Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
We're delighted to announce that the very popular Oxford Diecast have agreed to host their forum on Toy Collector. Here's where you can discuss Oxford Diecasts past and present, ideas for new models you'd like to see and more. Oxford Diecast themselves will be stopping in from time to time, but please note that you can't use the forum to communicate directly with them if, for example, you've ordered a model that hasn't arrived yet or anything like that.

TOPIC: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 5 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
Corky wrote:
I was looking at the Oxford news... yesterday night and ordered a P3 a P5 and the Empress...

You mean these, I ordered them last week:

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 5 months ago #17

Platinum Boarder
That's it ! \o/

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 5 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
Better pictures of these 2:

The Oxford Diecast Phantom V's in real life together, on the left  chassis 5VA63, on the right 5VD5.

Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by Ecclesley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 5 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
Wow ! Great ! Thanks

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 5 months ago #20

Platinum Boarder
Newly announced:

The real deal:

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 5 months ago #21

Platinum Boarder
A better pic of the PIII

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 4 months ago #22

Gold Boarder
The original inspiration for the white version of Oxford's 1/43 Jaguar MkV11, PBT 55, was the car which my Uncle Joe owned in the early 1960's. After a small accident in which the Jaguar ran into the back of a Ford 100E saloon in Altrincham, Cheshire, the Jaguar went to our local garage to await relatively minor repairs. Because the accident had been my uncle's fault, the insurance company would not pay for the work to be done, and uncle could not afford to pay for the work doing. The Jaguar sat, deteriorating, behind the garage for a couple of years, until the proprietors gave him an ultimatum:- pay for storage or hand it over. As far as I knew, the car went to a scrapyard when it left the garage, but remarkably, the registration number PBT 55 shows up on the database as being on a GREEN 1955 Jaguar in current use! Is this the same car, rescued and restored, or simply the registration number retained and re-allocated later? Unfortunately, I cannot find the front-view photo of the car, although I have a side view taken on an outing in 1962.

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 4 months ago #23

Platinum Boarder
FODENWAY wrote:
The original inspiration for the white version of Oxford's 1/43 Jaguar MkV11, PBT 55, was the car which my Uncle Joe owned in the early 1960's. After a small accident in which the Jaguar ran into the back of a Ford 100E saloon in Altrincham, Cheshire, the Jaguar went to our local garage to await relatively minor repairs. Because the accident had been my uncle's fault, the insurance company would not pay for the work to be done, and uncle could not afford to pay for the work doing. The Jaguar sat, deteriorating, behind the garage for a couple of years, until the proprietors gave him an ultimatum:- pay for storage or hand it over. As far as I knew, the car went to a scrapyard when it left the garage, but remarkably, the registration number PBT 55 shows up on the database as being on a GREEN 1955 Jaguar in current use! Is this the same car, rescued and restored, or simply the registration number retained and re-allocated later? Unfortunately, I cannot find the front-view photo of the car, although I have a side view taken on an outing in 1962.

The model you describe is my collection and the reg # PBT55 can be found on a Jaguar XJ13 replica.

And it may be coincidence the same car with a cream MKVII following:

Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by Ecclesley.

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 4 months ago #24

Gold Boarder
What wonderful news and photographs - is it possible that this beautiful replica was built on the chassis of my uncle's old car?
Thanks for the update,
Kevin.

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 4 months ago #25

If that is true Kevin: it is a small world

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 4 months ago #26

Gold Boarder
It certainly is, even in the full-size world!

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 4 months ago #27

Platinum Boarder
FODENWAY wrote:
What wonderful news and photographs - is it possible that this beautiful replica was built on the chassis of my uncle's old car?
Thanks for the update,
Kevin.

As far as I know most of the model cars which Oxford Diecast has produced are replicas of real existing cars with the proper reg.#. They have done this with all Rolls Royce and Bentley models which I have collected, with the exception of the latest yellow and black Phantom III, which is just a different color variant.

I also have a lot of O.D. Jags MK VII/VIII and IX; all I have to do is search for the real car it was based upon. I am pretty sure they will  be existing.

That cream MK VIIM with reg.# PBT55 was launched by O.D. about 3 years ago. I would say they must have had knowledge of the real car, otherwise they could not have copied it. Which brings me to the idea that the car still exists. It is hard to image that they went through all the trouble reproducing a car which ended up in a scrapyard many years ago, that does not make sense to me.

As to the reg. # that is a question mark which needs further investigation.

The XJ13 is a mid engine chassis configuration whereas a MK VII  has a conventional front engine lay out. So I do not think the chassis has been swapped.

Although I am not 100% sure I have a feeling the MKVIIM (still existing) has been sold to France (in the past three years)  and has been re-registered with a French reg. #, probably the car in the back of the second picture is that very car. The pictures were made at a race in France. It has the split windscreen which is typical MK VII. So maybe the reg.# PBT55 was retained and transferred to the replica XJ13 (speculation).

This is the description O.D. gave to the cream Jag., does it sound familiar to you, presuming you knew how your uncle's car looked like:

Our replica of the VIIM is finished in a pale ivory cream with cream wheel trim ring and a black chassis. The interior has red seating, cream 'carpet' with the remaining features finished in brown with a black steering wheel. Registered PBT 55, notable additions to the model include a manual transmission steering wheel, the gear stick fitted to the central transmission tunnel and shorter 3-rib bumpers. Fine details include chrome window frames and radiator grille, in addition to the bumpers.

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 4 months ago #28

Platinum Boarder
Very interesting reading all this!! It's possible I reckon...... that the original car exists and the number is now on that XJ13 replica

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 4 months ago #29

Platinum Boarder
To prove the point I was making about O.D. replicating existing cars: here two O.D. Jags with their real life prototype:

The model:

The real deal reg.# XXM 568

The model:

The real deal, reg.# 5390 MD

Re: Oxford Diecast and their real world protoypes 3 years, 4 months ago #30

Platinum Boarder
My 2nd car (after a Mini) was a Mk7 faked up to look like a Mk 9 in the same maroon & black as one above (the 2 piece windscreen gave it away to those in the know).

Have fun