First time I make use of Milliput
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you'll find all the diecast forums dedicated to specific manufacturers.
  • Page:

TOPIC: First time I make use of Milliput

First time I make use of Milliput 1 year, 5 months ago #1

Expert Boarder
<p>I tried to fix the A pillar of these Bentley's.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>The post are a bit thicker than the Original post but I am afraid to break them.</p>
<p>After some primer it looks OK</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Finished one in red and one in black</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>The red one is made twotone and detailed</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>The black one was finished with clear lacquer and now the detailing in silver won't hold.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Don't know yet how to fix this</p>

Re: First time I make use of Milliput 1 year, 5 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Nice Bentleys, did yu mask the grille area off, I presume that is what one might do in this case.

Re: First time I make use of Milliput 1 year, 5 months ago #3

looking good! What I do if replacing a broken pillar: I glue a cut off piece of a paperclip in first. Then cover that with a similar stuff like miliput. It is a bit stronger that way
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: First time I make use of Milliput 1 year, 5 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Great job the pillar looks good, I like the two tone colours. With regards the silver let it dry & try again the shine on the claear coat makes the paint seperate, if it doesn't work get a tiny piece of very fine wet & dry & clean the area you want to paint, wire wool may help too it's simply to take the shine of it & give it a key.

Re: First time I make use of Milliput 1 year, 5 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Andy is correct in that the paint will separate on shiny surfaces. I have the same when I paint grilles and bumpers that I have painted. The silver seems to run away and create fish eyes which is annoying. Sanding will help. I am not using lacquer so I just have to give the area a few coats to cover.

Re: First time I make use of Milliput 1 year, 5 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
The unfortunate part is that if you laquer after painting chrome paint it usually turns the silver to grey, so therefore you have to laquer before you paint the brightwork.

Re: First time I make use of Milliput 1 year, 5 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
I don't use clear for my models as the paints I use come out shiny enough for me and most others. They are for display not play so don't need the added protection of a clear coat. To me they end up way to shiny for my liking. I only use clear on things like Corgi Base Plates as I use Grey primer on them. I have some water based paints and so does my wife and from time to time I use then for a match on color. One example is the Corgi 309 Aston Martin Racing version. Here is the body painted with flat water based paint and the finished job.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: First time I make use of Milliput 1 year, 5 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
I know, I broke my own rule but I was not sure the lower Blue/green would work out so was surprised then it did come out so well. Just took a few more coats to cover. That was back in July of 2010

Re: First time I make use of Milliput 1 year, 3 months ago #9

Expert Boarder
Finally finished the Bentley's.
Left the black one for a while to harden the paint and very carefully grinded the parts that need the silver paint.

Although my hand is not so firm anymore I stiil do the detailing without masking off.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: First time I make use of Milliput 1 year, 3 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
These look great and you can't tell that your hands might be a bit shaky as the details look great. I do some shaking from time to time but when that happens I just stop. Come back another day as I don't shake normally.

Re: First time I make use of Milliput 1 year, 3 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Some good work there and milliput is a well used filler/putty within the model making community.

Great to see two more Bentley cars back on the road.

Rollerman.
  • Page: