Tonka, Bandai, Nylint, Tipp, Buddy L, Ertl, Smith Miller... if it's made of pressed steel or tin, here's where it belongs!

TOPIC: Large Scale Triang

Re: Large Scale Triang 6 months, 3 weeks ago #16

Platinum Boarder
Nice job of it and the grille finishes it off. The bus pull along cord is great but I also see holes in most of not all the fronts of these trucks. Did they have that option or was it an original item?

I looked your Red and White Car Transporter up on Google just now and your correct. You need to find another set of wheels and an axle.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy66

Re: Large Scale Triang 6 months, 3 weeks ago #17

Platinum Boarder
This photos also shows the ramp.

Re: Large Scale Triang 6 months, 3 weeks ago #18

Very pretty!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy66

Re: Large Scale Triang 6 months, 3 weeks ago #19

Platinum Boarder
I can get a set of original wheels & an axle to put on the trailer but they will set me back the best part of £30 so as it has been missing these for years I will wait until I see some more affordable

Re: Large Scale Triang 1 month ago #20

Platinum Boarder
A friend at work showed some of my work to his friend & he saw this Triang Thames Trader in a second hand shop & bought it for me, I have purchased a new grill & decals.
I have to say that this is going to be a labour of love, I have never seen so many different coats of paint on a model before even the rear doors are stuck fast , fingers crossed it will look brand new again, I have tried oven cleaner on the wheels & it looks like that after a few efforts it will strip the paint , I am peeling some off then hopefully caustic soda will do the trick.

Re: Large Scale Triang 1 month ago #21

Platinum Boarder
I will say that truck is a mess. I too have never seen that many paint layers on a toy before. You even have some of the original decal on the back side of one piece. Nice. This is going to give your Caustic Soda a run for its money. It should take it all off but maybe not all in one go. Keep at the oven cleaner as it will not harm plastic or rubber but has never failed me in removing even the most stubborn paint bits.
Looking forward to the results.

Re: Large Scale Triang 1 month ago #22

Platinum Boarder
I got up early today to make a start before the rain, I have counted around ten different colours, the cab came off & I have stripped it this gives me hope for the rest of it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Large Scale Triang 1 month ago #23

Platinum Boarder
Very nice to see the results on you Caustic Soda Cleaning. Bare metal after all that paint must make you happy. This look great to start off with. Now for the tires.

Re: Large Scale Triang 4 weeks, 1 day ago #24

Platinum Boarder
I have spent a long weekend on this & it has been a hard graft but I will let the pictures of the restoration do the talking. It is now all back to original Triang colours I changed the box back colour to turquoise as I did the tipper with a blue back, the colours are as Triang would have done it , you can see an original on Triang NL website.

Re: Large Scale Triang 4 weeks, 1 day ago #25

Platinum Boarder
Nicely done, the colors are vibrant and it looks to me like the tires came out really nice. I can see you need a swing lever for the rear doors like they show on the Tri-ang site. I am wondering what the little hole on the top left corner of the box is for. A light? maybe?
That is a pretty good site for people like yourself. Shows the trucks etc off nicely.

Re: Large Scale Triang 4 weeks, 1 day ago #26

Platinum Boarder
I was gone away from the computer too long and was logged out after writing what I have above. I then logged in, used the back button twice to get back to this page and the opened up the Quick Reply. My text was there so I copied it and then closed this dialogue box, started a new quick reply and then pasted the post in. It was all there and now I don't have to re type it.

Re: Large Scale Triang 4 weeks, 1 day ago #27

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Nobleco, the hole in the box is for the switch for when it had lights I will put it back in, I will take pictures of the under side when paint is hardened , it has the battery holder, the repro grill is not made for the lights .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Large Scale Triang 4 weeks, 1 day ago #28

Platinum Boarder
That is interesting. I looked at the Tri-ang web site and copied a picture of this truck and blew it up in Picture manager and you can see that the grille has holes in the headlight for a bulb of some sort. I did not see that before. Thanks.

Are you going to put a latch on the rear doors?

Re: Large Scale Triang 4 weeks, 1 day ago #29

Platinum Boarder
They were available in two options one with lights one without , I will look into making a latch although they used to scratch the paintwork when they got bent.

Re: Large Scale Triang 4 weeks, 1 day ago #30

Platinum Boarder
This is true. You could always make one from plastic like when you make hoods(bonnets) and truck (boot) lids.