Tekno boxes for 928 and 929.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you'll find all the diecast forums dedicated to specific manufacturers.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tekno boxes for 928 and 929.

Tekno boxes for 928 and 929. 7 years, 8 months ago #1

Expert Boarder
Old type box with the first car, #928 MB 230SL convertible.

Old box #928 230SL Convertible

Old box, #929 230SL HT

Old version of box, #929 230SL HT

Later Tekno box. For a period all cars came in this box, only difference was the text at the end of the box.

Later Tekno box with name and number of the model that came with it.

Open Walco box with Tekno car. As far as I know Walco was a German company.

Walco Tekno box closed.

Base of the Walco box that came with a Tekno car.

Kirk version with a box for the German company Walco.

Walco Kirk box again.

The box here says "Model Products". A Swedish company called Berico sold Kirk toys using that name.

Last Edit: 7 years, 8 months ago by knutjv.

Re: Tekno boxes for 928 and 929. 7 years, 8 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
These are some nice cars, are they yours?
The following user(s) said Thank You: knutjv

Re: Tekno boxes for 928 and 929. 7 years, 8 months ago #3

Expert Boarder
Thank you.

Yes they are a few of mine. I believe I have 42 of this one... - and still searching for more variations of 230SL and 280SL plus ALL 250SL plus parts cars.

Re: Tekno boxes for 928 and 929. 7 years, 8 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Nice cars and interesting to see the different boxes they had over the years, Thanks fo showing

Re: Tekno boxes for 928 and 929. 7 years, 8 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
What a great history of these 2 Tekno Mercedes!  I wish I knew the story behind Walco.  This is what I know so far:

Walco

Tekno also had some type of marketing and sales agreement  with a German company called Walco.  Older boxes were red and yellow and marked Walco Montage-Modell.  Newer boxes were light grey, opened from the top like the
MPC boxes, and marked "Walco System" with the address "Walco International, 7888
Rheinfelden, Josefstr.19A".  Similar to the MPC models, these were marketed as
kits to be unassembled and then re-assembled using an instruction sheet –
however, unlike the MPC kits, these came fully assembled in the box. A German
300SL collector states that they were sold with Tekno on the baseplate and then
later with the Tekno name removed (http://www.mb300sl.de/M-ZMod.htm ). 
However, I have seen both Tekno and Kirk versions.  The following models were
listed on the back of the instruction sheet:

914/915           FORD D-800

924/925           MERCEDES 300SL

926/927           JAGUAR E-type

928/929           MERCEDES 250SL

930/931           Monza

932                  MERCEDES 250SL Polizei

The 928/928 Mercedes was released in 1965 as a 230SL and then updated to 250 and 280 on the actual model.  So perhaps these Walco models were all sold from the mid to late 1960s – no dates are printed on the boxes or instructions.
Last Edit: 7 years, 8 months ago by karls.

Re: Tekno boxes for 928 and 929. 7 years, 8 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Model Products and MPC:

A few Tekno/Kirk were sold in the US as "strip ‘n steer" - all unassembled kits (pre-painted) with instructions, in large boxes.  The boxes were marked with an MPC symbol and the address: Model Products Corporation, Mount Clemens, Michigan 48043, made in Denmark, Litho in USA.  I assume the Model Products black boxes were for the European market, while the strip ‘n steer were for the US.  Both had the little blue diagonal box design on them!

I never saw your Mercedes as a strip 'n steer, though! 

MPC was an American company founded in1963 by George Toteff to  make plastic model kits.  He sold the company a few years later to General Mills.  So with the popularity of plastic automobile kits in the US, it makes sense to me that the Kirk toys were sold as kits in the US market by MPC.   However, both styles of boxes included an instruction sheet to assemble the  model.
Last Edit: 7 years, 8 months ago by karls.

Re: Tekno boxes for 928 and 929. 7 years, 8 months ago #7

Expert Boarder
Both the Walco boxes says it has a 250SL, but the ones I have came with 280SL. Not sure they are the right ones though. The later Walco box came with a Kirk. Both Tekno and Kirk can have been used in that one, as Kirk was used only for about one year. I have never seen any with Walco on the base. The same is with the Model Product box, that was a Kirk. I am all the time trying to find out more about these cars, so I am happy for everything I find out.

The grey Walco box has a price on it; DM12,90. I have now bought a few at about €20 so I believe that's a good price.

Re: Tekno boxes for 928 and 929. 7 years, 8 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
I have:

4 Walcos - 3 Tekno and 1 Kirk.  The Kirk is the 280SL!  The Teknos are other castings.

black box - half Tekno and half Kirk

strip 'n steer  - all KIRK, shrink wrapped boxes so they WERE NEVER replaced, and still unassembled of course.

The Teknos could all be later replacements to fill up a rare box, right?

Re: Tekno boxes for 928 and 929. 7 years, 8 months ago #9

Expert Boarder
Walco made the deal with Tekno.

There was a shorter period the 928/929 were made only by Kirk. So far I only have seen Kirk as 280SL.

Re: Tekno boxes for 928 and 929. 7 years, 8 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Have you seen this one?  Just got it out from storage to photograph.  I bought it 15 years ago.

Tekno 280SL (on the baseplate):

click for larger...

Tekno was known for cooperation with the manufacturers to get measurements of new cars before they were released.  They also worked with the distributors in Denmark, so perhaps this was for the Danish importer?  Never seen another Tekno like it

Re: Tekno boxes for 928 and 929. 7 years, 8 months ago #11

Knut and Karls,

thanks for the very interesting background details and stories about the  Tekno-Kirk-Walco connections. 

I was very lucky receiving the Walco MB for Knut and sending it to him. that gave me the opportunity to look at the car and the box, but now I feel I should have examined them better.

I did not know all of this, so thanks again,

in my to do box is still a Tekno MB, don't know which one it is, shall have to dig it out again
Last Edit: 7 years, 8 months ago by RoutemasterNL.

Re: Tekno boxes for 928 and 929. 7 years, 8 months ago #12

Expert Boarder
Karl, I believe you are right about that dealer thought. Never seen anything like it before.

And if that is an original 280SL it's a rare variation, as all my 280 have black or dark grey base plate. All my 230 and 250 have white.

Re: Tekno boxes for 928 and 929. 7 years, 8 months ago #13

Expert Boarder
Both these boxes have name and address for a dealer:

Bohnstedt-Petersen A/S (Inc) in Hillerød.

Re: Tekno boxes for 928 and 929. 7 years, 8 months ago #14

Expert Boarder
Found something more interersting:

Look at the black sircle above the Tekno sign. I believe it says something like "opening doors - licenced Solido".

Re: Tekno boxes for 928 and 929. 7 years, 8 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
So did different dealers sell these in the different boxes with there dealer names on them, I be these are chuffing rare.
  • Page: