Here's where you'll find all the diecast forums dedicated to specific manufacturers.
  • Page:

TOPIC: My Franklin Mints

Re: My Franklin Mints 3 years, 11 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
Cars were better than the planes

Re: My Franklin Mints 3 years, 11 months ago #17

Platinum Boarder
Terrytoo - a bit embarrassing but I have no pics of the FM Lincoln I used to have, as I lost the photos I took, and sold it about 2-3 years ago and a bit of a collection "streamline"!

But a photo of what the same car should look like is on a site called:

mpdiecast.net/models/fm.html

The car was a 1961 Lincoln Continental 4 door convertible. When I said "Clap door" it is a term used by American Lincoln enthusiasts, due to the positioning of the doors. The rear doors are rear hinged and the fronts (drivers and front passengers) are front hinged so when they are closed, the handles are next to each other.

A British car - the Rover P4 - also has doors like this as does the latest modern Rolls Royces and other old limousines.

I suppose people call them Clap doors as they close in the fashion of how a person claps their hands....... (sort of). Some windshield wipers are called "clap hands" wipers too.

The site's quite good and shows many if not all of the 1/43 FM American cars available. Also looks like the Avanti's were all as bad as each other with the door gaps...........

Re: My Franklin Mints 3 years, 11 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
Hi Mark
Suicide doors is what most people refer to them as ...........
Have fun
Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: CollectorandrestorerMark

Re: My Franklin Mints 3 years, 11 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
I agree with Terry as the door hinged on the rear can be hit by a car coming from the rear and forcibly closed by that car hitting it. Therefore called a suicide door. Lot of cars in the 30's and 40's had them.
  • Page: