Here's where you'll find all the diecast forums dedicated to specific manufacturers.
  • Page:

TOPIC: My Franklin Mints

My Franklin Mints 3 years, 11 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder

I only have 3........

But these are beautifully detailed and engineered considering they were out over 25 years ago I think;

The 1959 Cadillac Eldorado convertible in white - quite an easy one to obtain compared to the others; and the blue car is the 1963 model which I took a while to find one I could win on the bay;

Great detail and everything opens on them. Why couldn't more models be like these?!

And here's the 3rd car - the Studebaker Avanti;

Re: My Franklin Mints 3 years, 11 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Hi
I have several F.M's and D.M's, are these 43rd or 25th ? A few years back I won on Ebay a complete 'Cars of the 50's' set for 20 U.K. pounds. It had fallen off the wall and they were all damaged mostly only a little, but the wallboard was in pieces. F.M. don't supply spare parts (in the U.K. or in the U.S.) so I use them as bits for my butchery.
Have fun
Terry

Re: My Franklin Mints 3 years, 11 months ago #3

The Eldorasos look much better than the avanti. That has some serious issues whith the fitting of the windows. That is a shame because it is a very nice car altogether
The following user(s) said Thank You: CollectorandrestorerMark

Re: My Franklin Mints 3 years, 11 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Hi

Shame about the window fit on the Avanti. I have 2 off 43rd Avanti's and a blue & a gold 25th Avanti and I can't see any problems with the windows on any of them. The  leading edge on the doors of the 43rd's leaves a little to be desired. Here's the blue 25th.

Sorry can't load pics of others, I use 'other characters' in the file names & the site won't accept them, and computer refuses to use the 'new' file name if I rename them.

But have fun

Terry

Re: My Franklin Mints 3 years, 11 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Franklin Mint cars there were so many to choose from. Postal orders were patchy in the 1990s ad could never quote complete a series.
Opted for Matchbox - Dinky Corvette collection, however did make an attempt on the US cars.
In scale 1/43 got a black chevy belair. Never got the Avanti, always eluded me.

Initially my first F.M. was the Stutz, then Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost, a mercedes 300SL, and a Phantom II Silver Ghost.
Sent real decades later added another Gullwing, a broken Silver Ghost, mercedes SSKL roadster, and a Coffin nosed Cord.
By this time they were cheap to buy.

Re: My Franklin Mints 3 years, 11 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Indeed some nice ones Mark. And like the others said, that Avanti is not done very well. Besides the window, the hood is not a good fit, as are the doors. The model itself is very extra-ordinary.

Re: My Franklin Mints 3 years, 11 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Terrytoo wrote:
Hi

Sorry can't load pics of others, I use 'other characters' in the file names & the site won't accept them, and computer refuses to use the 'new' file name if I rename them.

But have fun

Terry

Have you tried clearing your cache after you rename the photos? You can also do what I do and rename them like this. Photo # 1 of 12a and then change it to Photo 1 of 12a - 1

Gets rid of the special character and you can post the second one and do what you want with it afterwards....delete or keep.

Re: My Franklin Mints 3 years, 11 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Terry, have you tried making a copy of one of your pictures and renaming the copy.

Also try opening one of your pictures in the 'Paint' programme and just add a tiny bit of editing such as a black dot over a dark part of the image and when it comes to save the edit you can rename this new version of the picture to a name that you know has worked on the forum when being uploaded here.

Rollerman.

Re: My Franklin Mints 3 years, 11 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Hi Rollerman
I cannot tell a lie, no I haven't tried making a copy e.t.c. I'll try & remember to do that next time.
I don't have a 'Paint' program as it is a (add expletive of choice) Mac.
I think the key expression is..' Why do in 3 steps what you can achieve in 47".
I am not really a computer person.
Thanks and have fun
Terry

Sorry Jim, I read Rollerman's post before yours. I do number the pics, but I use English not 'computerese' i.e. use inverted comma's to specify, like the AMB tin car I have 2 so the second I titled AMB 'Fire'. But these were all 'titled' before I joined this site, so it's more a matter of undoing than doing.

As for my 'cache' , I thought only pirates & highwaymen had them, so no I don't/didn't/haven't/don't know how to 'empty my cache'.

Thanx & have fun

Terry
Last Edit: 3 years, 11 months ago by Terrytoo.

Re: My Franklin Mints 3 years, 11 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Apple Macs have a far more complicate programme for editing pictures and having used one for a while until it's dying Days, I can not recommend any Mac Book computer for the model car collector, far too much going round the Houses to get something done which on a normal Microsoft base computer (Windows 10 excluded!),  takes Seconds once you have done it a few times!

Rollerman.

Re: My Franklin Mints 3 years, 11 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Evening gentlemen, firstly to answer Terrytoo's question they are 1/43 scale as far as I know. The Avanti has nice detail but I agree the panel gaps (of the opening parts) are pretty horrendous and make it look toylike. But as far as I know it's been like that from new as I bought it off Ebay in its original polystyrene packing which it still has. Your 1/25 scale blue car is fabulous by the way!

I'll keep it as it was originally the only 1/43 model one could get of the Avanti although BoS models now make a resin one in the same scale and colour with no opening parts. It's probably a better looking model but will got £35 sterling from a seller in Germany less postage.

The Cadillacs are better though and have opening bonnets with great engines.

I used to have the pale blue "clap door" Lincoln Continental open top from the range which I bought for an English pound with no windscreen or engine or grille and headlamps. But I fitted a cruder replacement cut from a Tekno replacement Lincoln glass unit and a new engine meant for the Dinky Ford Mustang and Galaxie! I also fitted a new grille meant for a Dinky Continental like the one I showed in pics on the Dinky thread.

I wouldn't mind a few more from the range but good condition ones go for high prices for some - I like the '68 Dodge Charger, Corvair and Ramber Classic sedan from the range too.

Re: My Franklin Mints 3 years, 11 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
This is for Terry. I have done a google search for clear cache on a mac and come up with this.
To clear your user cache and system cache, do the following:

Open a Finder window and select “Go to Folder” in the Go menu.
Type in ~/Library/Caches and hit enter to proceed to this folder.
Optional step: You can highlight and copy everything to a different folder just in case something goes wrong.

This should put you in a position to clear your cache. It is often used by the computer to fill in a page on the internet that is the same as what you view but the problem arrises when that page is different. Your cache will want to take over and mess it all up so deleting web cache is important to do from time to time to make sure your looking at the latest pages.

As to editing photos, you need to get rid of the quote marks either single (') or Double (") They are special characters. Using your example you don't need quote marks, use the single dash (-) or minus sign.
For an editing program it seems there is one in your Mac already. Just open a photo and follow what they say on the net.
Open your image; then click Edit on the top right of the program window. Select the Crop button (third from the top) on the toolbar at the right. Drag the brackets at the corners of your image, and use the grid lines on the screen to help compose your picture.Apr 28, 2015
There is also a link

www.tomsguide.com/us/edit-photos-os-x-tips,news-20828.html
Copy and paste it into your browser.
Hope this helps.

Re: My Franklin Mints 3 years, 11 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Hi Mark

As you have probably realised, I collect Studebakers, so when it comes to Avanti's I am your man. (Before I retired I had a small transport company guess what it was called , had money too)

There are a few other 43rd Avanti's out there, but none of them are particularly cheap.

There's Buby/Collectors Classics from Argentina but now defunct. They usually go for about the £35 mark. They did 63's (round headlamps) & 64's (square headlamp surround), several colours of each. (I have a black, a cream and a maroon which is slowly being butchered into a salt flats racer).

Mikansue, also now defunct, sold only as kits, crude I think is the best description. I have 3, a maroon one bought built and 2 kits. Again quite expensive and scarce.

Collector's Mint, few & far between, and needless to say quite expensive when you can find one. they are O.K. but not great. I have one and I have only seen 1 other.

Minimarque, again defunct, (is there a pattern here ?) plenty of choice of years and colours but usually very expensive. £60 and up. I have several not sure exactly.

As for the BoS model, I would like one but I can't justify that amount now we are retired. I would have posted more pics but you can read about that in another post .

Please post a pic of the 'clap door' ? Continental.

H.T.H. & have fun

Terry

Re: My Franklin Mints 3 years, 11 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Hi Jim
Thanks for those instructions...BUT... there are 46 'caches' all with meaningless names.
I have opened a few and they appear to have 3 or 4 more 'caches' within.
I can alter the image titles in the way you describe, but it makes no difference. I have also changed the tiles in places like 'library' and still no difference. I can see your 'caches' explanation as being correct, but not sure I am brave enough to just empty the lot (assuming I can !).

Rollerman is so right I have had Windows P.C.'s and compared to this p.o.s. they are so easy, why people rave about how good Mac's are I'll never understand.
You say I can download 'Photos' free from Apple ! I have a Macbook Pro and it has iPhotos the wives' Macbook Air has 'Photos', they don't even share the same charger (or charging voltage.)

Thanks & have fun
Terry
Last Edit: 3 years, 11 months ago by Terrytoo.

Re: My Franklin Mints 3 years, 11 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
I just hope the cars are better than those planes that FM sold
  • Page: