Semis, artics, pickups, vans, road trains - whatever they are and whatever you call them, if they're used to transport stuff, here's where to talk about them.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ongoing Projects

Ongoing Projects 6 years, 4 months ago #1

Fresh Boarder
Here are a few photos of my ongoing projects

number 1 is this rather play worn Corgi "Mobilgas" tanker that I bought off of Ebay

It has so far been totally dismantled and dunked in paint stripper to remove all the paint.

The new "Enviromentally Friendly" paint stripper just doesnt seem to be as ruthless as the old stuff was, so the Cab and Tank had a few dunks in the stuff.

I didnt take any photos of the stripped or primed bodies, so the next photos I will post of this truck will be reassembled and painted.

Next project is a pair of corgi "Ford H series" trucks (AKA Two Storey Falcons)

The original plan was to us these two tractors to make one tandem axle tractor by cutting the chassis'.

But Ive had a better idea for the tandem bogie and will probably use the one from the corgi Mack tractor instead, That will then leave me with  a spare complete Ford.

I plan to fill the holes where the air horns used to be, Horrible over scale things, Hopefully I can find some nearer to scale size (any suggestions would be appreciated

I am thinking of pairing the remaining tractor wit a Matchbox SuperKings animal trailer.

So far only one of the trucks has been dismantled and dunked in the paint stripper, I havent got much further with this project so I can take some more ongoing photos .

Years ago I worked maintenance team of a well known Battery manufacturer, In the tool Makers dept there was a Bead Blasting Machine, This used very fine glass beads at high pressure to remove surface rust etc from machine tools.

It also did a great job of removing he paint from diecast tots, revealling the fine detail hidden under the paint and didnt damage the casting either, Alas my present employer doesnt have one of these machines so I have to use the nasty chemicals
Last Edit: 6 years, 4 months ago by sundanceuk.

Re: Ongoing Projects 6 years, 4 months ago #2

Nice trucks and good ideas for converting them. Keep us updated!

Re: Ongoing Projects 6 years, 4 months ago #3

Fresh Boarder
I have a number of other corgi & dinky trucks that I have restored but I never took any photos of them before restoration, would you still be interested in seeing them ?
Last Edit: 6 years, 4 months ago by RoutemasterNL.

Re: Ongoing Projects 6 years, 4 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Welcome to the site Sundanceuk, It would be great to see your models before resto , it is good to see models come back from a state but if you have photos of just restored ones it is just as interesting. I have found that a certain paint stripper is not like it used to be , however last week when the weather was hot I found it stripped the paint off a Dinky Saab I restored though it did take a lot longer than it used to.
Last Edit: 6 years, 4 months ago by Andy66.

Re: Ongoing Projects 6 years, 4 months ago #5

sundanceuk wrote:
I have a number of other corgi & dinky trucks that I have restored but I never took any photos of them before restoration, would you still be interested in seeing them ?

Oh yes, that would be great

Re: Ongoing Projects 6 years, 4 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Hi just floating by and dropped in. Looking forward to the completed restorations.

Cheers from Australia.

Re: Ongoing Projects 6 years, 3 months ago #7

Fresh Boarder
here are some of the models that I have previously restored.

First is the dinky Leyland Skip loader (marrel multi bucket loader), this was in a heavily play worn condition, it was total stripped of all remaining paint and then resprayed using DupliColor Car Touch Up aerosol paints (primer and top coat) to as near original colours.

Next is a Corgi Big Bedford S Type with Carrimore Low loader trailer, I did a bit of detailing on this one to make it look more realistic, Bedfords had painted grills with only a small amount of chrome, bumpers were normally body colour or black.

The trailer was painted with a zinc based primer and left a matt grey colour, the floor was picked out in wood effect colour

Dinky Guy with High Sided body, again duplicolour was used to match the original paint. This was in a very distressed state when I was given it by a friend.

Hope you like these few Ive posted here, As i said earlier these are older restorations (10-15 years ago) and I didnt think to take any Before photos because I didnt have a PC or know anything like this site existed.

I have more older restorations If You Are still interested.

Re: Ongoing Projects 6 years, 3 months ago #8

They look very good, thanks for sharing. the colors look very authentic.
I sometimes use duplicolor too, very good paint!

Re: Ongoing Projects 6 years, 3 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Some great stuff you got to restore, and judging by the work you showed these will look great too.

