Here's where you'll find all the diecast forums dedicated to specific manufacturers.

TOPIC: Spot On

Re: Spot On 7 years, 9 months ago #76

Platinum Boarder
Got it Niall, for a nice price. Structurally sound, so this will restore, no doubt.

Last Edit: 7 years, 9 months ago by Ecclesley.

Re: Spot On 7 years, 9 months ago #77

Casting looks great, underneath all that paint is a beautiful car just waiting on your treatment....

Looking forward to seeing this resurrected....

This Spot on Thread is going great...

Niall

Re: Spot On 7 years, 9 months ago #78

Platinum Boarder
Last Edit: 7 years, 9 months ago by dinkyjay.

Re: Spot On 7 years, 9 months ago #79

Platinum Boarder
dinkyjay wrote:
Another great Gerrit awaiting your care and attention. I await the finished results.

Happy camper here, thanks for the encouragement, I will do my utter best to make it a nice restration. The color blue is on my mind.................
Last Edit: 7 years, 9 months ago by Ecclesley.

Re: Spot On 7 years, 9 months ago #80

Platinum Boarder
I have the 103 licence plates on my eBay store if you need them. Contact me and I can send you a set.

Re: Spot On 7 years, 8 months ago #81

Platinum Boarder
Nobleco wrote:
I have the 103 licence plates on my eBay store if you need them. Contact me and I can send you a set.

Thanks for the offer, I will consider it.

Another thing, the Royal Rolls Royce arrived today from the US. The Dinky On Spot Toys one, you will remember Niall.

I am very happy with it, no complaints, it was a steal anyway. I am posting some pictures to show you how it really looks like, but also for some advice.

I know where to get replacement parts.

The car needs cleaning, it is dirty everywhere

First the right side of the car, in comparison with the left side this is where the car and the paint have really suffered. Apart from the marked places, there are many very small bubbles, we call them pickles. It will lose more paint for sure. The paint is very dull. What strikes me is that the layer of paint is rather thin and also I can't see any undercoat. I guess that is the main reason why it sheds its topcoat so easily. It looks like casting metal corroding under the paint and next it lets go. The door handles gone.

The top of the radiotor grille and the rings around the lights have lost all shine, and obviously the mascot is missing.

Looking underneath, as often the battery lid is gone. You can also see that the left front wheel is out of line. With the car rolling it is really wobbling around like a drunken sailor. Either the axle is bent close to the rim, or the insert of axle into the rim is crooked.

The shot from the roof shows one big and one small crack in the "glass house". And of course the royal standard and shield are gone.

The rear shows a partly missing lock handle. The spare wheel is there. Are the rear light really sitting that deep, is that correct? The bootlid closes with a rather wide space on both sides, is that normal?

Finally a shot of the right side. much better looking than the opposite. It really sufferd on one end whereas the other is pretty nice.,

Now my question concerns the color of the interior. It is tan for sure. The Rollerman said:

Quote:

Can I just say to you that your recent Spot-On 'Royal' Rolls-Royce purchase may be the vary rare version, the seats moulding looks like they are the tan colour instead of the usual blue or gey colour. If they can be proven to be the tan coloured seats, I would personally not repaint the model, it will be worth keeping it as it is, please!

Unquote.

Any comments and advice on that? Thanks.
Last Edit: 7 years, 8 months ago by Ecclesley.

Re: Spot On 7 years, 8 months ago #82

It is nice and for the price you got it...a steal...looks like some major problems with the paint lifting...may have been badly stored in a basement with damp and cold..now do you strip this one and do a total restoration..that's really your question, I read the section on the interior colours and it mentions both pale grey and tan....but dosen't say if one is rarer....

I checked the two I have here...both have grey interiors..so your's may well be rare and it may be unwise to take it apart....

I have emailed Nigel Lee one of the authors of the Spot on book and await his answer...

However I can't see you leaving it in that condition and I think it will lose more paint...

All the parts you need as you say are available from Rob in Holland....

Nice item....you did well

Niall

Re: Spot On 7 years, 8 months ago #83

These two arrived today...and delighted to get them...from a good friend of mine...Mr C some of you may know him from the collecting and restoration world, a true gentleman......

Jensen Number 112 Made 1959 - 1963 only....

Austin Truck 106/A...needs work on the connection between trailer and truck..this is the British Motor Corporation version , should have a crate and MGA......

Delighted with these two...

Niall

Re: Spot On 7 years, 8 months ago #84

Platinum Boarder
Dublin6 wrote:

I have emailed Nigel Lee one of the authors of the Spot on book and await his answer...

However I can't see you leaving it in that condition and I think it will lose more paint...

Nice item....you did well

Niall

Thank you very much Niall, much appreciated. I am curious what Mr. Lee's answer will be on the interior.

You know I don't buy cars as an investment object, so in a certain way of speaking value is no main consideration (however the purchase price is).

I think this car is only a few steps away of a total restoration, but I postpone my decision until after the interior assessment.

A full resto might sound crazy, but crazyness kept me from going insane.

Re: Spot On 7 years, 8 months ago #85

Platinum Boarder
Dublin6 wrote:
Delighted with these two...

Niall

Like you said Niall this Spot On topic is going from strength to strength.

Your day has been a good one. Congrats.
Last Edit: 7 years, 8 months ago by Ecclesley.

Re: Spot On 7 years, 8 months ago #86

Niall, I can't trace Justin's email address. Could you ask him for a new forum thread callesd Spot On?

Re: Spot On 7 years, 8 months ago #87

Platinum Boarder
By the way Niall, doesn't this interior look rather green (Googled)

Re: Spot On 7 years, 8 months ago #88

It does...but is it the light and its the grey?

No word back yet.....on the rarity of tan...

Niall

Re: Spot On 7 years, 8 months ago #89

Theo

I sent Justin an email and copied you, you should have it now...
Niall
Last Edit: 7 years, 8 months ago by Dublin6.

Re: Spot On 7 years, 8 months ago #90

Mail received, thanks Niall