Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
We're delighted to announce that the very popular Oxford Diecast have agreed to host their forum on Toy Collector. Here's where you can discuss Oxford Diecasts past and present, ideas for new models you'd like to see and more. Oxford Diecast themselves will be stopping in from time to time, but please note that you can't use the forum to communicate directly with them if, for example, you've ordered a model that hasn't arrived yet or anything like that.

TOPIC: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 3 months ago #31

Platinum Boarder
Isn't there some kind of UK vehicle registry database? I vaguely remember using something like that in the past for identification of cars on british plates. The reason I ask is because I use a danish version extensively for id of danish carsh (DMR = Dansk Motor Register = Danish MotorRegistry). Using a current license plate, you can look up the vehicle and get all sorts of information, including first date of registration and whether or not a vehicle has been extensively altered or rebuilt.


I know there are similar databases in Sweden and Norway, so there should be in other countries as well, perhaps France too - making it possible to look-up that French Jag.

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 3 months ago #32

Platinum Boarder
Teebodk wrote:
Isn't there some kind of UK vehicle registry database? I vaguely remember using something like that in the past for identification of cars on british plates. The reason I ask is because I use a danish version extensively for id of danish carsh (DMR = Dansk Motor Register = Danish MotorRegistry). Using a current license plate, you can look up the vehicle and get all sorts of information, including first date of registration and whether or not a vehicle has been extensively altered or rebuilt.


I know there are similar databases in Sweden and Norway, so there should be in other countries as well, perhaps France too - making it possible to look-up that French Jag.
 


 


 


 


For sure there are similar registry databases , we have them in Holland they are in Britain and France will certainly have one too.


I leave it up to fellow member Fodenway to initiate any further investigation.

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 3 months ago #33

Gold Boarder
Ecclesley, Oxford Diecast produced their model of PBT 55 based on information and a photograph which I had taken of it on a weekend camping holiday to Penmaenmawr, North Wales, in 1962. I was eight years old at the time, and my cousin Pamela (also eight years) was standing proudly in front of it. I still have some other photos I took at the same time, but unfortunately none show the registration number. I contacted Adrienne Fuller at Oxford a while ago to ask whether they still had a copy of the photo on file, but was told that they do not keep them once the model has been produced. I am sure that the original image must be here at home somewhere, it is a matter of looking through thousands of photos in dozens of different places - if only I had the time!

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 3 months ago #34

Platinum Boarder
FODENWAY wrote:
Ecclesley, Oxford Diecast produced their model of PBT 55 based on information and a photograph which I had taken of it on a weekend camping holiday to Penmaenmawr, North Wales, in 1962. I was eight years old at the time, and my cousin Pamela (also eight years) was standing proudly in front of it. I still have some other photos I took at the same time, but unfortunately none show the registration number. I contacted Adrienne Fuller at Oxford a while ago to ask whether they still had a copy of the photo on file, but was told that they do not keep them once the model has been produced. I am sure that the original image must be here at home somewhere, it is a matter of looking through thousands of photos in dozens of different places - if only I had the time!
   


 


 


Thanks, this explains again that O.D. base their models on real existing cars or cars which have been in the past.


My question to you is how did O.D. get that picture from you, did you give them the picture asking them to produce the relevant model or what?


Meanwhile another Jaguar by Oxford Diecast and it real life prototype:
reg. # LCP229







The Queen Mother's Jaguar:
Originally a MK VIIM gradually upgraded to MK IX specs.



Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by Ecclesley.

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 3 months ago #35

Platinum Boarder
Stirling Moss' Jag. MK VII, reg.  LWK 343, winning  the Silverstone 1952 saloon car race:






The model:




Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by Ecclesley.

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 3 months ago #36

Gold Boarder
I met Oxford's Adrienne Fuller several times at model shows here in England, and gave her lists of suggested models on several occasions, quite a few of which went into production in my preferred 1/76 scale. At one show, I commented on how I admired the 1/43 cars, the Jaguar in particular, and told her about Uncle's car. I offered to email the photo and colour details, the offer was accepted and some time later, two of them arrived in the post as a thank-you, one for myself and one for my cousin, her father (my uncle) having passed away a few years previously. In reality, the original was rather more "white" than the ivory that the model was finished in. Co-incidentally, at the same time as my uncle owned PBT, a friend of his had a mid-green one registered ECP 465, which if I remember correctly had an automatic transmission.

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 3 months ago #37

Platinum Boarder
FODENWAY wrote:
I met Oxford's Adrienne Fuller several times at model shows here in England, and gave her lists of suggested models on several occasions, quite a few of which went into production in my preferred 1/76 scale. At one show, I commented on how I admired the 1/43 cars, the Jaguar in particular, and told her about Uncle's car. I offered to email the photo and colour details, the offer was accepted and some time later, two of them arrived in the post as a thank-you, one for myself and one for my cousin, her father (my uncle) having passed away a few years previously. In reality, the original was rather more "white" than the ivory that the model was finished in. Co-incidentally, at the same time as my uncle owned PBT, a friend of his had a mid-green one registered ECP 465, which if I remember correctly had an automatic transmission.
  


 


 


That is a great story about how your uncle's car became an O.D. model car.


Oxford Diecast really gives me a lot of pleasure, especially since they are doing Rolls Royce models as well. Excellent models at a reasonable price.
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by Ecclesley.

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 3 months ago #38

Platinum Boarder
1956 Monte Carlo Rally winning MK VII PWK 700





O.D.'s model:


Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 3 months ago #39

Moderator
Teebodk wrote:
Isn't there some kind of UK vehicle registry database? I vaguely remember using something like that in the past for identification of cars on british plates. The reason I ask is because I use a danish version extensively for id of danish carsh (DMR = Dansk Motor Register = Danish MotorRegistry). Using a current license plate, you can look up the vehicle and get all sorts of information, including first date of registration and whether or not a vehicle has been extensively altered or rebuilt.


I know there are similar databases in Sweden and Norway, so there should be in other countries as well, perhaps France too - making it possible to look-up that French Jag.
 


 


Gerrit is right. 


ovi.rdw.nl/default.aspx


When I see an interesting car, I always look here to see what it is. You can even see if a vehicle is stolen....

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 3 months ago #40

Platinum Boarder
RoutemasterNL wrote:
Teebodk wrote:
Isn't there some kind of UK vehicle registry database? I vaguely remember using something like that in the past for identification of cars on british plates. The reason I ask is because I use a danish version extensively for id of danish carsh (DMR = Dansk Motor Register = Danish MotorRegistry). Using a current license plate, you can look up the vehicle and get all sorts of information, including first date of registration and whether or not a vehicle has been extensively altered or rebuilt.


I know there are similar databases in Sweden and Norway, so there should be in other countries as well, perhaps France too - making it possible to look-up that French Jag.
   


 


Gerrit is right. 


ovi.rdw.nl/default.aspx


When I see an interesting car, I always look here to see what it is. You can even see if a vehicle is stolen....



 


The British equivalent is the DVLA. The Rolls Royce Silver Shadow I owned was previously registered in the UK, and this (below) I found on the website of the DVLA, so I knew where the car came from, and when first registered.



This set me on a path to the Rolls Royce Enthusiast Club who register every nut and bolt of near enough every RR made and they were able to show more history.


Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by Ecclesley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 3 months ago #41

Moderator
Gerrit,

these license plates are great for making repro stickers on a model.
That is cool!

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 3 months ago #42

Platinum Boarder
The first Phantom V issued by Oxford Diecast, last year, is a replica of chassis 5VD5, reg. EBY148B, which is in the possession of a taxi/wedding/hire car company and is painted blue and silver.








But that was not the case when it was delivered new to its first owner, Mr. Robert Strauss. The real world prototype of the model car was all blue as these pictures show:

Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by Ecclesley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 3 months ago #43

Platinum Boarder
One of those "Love it or Hate it" cars the Daimler SP250 (Dart) has a mildly successful racing career and is still raced in US and Britain.


A quick Google shows 237 results listed and I am sure this list is not complete.


A beautifully Hemi motor designed by Edward Turner the man who designed the Triumph Bonneville Motor Bike engine. One of the nicest sounding V8 motors produced.



































The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 3 months ago #44

Platinum Boarder
O.D. made a very good looking model of this, somewhat oddball, sports car.

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 3 months ago #45

Platinum Boarder
I imagine that was a difficult car to tool up for a 1/43rd scale model, but to me it looks like Oxford have done a good job, very nice and the colour really does look right.


Rollerman.