Lightning strikes here! This forum is all about JL - new and old!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning 6 years, 11 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Is it true that Johnny Lightning may have been put out to pasture by the parent company Tomy ? If so will their excellent models continue in another guise ?

Re: Johnny Lightning 6 years, 10 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Haven't heard any such rumour yet, sure hope not. While Tomica/Tomy make some nice detailed cars they don't do many muscle or classic old cars which is my collecting style and I love the JL ranges. (especially film and TV cars).
Last Edit: 6 years, 10 months ago by Drak.

Re: Johnny Lightning 6 years, 10 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Searches on google show that it's a done deal I'm afraid.

Re: Johnny Lightning 6 years, 10 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
That is very sad if true .

The only thing I can find on the matter is a discussion on Swifty's Garage.

I don't own any Tomy/Tomica diecast cars, Why? They've never released anything that has interested me and they don't appear in stores here where I live. So unless that improves I probably will never own any. Guess I will have to look to Greenlight and Auto World to fill my needs.

Re: Johnny Lightning 6 years, 10 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
I bought my Tomica in the 1980's when they were sold at Kmart.

I think M2 Machines do a better product than JL

Re: Johnny Lightning 6 years, 10 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
M2 machines are definitely much better though a tad larger than 1:64, about a 1:58? scale I would guess. I have 4 only at the moment A Black '54 Dodge coronet chase car, A red with gold grill '57 Chevy bel-air, A very darlk blue '58 Plymouth belvedere and a Red/White '57 Dodge custom royal lancer..I have my fingers crossed and am really hoping they do a '59 Dodge Coronet in Black like my avatar sometime in the near future, love that car.

Re: Johnny Lightning 6 years, 10 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Have you seen reference to "Burslem Real Types" made in Canada who make a '59 Dodge. There is one for sale on ebay.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Drak

Re: Johnny Lightning 6 years, 10 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Hadn't, but have now Thank you! While the start bid price isn't too bad, buy it now is double that, however the $180.00 Shipping price to Australia is insane. At least I now know someone made one.

Re: Johnny Lightning 6 years, 10 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Yes I think the shipping price may be wrong    You might like to keep an eye  on this item judging by prices of this brand in the past, it has a long way to go.

Re: Johnny Lightning 6 years, 10 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Have stuck it on my watch list The shipping price is for UPS w'wide saver service with a 3 day delivery (Private jet? lol!) No other delivery option offered.

Re: Johnny Lightning 6 years, 10 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Its free shipping to me in the USA so if i can assist just send me a PM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Drak

Re: Johnny Lightning 6 years, 10 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Tomte PM sent.

Now returning back to the original topic

It amazes me that people in the U.S. quibble over an extra dollar or 2 for JL (one reason given for the closure."People weren't preparred to spend an extra dollar on JL's) when here in Oz you can barely find a supplier, and on average I pay $15.00 a car to buy them from America. Heck we can't even buy Hot Wheels or Matchbox for under $2.50 a car from Kmart here (my area). I would love to be able to buy JL's for a flat $5 even but I can't because I have to factor in the high postage cost to get them here. Most times I have to buy from Feebay and I refuse to pay more than $18 postage from the U.S.for one item. Specially when I know it should only cost $15.00 max. Even less for HW or MB.

So on that basis I can understand the closure but it is a shame.

Re: Johnny Lightning 6 years, 10 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
It seems that the market for diecast cars is a difficult one.

I really hoped that under the Tomica umbrella they would get the funding to do more new casts and to expand their exposure.

Re: Johnny Lightning 6 years, 10 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Yes JC a tough market indeed.

I also hoped to see better things from the purchase by Tomica but it would appear that they are more interested in marketing their Robot toys rather than JL cars sadly.

Re: Johnny Lightning 4 years, 10 months ago #15

Fresh Boarder
  • Page: