Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
We're delighted to announce that the very popular Oxford Diecast have agreed to host their forum on Toy Collector. Here's where you can discuss Oxford Diecasts past and present, ideas for new models you'd like to see and more. Oxford Diecast themselves will be stopping in from time to time, but please note that you can't use the forum to communicate directly with them if, for example, you've ordered a model that hasn't arrived yet or anything like that.

TOPIC: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 2 years, 3 months ago #91

Platinum Boarder
I'm thinking of too.

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 2 years, 3 months ago #92

Platinum Boarder
That is a classic look for the Rolls Royce and looks to be a good representation of the car. How much are these going for? in the £25.00 range?

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 2 years, 3 months ago #93

Platinum Boarder
<p>Nobleco wrote:
That is a classic look for the Rolls Royce and looks to be a good representation of the car. How much are these going for? in the £25.00 range?
</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Oxford Diecast really is lots of value for money, this one will do 21 quid.</p>

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 2 years, 3 months ago #94

Platinum Boarder
<p>Before I forget, these two were also launched recently by O.D.</p>
<p>Silver Cloud 1</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The real deal:</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And this Corniche DHC:</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The real deal:</p>
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by Ecclesley.

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 2 years, 3 months ago #95

Platinum Boarder
Those look great and are good on the details. I really like the Silver Cloud and it reminds me of one a buddy had back in the late 60's, I think it was a '59. what year is this one?

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 2 years, 3 months ago #96

Platinum Boarder
<p>Nobleco wrote:
Those look great and are good on the details. I really like the Silver Cloud and it reminds me of one a buddy had back in the late 60's, I think it was a '59. what year is this one?
</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If your friend's car was a 1959 then it is either a very late Silver Cloud I (produced 1955-1959), or a Silver Cloud II (produced 1959-1962). In 1959 the Cloud II came onto the market. The main difference being the engine. A Cloud I has a 6 cyl.  4,9 ltr engine, the Cloud II has an 8 cyl. 6,2 ltr engine. The Cloud I somewhat under powered. The 8 cyl engine was later transferred to the Cloud III (1962-1966) and Silver Shadow I and II, and gradually upgraded to 6,7 ltr (the very engine was in my Shadow II). This V8 engine from 1959 has been in constant use and can now be found in the present day Bentley Mulsanne, although at 6,75 ltr. with a twin turbo.</p>
<p>Oxford Diecast offers this model as a Cloud I but does not say which year.</p>
<p>The model has registration # AAU 208A, the A suffix means 1963, which does not match with the year of manufacturing. The AAU prefix means it was registered in the East Anglia region.</p>
<p>But it is a nice model anyway, this Sable over Sand version also available, the reg # 606 JBJ is of 1959 vintage, which is correct.</p>
<p>
image hosting 15mb</p>
<p>This the real deal, it was sold for 23.400 pounds at auction, in 2015.</p>
<p>
</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, RoutemasterNL

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 2 years, 3 months ago #97

Platinum Boarder
Must have been a Silver Cloud II as it did have a V-8. I remember it had lots of power. It was also a convertible so that may make a difference too. All White and made for his aunt here in Canada. South Vancouver to be exact.

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 2 years, 3 months ago #98

Gold Boarder
<p>
<hr id="system-readmore" />
Ecclesley wrote:
</p>
<p>Nobleco wrote:
</p>
<p>A correction on the registration mark - AU was one of the allocations for Nottingham County Borough Council (City of Nottingham), along with TO and TV. Nottinghamshire as a County was allocated AL, NN, RR and VO until 1974 when the City and County registration offices were combined. Nottinghamshire is in the East Midlands, not East Anglia.</p>
<p>If your friend's car was a 1959 then it is either a very late Silver Cloud I (produced 1955-1959), or a Silver Cloud II (produced 1959-1962). In 1959 the Cloud II came onto the market. The main difference being the engine. A Cloud I has a 6 cyl.  4,9 ltr engine, the Cloud II has an 8 cyl. 6,2 ltr engine. The Cloud I somewhat under powered. The 8 cyl engine was later transferred to the Cloud III (1962-1966) and Silver Shadow I and II, and gradually upgraded to 6,7 ltr (the very engine was in my Shadow II). This V8 engine from 1959 has been in constant use and can now be found in the present day Bentley Mulsanne, although at 6,75 ltr. with a twin turbo.</p>
<p>Oxford Diecast offers this model as a Cloud I but does not say which year.</p>
<p>The model has registration # AAU 208A, the A suffix means 1963, which does not match with the year of manufacturing. The AAU prefix means it was registered in the East Anglia region.</p>
<p>But it is a nice model anyway, this Sable over Sand version also available, the reg # 606 JBJ is of 1959 vintage, which is correct.</p>
<p>
image hosting 15mb</p>
<p>This the real deal, it was sold for 23.400 pounds at auction, in 2015.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 2 years, 3 months ago #99

Platinum Boarder
I know that English and other countries license plates can designate where it is from, town or region. I am not familiar with all the various ones as you might be so it is interesting to hear about them. The license plates stay with the car for the life of the car where here in North America the license plate goes with the driver. Next driver of that same car will have a different license plate on it. Confusing to the British and others who do it the other way around, I am sure.

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 2 years, 3 months ago #100

Platinum Boarder
<p>Thanks Fodenway for your observations. I took the information from this list:</p>
<p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<ul>
</ul>
<div>Regarding reg. plates in the Netherlands. The number stays with the car. If you buy a new car you get a new reg. plate. I think it is rubbish, I would rather see the plate stay with the driver, like a social security number which is unique for every individual. It gives better identification and it saves a lot of red tape civil servants.</div>

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 2 years, 3 months ago #101

I think you need to order a new display cabinet with all these OD's coming available now.....

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 2 years, 3 months ago #102

Gold Boarder
Hi, your list is also correct, but only applies to post-2001 registrations, when the current system was introduced. British registrations normally do stay with the vehicle for life, but we have the "Cherished Number" scheme whereby registration marks can be bought and/or transferred (for a fee) from vehicle to vehicle, although it is not possible to put more recent marks on an older vehicle, or to transfer between certain classes of vehicle. There is an excellent book "A History of Motor Vehicle Registration in the United Kingdom", by L.H. Newall on this subject.

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 2 years, 3 months ago #103

Platinum Boarder
<p>RoutemasterNL wrote:
I think you need to order a new display cabinet with all these OD's coming available now.....
</p>
<p> </p>
<p>No Theo, the number of cabinets I have will do fine. I fact I have done away with 4 of them as I have slimmed down my collection considerably.</p>
<p>The collection which is still with me will be cut down somewhat further until I have reached my preferred number and quality. At this very moment of writing 14 cars have just changed hands to collectors in France.</p>
<p>Regarding OD I will order some more in the future, but I am not going to buy them all. Some are okay with me, some are not, so that narrows it down really.</p>
<p>And now I am going to watch the final stages of the Le Mans 24H. Will Toyota and Alonso win?</p>

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 2 years, 2 months ago #104

Platinum Boarder
<p>Now available at Oxford Diecast  the Thrupp and Maberly Rolls Royce 25/30, green and black</p>
<p>
<br /><br />
<br /><br />pic host</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The real deal (well almost)</p>
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 2 months ago by Ecclesley.

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 2 years, 2 months ago #105

Platinum Boarder
Looks like they have done the car justice with this model. Looks very nice. What makes the real one "almost", color?