Tekno Denmark cars
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you'll find all the diecast forums dedicated to specific manufacturers.

TOPIC: Tekno Denmark cars

Re: Tekno Denmark cars 3 years, 9 months ago #76

Platinum Boarder
That is what happens when they all want their spoils in the will. Yes if they knew what they were doing they could have built Tekno into a successful business and in the end got a better deal if they sold the business much later on to the Chinese.

Re: Tekno Denmark cars 3 years, 9 months ago #77

Platinum Boarder
Yes, with better managment they may have survived a little longer, but Karl has already mentioned Mattel and their Hot Wheels and we all know what impact they had on other toy car makers... and with the global economy crisis lurking just around the corner, I highly doubt they would have made it past 1973-74 anyway.

Tekno was a small-ish company in a small country, producing very advanced toy cars. They had no big multinational connections or far-east production links to help ease the impact.

The combined Mattel/crisis blow was so strong, that hardly a single brand escaped major consequences - think of it: what brand can you think of, whose 1975-models were better than their 1970 ones? Could Tekno have followed the same route of "dumbing down" their models? In theory, yes, but it would be totally against the company spirit to churn out whizzwheels models with no features, not even grilles and headlight details (like Dinky & Solido + others did by the mid 70s)

By the way, there are still lots of original, unused spare parts in "circulation" on the danish market. You can even find complete, unassembled cars (with the late, blanked out baseplates and "Mustang-wheels")
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Tekno Denmark cars 3 years, 9 months ago #78

Platinum Boarder
Some Tekno collectors debate whether the blanks are 'real' Teknos, or the Tekno Holland are 'real'.  I like to collect them all.   Then there are the Kirk on the baseplate, and Tekno on baseplate but sold by Walco and by Dalia!  many permutations!

Teebo is right - there are a lot of the blank baseplate issues around.  But I wish i could find one still in the blisterpack.  i have never seen one for sale, and never seen one at all!  Most of them must have been left-overs and never blister-packed?  I don't know...

Re: Tekno Denmark cars 3 years, 9 months ago #79

Expert Boarder
Die letzten Wochen und Monate von Tekno sind absolut undurchsichtig.

Re: Tekno Denmark cars 3 years, 9 months ago #80

Expert Boarder
.... some one good old TEKNO

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Tekno Denmark cars 3 years, 9 months ago #81

Expert Boarder

Re: Tekno Denmark cars 3 years, 9 months ago #82

Expert Boarder
it's a reserve for a gread cleaning or restore.

That's no a TEKNO.

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, RoutemasterNL

Re: Tekno Denmark cars 3 years, 9 months ago #83

Platinum Boarder
Good to see more Tekno vehicles being shown. The Mustang looks good.

Re: Tekno Denmark cars 3 years, 9 months ago #84

Platinum Boarder
I just love Teknos (and Kirk) but have few due to costs. Thanks for sharing those last few beauties. The Mustang is in incredible conditon

Re: Tekno Denmark cars 3 years, 9 months ago #85

And here is my contribution, I hope Kirk is allowed too

The detail is superb

Re: Tekno Denmark cars 3 years, 9 months ago #86

Platinum Boarder
First I don't think I have heard of this one. Kirk Denmark, is that the toy makers name, if it is I have never heard of them, nor have I ever seen one. Now for the big question is this bus in for some major repairs Theo.

Many cheers.

Re: Tekno Denmark cars 3 years, 9 months ago #87

Platinum Boarder
Kirk was a Danish telephone company that bought a toy company (Langes Legetoj) that made a lot of the Tekno cars and trucks for Tekno.  This was around 1958 and then the contact or agreement expired in 1969.  So Kirk changed the name from Tekno to Kirk on the baseplates on the ones that they made and started selling them themselves. In approx 1970 Kirk sold their toy car business to the company that bought Tekno!  So Kirk were perhaps made for one or two years only.

Confused yet?  

Only the name on the baseplate is different than Tekno - more are shown here:

www.hobbydb.com/subjects/kirk-brand
Last Edit: 3 years, 9 months ago by karls.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GunnerJim, RoutemasterNL

Re: Tekno Denmark cars 3 years, 9 months ago #88

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Karls you have explained it well. I suppose those with Kirk on them would be very few between for collectors to seek. So Theo you best fix up your bus up like new again.

Re: Tekno Denmark cars 3 years, 9 months ago #89

Platinum Boarder
Some Kirks appear in Tekno boxes and vice-versa.  So you have to look at the baseplate to be sure.  Kirks may be less rare but they seem to be pretty common, expecially unboxed.

Furthermore, Tekno Holland started up about 1974 and also made several of the old Kirk models. That's how they got started!  So look for Tekno Holland as well on the baseplate of the bus! In fact, the same Danish factory, Termax, was probably contracted out to make the parts for the Dutch company as well.

They show them on their Museum website:  

www.tekno.nl/en/modellen/digitaal-museum...o-promotie74069.html
Last Edit: 3 years, 9 months ago by karls.

Re: Tekno Denmark cars 3 years, 9 months ago #90

Platinum Boarder
Now I think of it yes I had read something on Tekno Holland some years ago. Again thanks for the extra information on this subject.

Many cheers.