Re: Ongoing Projects 6 years, 3 months ago #10

Fresh Boarder
As I said I have some earlier restorations in my collection, This coles Crane was bought in 2000  needing total restoration.

After the customery stipping of the old paint it was primed and repainted using Duplicolour car touch up aerosols, I managed to find somebody selling original looking green string and a reproduction hook (alas I have lost the remaining string, and can't find any similar, unless you know better)

I added new transfers, add touched in some extra details on the casting to highlight them.

Next Is one of my all time favourite Lorries from Dinky, Probably because I could relate it to the real thing I saw on the roads when I was out with my dad in his Lorry.

Sorry for the Photo quality, OK so we all know it is the Leyland Comet Cement Lorry, This such a relistic toy because of its livery, and for dinky to produce a one of casting for the skirted body was a gamble for them that must have paid off.

I bought this at a collectors fair, The chassis was broken behind the cab so I had to make a bracket to repair it, I used some electrical DIN rail bent at 90 degrees and riveted into place on the chassis and cab back, this is all hidden by the body when it was reinstalled

Reproduction transfers and some extra paint to mimic a photo of the real thing seen in a magazine, not original I know but I like it

Next is Dinky's version of the Big Bedford S type, I was given this by a friend, the rear of the body was full of what seemed to be car body filler (bondo) just scrapped everywhere, It was then painted a hideous pink colour, I say painted but it was more applied with either a yard broom or dipped in the paint, Only the shape gave away what was under all that crap.

I must add that my friend also collected diecast toys and the condition the lorry was in was how he got it in a job lot of vehicles, Again sprayed with duplicolour but the cab colour is the nearest I could find at the time

I have placed some "O" Gauge model railway loads in the body for display, so much better than looking at empty vehicles.

OK last but not least is a progress report on the Corgi "Mobilgas" tanker I have been restoing, It is now all repainted and reassembled.                                                         

Just waiting for the replacement tyres and transfers, these are in the post as I type this, so hopefully at the weekend I can add these bits and also pick out the catwalk and grill trim in silver

More photos when It's finished

Re: Ongoing Projects 6 years, 3 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Looking good so far, with regards to the green string on the Coles truck one of our members and top restorer sells it in his shop, Jim (nobleco) can help for sure.
Last Edit: 6 years, 3 months ago by dinkyjay.

Re: Ongoing Projects 6 years, 1 month ago #12

Fresh Boarder
OK its been a while but here is my finished tanker, I got the "Mobilgas" decals from ebay, and first impressions when they arrived was that they looked a bit poor quality, but I was pleasantly suprised with the outcome

I detailed the silver catwalk with a Paint marker pen, first time I have done this and I am very pleased with the results

Next is the Corgi Ford Tilt Cab Tractor, I filled the holes on the roof where the overscale damaged airhorns used to be and I also made up some west coast mirror arms from a paper clip, I still have to add the mirror heads, and I will get some better scaled air horns for the roof ( I think the matchbox KingSize air horns will be a better idea)

The cab was sprayed with ordinary enamel from a rattle can, the Chassis is painted Grey using genuine DAF chassis paint again from a rattle can, The lower panels were brushed with a fine stainless steel wire brush and then laquered to give the appearance of Aluminium.

Now the trailer is a Matchbox "SuperKings" Item that i think looks very much like an American made "Wilson" livestock trailer, Now Ive looked on the net and I can not find any with the side door/ramp like the model, also they all seem to be in the natural Aluminium finish, not painted, So do I paint it silver, or does anybody out there have any pictures of a painted "wilson" trailer, And any recommendations for toning down aluminium paint so that it is more to "Scale" and not over powering.

I need to add a spare wheel to the front bulkhead of the trailer too.

I did have two of these Ford Tractors and was toying with making them into a Tandem tractor, but I think for that I will use a Corgi Mack chassis and save myself some work

Re: Ongoing Projects 6 years, 1 month ago #13

Great work, I like it. The Mobilgas tanker looks factory fresh. Thanks for sharing

Re: Ongoing Projects 6 years, 1 month ago #14

Great finish on that tanker..looks superb...and those decals look quality.... The Ford cab is a lovely finish as well...Great skill sets....

Niall

Re: Ongoing Projects 6 years, 1 month ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Excellent work.
  • Page: