Oxford Diecast in a Diorama
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
We're delighted to announce that the very popular Oxford Diecast have agreed to host their forum on Toy Collector. Here's where you can discuss Oxford Diecasts past and present, ideas for new models you'd like to see and more. Oxford Diecast themselves will be stopping in from time to time, but please note that you can't use the forum to communicate directly with them if, for example, you've ordered a model that hasn't arrived yet or anything like that.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Oxford Diecast in a Diorama

Oxford Diecast in a Diorama 7 years, 10 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Although a big Dinky enthusiast I think OD are wonderful for the detail you get and for the price that you pay. Having given up my model railway I decided to try my hand at building a diorama of a road scene and using mainly OD models. They were perfect - here are a few shots with a couple of intruders.

Re: Oxford Diecast in a Diorama 7 years, 10 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Very nice. I too make dioramas,good fun .

Frame.

Re: Oxford Diecast in a Diorama 7 years, 10 months ago #3

Looks great Hugh

Have you got the space for it to let the diorama as it is?

Re: Oxford Diecast in a Diorama 7 years, 10 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
That is quite the diorama you have built. Do you have a Picture of the whole thing?

Re: Oxford Diecast in a Diorama 7 years, 10 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Are these the 1/76 Oxford ?

Re: Oxford Diecast in a Diorama 7 years, 10 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
A diorama like this for my 1/43s would be the ultimate dream! It's exactly what I'd want! Imagine how you can change angles for photos and viewing, place several cars together in a realistic setting, create an "everyday street scene" from a certain era etc. - by making a few of the props removable, the same diorama setting could represent different times.

Alas, it will remain just a dream. Not only would it take up far too much room, there's also the problem of even getting the props in scale 1/43... not to mention the costs.

I really love your diorama... but I think you've already guessed

Re: Oxford Diecast in a Diorama 7 years, 10 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Hi NOBLECO

Thanks for the post. Yes I do have an overall shot taken at a local exhibition earlier this year. The size of the diorama is 22" by 10" and it is based on a scale of 1:76. It was very difficult obtaining everything to that scale and presenting it so the difference wasn't too noticeable.

For example the figures come in three scales:- 1:72 the Airfix figures, 1:76 diecast figures from a number of suppliers and 1:87 (HO) which can sometimes offer better detail and poses than the 1:76 range. The Airfix figures have superb detail it just needs a steady to paint them.

I also found that vehicles sold as 1:76 varied quite alot in terms of size to scale. I no longer buy them off the web but only at toy fairs where I can take an Airfix figure to compare against the model.

The buildings are Super-Quick, except the nissan hut which is Hornby Scaledale, with a degree of doctoring and all have internal lighting. I do have plans to make it a little busier.

Here is an overall shot and one taken inside the garage workshop.

Regards Hugh

Re: Oxford Diecast in a Diorama 7 years, 10 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Really nice Hugh and maybe one day I can build one for myself. Thanks for showing the pics. YOur garage detail is fantastic. Looks almost real.

Re: Oxford Diecast in a Diorama 7 years, 10 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Hi TEEBODK

Thanks for your kind words.

I am with you all the way on your views with dioramas, building it to span say 30 years, using different vehicles in different situations to create changing street scenes, using lighting to generate a totally different atmosphere and all this coupled with an infinite range of camera angles. Wow! I think it's as important building up the backscene moving forward to the streetscene.

Like you I too would enjoy building a diorama in 1:43 scale but I'm afraid you have hit all of the right buttons with your comments. Twice the size, more than double the cost and of course the availability of bits and pieces.

A few more shots that somebody took for me.

Regards Hugh

Re: Oxford Diecast in a Diorama 7 years, 10 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Really good job well done, is the number plate on the Land Rover an accident or by design ?

Because it's so detailed you have obviously been designing railway layouts for some time.

I have started a railway layout on more than one occasion but starting seems to be the easy part.

Re: Oxford Diecast in a Diorama 7 years, 10 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Fantastic piece of work Hugh. I just love this sort of modelling and when I get extra room to start mine I gonna go mad with it.

Re: Oxford Diecast in a Diorama 7 years, 10 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Your not the only one. I am hoping to get a bit of room here in my basement. I have 2 train sets and a Car Race set so that will keep me busy when I do start.

Re: Oxford Diecast in a Diorama 7 years, 10 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
DINKYDI - The Land Rover is as it came and I'd never noticed the significance of the registration plate, should have gone to specsavers!!

Thanks for spotting that one.

Regards Hugh

Re: Oxford Diecast in a Diorama 7 years, 10 months ago #14

These are really impressive and a credit to your skill sets..The lighting is especially nice and works so well...

Niall
  • Page: