Spot On Vauxhall Cresta
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you'll find all the diecast forums dedicated to specific manufacturers.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Spot On Vauxhall Cresta

Spot On Vauxhall Cresta 6 years, 2 months ago #1

Gold Boarder
Hello All,

I few month ago I had purchased this Spot On Vauxhall Cresta and now I have completed it back to a color match of the light blue.  I did replace the front and rear bumpers, license and window unit.

Regards,

Allen
Last Edit: 6 years, 2 months ago by Rivetking62.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Spot On Vauxhall Cresta 6 years, 2 months ago #2

It looks like new, well done

Re: Spot On Vauxhall Cresta 6 years, 2 months ago #3

Gold Boarder
Thank you,

Allen

Re: Spot On Vauxhall Cresta 6 years, 2 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Bombers really? Have you welded a couple of these to the back to be in keeping with the period?

Rivetking62 wrote:

Hello All,

I few month ago I had purchased this Spot On Vauxhall Cresta and now I have completed it back to a color match of the light blue.  I did replace the front and rear bombers, license and window unit.

Regards,

Allen

Re: Spot On Vauxhall Cresta 6 years, 2 months ago #5

A beautiful piece of restoration...It looks like it just came out of the box...thats really nice..great skill sets..

Regards Niall
Last Edit: 6 years, 2 months ago by Dublin6.

Re: Spot On Vauxhall Cresta 6 years, 2 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
A job well done and you should be proud. Nice addition to your collection.

Re: Spot On Vauxhall Cresta 6 years, 2 months ago #7

Gold Boarder
Hello Niall,

That is what I strive for.  I am not on a whole lot but I have a lot of work going on with this cars as other hobbies.  Perhaps too many projects!  The color match is "spot on" sorry, found a pun!  Seriously and as you probably know, the original paint quality on these old Tri-ang models is not good.  Not to mention they did not prime the bodies prior to paint. 

Regards,

Allen

Re: Spot On Vauxhall Cresta 6 years, 2 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
I don't think that Dinky or Corgi primed their models either. I have never found primer under paint on any I have restored at least.

Re: Spot On Vauxhall Cresta 6 years, 2 months ago #9

Gold Boarder
Hello,

I am not sure what you mean by welded back a few but this is the first of this particular Spot On model I have done.  I do original and custom die cast car restorations if that is what you mean.

Regards,

Allen

Re: Spot On Vauxhall Cresta 6 years, 2 months ago #10

Gold Boarder
Thank you!

Re: Spot On Vauxhall Cresta 6 years, 2 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Rivetking, I think he was pulling your leg on the misspelling of Bumper you wrote it as Bomber. and I quote: " I did replace the front and rear bombers, license and window unit."

Re: Spot On Vauxhall Cresta 6 years, 2 months ago #12

Gold Boarder
Thank you!  A great model for sure!

Regards,

Allen

Re: Spot On Vauxhall Cresta 6 years, 2 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Rivetking62 wrote:
Hello,

I am not sure what you mean by welded back a few but this is the first of this particular Spot On model I have done.  I do original and custom die cast car restorations if that is what you mean.

Regards,

Allen

It was a joke.... Plus having a couple of Victor nuclear bombers welded to the back of a Vauxhall Cresta would obliterate the Cresta... I am on about the word bombers? The term you used in the original post

Re: Spot On Vauxhall Cresta 6 years, 2 months ago #14

Gold Boarder
Jim,

No problem.  Besides, I have you as a spell check.  I corrected my initial post. 

I don't recall finding primer under the paint on any of the Dinky and or Corgi models when stripping the paint either.  The Spot On and the Dinky (in theory, Spot On) Hong Kong models, seem to be the easiest to strip and seem to always have the least amount of paint on them when I receive them.  I get them in pretty rough but salvageable condition.  This Cresta also had one missing angled rear pillar so I fabricated a new one out of scrap die-cast, fused it to the body added the two thin trim lines to it out of wire to match the other side of the car. It is to driver side shown in the image. This car is like the earlier Dinky Plymouth Fury sedan that has the thin window pillars and many of the play worn cars lost the entire roofs because of it.  

Regards,

Allen
Last Edit: 6 years, 2 months ago by Rivetking62.

Re: Spot On Vauxhall Cresta 6 years, 2 months ago #15

Gold Boarder
I see, no problem.

Allen
  • Page: