We're delighted to announce that the very popular Oxford Diecast have agreed to host their forum on Toy Collector. Here's where you can discuss Oxford Diecasts past and present, ideas for new models you'd like to see and more. Oxford Diecast themselves will be stopping in from time to time, but please note that you can't use the forum to communicate directly with them if, for example, you've ordered a model that hasn't arrived yet or anything like that.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sedanca de Ville

Sedanca de Ville 3 years, 4 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
I bought myself a second Oxford Diecast James Young Phantom V (taking ages to arrive) which I planned to convert into a Sedanca de Ville, by cutting a section out of the roof with my Dremel tool.
And so it went, the result is exactly as I hoped it would be, very pleasant and satisfactory:

Before:

After:

The following user(s) said Thank You: CollectorandrestorerMark

Re: Sedanca de Ville 3 years, 4 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Congrats Gerrit ! Having read the post from the end, I believed it was a new Oxford variation. Wow !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ecclesley

Re: Sedanca de Ville 3 years, 4 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Nice work and you have a rare model having made it yourself.

Re: Sedanca de Ville 3 years, 4 months ago #4

superb work Gerrit!
Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by RoutemasterNL.

Re: Sedanca de Ville 3 years, 4 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Jim, Theo and Stéphane. THis one was on my mind for quite some time, just needed the moment to do it.

However I must correct a mistake, which is not hard to do. As you can see I left the upper parts of the chrome window frame at the front. That should not be there, so I am gonna remove that as yet.

Re: Sedanca de Ville 3 years, 4 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Very nice job and a great solution. With a niche collection like yours, having "all members of the family" represented gets extra important, and unfortunately the model makers don't always deliver.

Re: Sedanca de Ville 3 years, 4 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Interesting to see this modification being taken out on this Oxford Rolls Royce.

Re: Sedanca de Ville 3 years, 4 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Teebodk and GunnerJim.

Meanwhile the chrome strip now gone:

Re: Sedanca de Ville 3 years, 4 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Yes, now the window looks more natural like the real window edge on the real vehicle. Many thanks Cheers.

Re: Sedanca de Ville 3 years, 4 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Taking that chrome strip off has transformed that window , great idea.

Re: Sedanca de Ville 3 years, 4 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Andy66 wrote:
Taking that chrome strip off has transformed that window , great idea.

I used a small, 3 mm wide blade file with a very fine, but sharp grain, and slowly but surely I did away with that small edge of chrome.

I also put a division window between the driver and the passenger compartment. Not visible on the photo but it is there and sits perfectly.
Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by Ecclesley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL, Andy66

Re: Sedanca de Ville 3 years, 4 months ago #12

Are in the real deal all meters and equipment in the dashboard waterproof?
Or does the driver have a sunroof?

Re: Sedanca de Ville 3 years, 4 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
RoutemasterNL wrote:
Are in the real deal all meters and equipment in the dashboard waterproof?
Or does the driver have a sunroof?

There is a roof section to cover the driver's compartment. A sedanca de ville, or town car, is a heritage from the days of the horse drawn carriages. The coachman and the footman (the one who gets down when the coach stops, to help the passengers) both sitting in the open, while his lord- and her ladyship are sitting cocooned in the back. The upholstery in the front is leather, while the back is in cloth, generally.

Here two pictures of a James Young Phantom V Sedanca de Ville, open and closed. The front roof section is behind a hatch of the rear roof section. You can just see the handle in the green circle to open it and then you can slide the front section into its proper position.

This very car has been reproduced by TSM:

Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by Ecclesley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Sedanca de Ville 3 years, 4 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for the explanation about the open and closed hatch system. Neat as the TSM version.
  • Page: