Here's where you'll find all the diecast forums dedicated to specific manufacturers.

TOPIC: Spot On

Re: Spot On 7 years, 9 months ago #46

Platinum Boarder
Just got this AEC Major &  I got the Fiat to see if my hot water soak will clean the glazing

Last Edit: 7 years, 9 months ago by Andy66.

Re: Spot On 7 years, 9 months ago #47

Andy

Two nice items, the AEC is nice, really nice...they are big and solid.....The Fiat will come up well, you should get that paint off the windows...if not Rob in MK models in Holland stocks these...

Nice additions to your collection...How are you getting on with the Spot on book..

Niall

Re: Spot On 7 years, 9 months ago #48

Gold Boarder
All,

Here are a few of my restorations.  I carefully brought back each from heavy play worn conditions.

Regards,

Allen

Re: Spot On 7 years, 9 months ago #49

Absolutely beautiful restorations, you did the very nice Spot on cars justice bringing them back to life again.

Re: Spot On 7 years, 9 months ago #50

Allen

Great work on all of these, I especially like the Zephyr but also the Bentley, the two Rolls, and to be honest each and every one...You were missing for a short time...missed your restorations always top class....

Is there something wrong with the glazing unit on the Royal Rolls Royce, if so (it may be the picture angle) I do have one spare here you can have....

Niall

Re: Spot On 7 years, 9 months ago #51

Gold Boarder
Thank you so much!
Allen

Re: Spot On 7 years, 9 months ago #52

Gold Boarder
Hello Niall,
Yes the holiday and in the shop working on cars. I'll try for more contributions. Thank you for your kind words. I really like to take pride in what I do. Sometime I paint a car and I will not like how it looks so I'll strip the paint and start over. The silver and blue Rolls was one like that. As far as the window unit, it must be the light and or angle. I do try to salvage any original window unit I can. Small scuffs and scratches can be sanded and polished out. In the case of each of these Spot On models, all window units are reproduction. They were to far gone as far as being repairable. Thank you for the offer on the window unit. : )

Regards,
Allen

Re: Spot On 7 years, 9 months ago #53

Platinum Boarder
These are all restorations you can be utterly proud of.

Top notch stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rivetking62

Re: Spot On 7 years, 9 months ago #54

Gold Boarder
Ecclesley,

Thank you so much!

Regards,

Allen

Re: Spot On 7 years, 9 months ago #55

Platinum Boarder
Great restorations Allen, I need to get my interest back in restoring mine, I keep buying them & putting them away for a rainy day .

Niall, back at work now so the book is on my shelf but I have really enjoyed what I have read so far, I have noticed an increase of Spot-On things for sale since the book, I bought the AEC for a really reasonable price, the Fiat was less than £5.00 I have a boxed one but this one is for that rainy day..

Re: Spot On 7 years, 9 months ago #56

Gold Boarder
Hello Andy,

Thank you!  In all honesty, I too have a number of models waiting for restoration.  I think many of us have a nice collection, our cars for restoration and our bone yard with junk and parts cars.

Regards,

Allen

Re: Spot On 7 years, 9 months ago #57

Gold Boarder
Andy,

For paint on a plastic window unit, if I cannot scrape it off with my fingernail, I use a fine grit sand paper with water.  Start with a 600 grit and work up to 1000 grit, rinse of with water and dry with a cloth towel.  Then you can use a head light restoration polish after with a buffing wheel with make them like new.

The buffing wheel you can attach to a drill motor with and apply a dab of polish.  It works every time!  You may want to try this first with a scrap window unit first. I have polished out some of the new reproduction window units with clouds this method as well (no sanding). 

Regards,

Allen
Last Edit: 7 years, 9 months ago by Rivetking62.

Re: Spot On 7 years, 9 months ago #58

Platinum Boarder
I will keep this in mind as it is good to try a different method, I soaked it for a short time yesterday & cleaned one window as did not have a lot of spare time.

Re: Spot On 7 years, 9 months ago #59

Allen

Great tip...could you take a few photo's when you are doing the next one and load them on here, it would be nice to see a photographic sequence and see the makes of polish etc....

Regards Niall

Re: Spot On 7 years, 9 months ago #60

Gold Boarder
Hello Niall,

I will do so.

Thank you,

Allen