Here's where you'll find all the diecast forums dedicated to specific manufacturers.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Politoys

Politoys 2 years, 9 months ago #1

Gold Boarder
Just today got a photobooth all the way from China. For just 7 dollars I have a foldable box with led lighting and two different backgrounds, black and white.
Of course I needed to test this new contraption so I had a good excuse to show a few more Politoys.
The photo quality is a lot better now, although I have to experiment with depth and focus. All the below pics are on automatic but even for a 1/43 model that means that not the whole car is in focus alas.

Anyway three models from the first M series:

Fiat Coupe 1200 S OSI

Iso Rivolta

Matra 530 Vignale

From the second M series:

Alfa Romeo 33 Berlinetta

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Politoys 2 years, 9 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Depth of field is not very easy to control with automatic Cameras. Cameras with removable lenses will have manual adjustment to allow more Depth of Field, I.E. more of the model to be kept in focus.

The closer to the Camera the model is, the depth of field will be reduced. The further away from the Camera the model is, a wider depth of field can be attained but then this makes the model appear quite small in the viewfinder or on the LCD screen, but this in effect is of benefit, because assuming the Camera is a minimum of 6.0 Mega Pixels, the model will in fact be sharply focused and all you need to do when the pictures are imported to your computer, is crop them so the model comes much closer to filling the frame.

Rollerman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dinkydi, PoliTom2

Re: Politoys 2 years, 9 months ago #3

Gold Boarder
That makes good sense, thanks.

The camera does not have detachable lenses but plenty of settings which I never really needed to explore. Next time I will also try with a little more distance.

Also maybe set the aperture manually to a lower value.

Re: Politoys 2 years, 9 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
One of the biggest advantages of Digital over Film is that you can take loads of pictures during experimentaion and just delete them afterwards, which we could not do with Film, so a lot of wastage was the result in trying to get those few perfect pictures.

A small aperture (a high f-stop number), will bring more of the subject in focus which when outside in Dylight is not a problem, but when inside a building it will be too dark for such a setting so you will then have to have some supplimentary flood lighting.

Rollerman.

Re: Politoys 2 years, 9 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
I use a 22 F stop or aperture setting with my Nikon D40 and it has a removable lens. I also use the flash but have to watch I don't get too close to the subject as I get a nasty shadow at the bottom from the lens being below the flash and I an not straight on to the subject. I have had it for 10 years now and still don't know how to work stuff like white balance which, I understand, will help with eliminating shadows and the like and puts the model alone on the picture with minimal distractions.

I use a couple sheets of white printer paper, one standing and one laying flat. They are held by a book that is open. Picture size is 1504 x 1000 original size and I crop it down to 1004 x 650 for posting on sites like eBay or Planet Diecast. I try to take the shot on zoom and be about a foot from the model and fill most of the view finder with the model. I then crop our the rest. Here is a Kodak Bedford Van I am going to restore for my collection. Camera and technique for these photos is as I described above.

Now if I can get rid of all the back ground I would be happy but have not figured out the program I have yet that will let me do that.
Last Edit: 2 years, 9 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Politoys 2 years, 9 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
White balance in Cameras is designed to average out all the tones seen in the frame for a finished picture. Professionals set White balance in the field (or on location shooting), with a Grey card held in front of the lens a couple of feet away. This sets up the correct exposure.

Modern Cameras available to the average enthusiast do quite a good job with all these adjustments, it's just sometimes they need a helping hand.

I try and always use light colours for my backgrounds, underexpose the picture then with a little bit of post production on the pictures when on the computer, I can burn out the background as shown in my Before and After image below.

Rollerman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Politoys 2 years, 9 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Just found this charming Fiat 615 N bus , never seen a real  one .

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, RoutemasterNL

Re: Politoys 2 years, 9 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
What a lovely model, I have never seen this.

Re: Politoys 2 years, 9 months ago #9

Gold Boarder
That Fiat is a nice model. I have one as well, but not in such a nice condition.

The series of plastic models from Politoys/Polistil is actually quite large, the majority of which will never be in my possession..

A few more plastic ones:

Ford Taunus

Volkswagen & Ford Anglia

Two Fiats

Alfa Romeo Guiletta Sprint

Mercedes

Pontiac Parisienne (long model)

Lancia Flavia

Innocenti Austin A40

Not plastic but Fibreglass. Politoys had about 10 models made from fibreglass. Among which is this Opel.

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, blackstone, RoutemasterNL

Re: Politoys 2 years, 9 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
That is a great collection of models & your background drop brings them to life, great to see.

Re: Politoys 2 years, 9 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Great Politoys Photos!!!

Re: Politoys 2 years, 8 months ago #12

Gold Boarder
My first military Politoys, also made from plastic. It is missing the canon, but still nice.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, karls

Re: Politoys 2 years, 8 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Nice representation of this Field Artillery Tractor. I have the same one by Dinky Toys with the ammo trailer and the gun. It is a nice set even if mine is play worn and needed the gun shield repaired. I am very happy with mine as I am sure you are with yours in plastic by Politoys.
What seems to be wrong with your spare tire and mount. Looks like the tire has slid down on the rim or the rim has been distorted. Can you show me that part of the truck?

Re: Politoys 2 years, 8 months ago #14

Gold Boarder
I noticed that myself but didn't really think about it until now.
When I tried to hoist the spare up a bit the thing came apart, in other words it is detachable...

So the rim was a little bit to high / not pressed down enough and also in the first pictures part of the rim had a black part, small damage, which made it look as if the rim wasn't round but it really is.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, karls

Re: Politoys 2 years, 8 months ago #15

Gold Boarder
This by the way is a picture of the whole thing, borrowed from www.aessemodels.it/

• Page: