odd paint colours and wire coat hanger. A few thumps with a small hammer and a beater was created.

Re: Comparing notes?, do you think it might rain. 9 years, 11 months ago #11

Gold Boarder

Had a go at a "soft top", built the frame from wire and covered it with real canvas.  The photo is too good, it highlights the faults!, it actually looks better in the flesh.

I think the canvas is too coarse for the scale, I may have to look for some differant material to get a better look. may try some linen or cotten.  This two square inches of canvas took me longer than what it did to build the pickup!!!

Re: Comparing notes?, do you think it might rain. 9 years, 11 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Yes that is the only problem I see. George you might like to try some fine silk the type that is used or was used on model aeroplanes and yachts.

I tried to drape form some thin plastic insert bottom out of those so called environment green shopping bags.

Plaster formation mould with male plug to push the hot plastic down into the female

The plastic moulded formed part.

The first trial cutout being tested to see if it fits.

The finished  product tying to replicate the vinal soft top convertible.

The wrecked Dinky Dodge Royal being fitted with some interia seating.

I purchased the plastic window part and the Dodge on ebay for a song.
Last Edit: 9 years, 11 months ago by GunnerJim.

Re: Comparing notes?, do you think it might rain. 9 years, 11 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Nicely done the both of you.

Re: Comparing notes?, do you think it might rain. 9 years, 11 months ago #14

Gold Boarder
Not thought of using plastic draped over it, worth a try as well.  My wife suggested I try paper mache, much the same as our kids did way back in school,  been giving it some thought as the end result is a matt finish, and if I use white paper it should look the part.  The thin silk is also a great idea, thanks.  The wife's out, so I may have to go hunting for some silk!! I know she has some scarves somewhere in her robe!

Re: Comparing notes?, do you think it might rain. 9 years, 11 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Britains did use some sort of cloth on their toy trucks and horse drawn wagons.

Last Edit: 9 years, 11 months ago by GunnerJim.
  • Page: