First gear wheel removal
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Semis, artics, pickups, vans, road trains - whatever they are and whatever you call them, if they're used to transport stuff, here's where to talk about them.
  • Page:

TOPIC: First gear wheel removal

First gear wheel removal 6 years, 4 months ago #1

Fresh Boarder
Hi, Hope this is posted in the right place, I have just bought a first gear 1/34 model of an International reefer truck, It was bought as damaged.

One of the rear dual wheels has broken off, leaving part of the location spigot on the axle rod and the axle rod is bent as well.

I want to remove the broken spigot from the axle rod and attempt to straighten the rod or replace the rod.

Replacement will mean I will have to remove the other set of Dual wheels from the axle rod to.

OK so Ive tried but the bits won't come off, Anybody had experiance in removing first gear wheels with little or no damage .

Please help

Sorry that the picture quality isnt very good.

Re: First gear wheel removal 6 years, 4 months ago #2

I have no experience with FG trucks, but what is it possible drilling an hole in the hubcentre and place another thing axle?
In that case you don't have to dismantle the good wheels

Re: First gear wheel removal 6 years, 4 months ago #3

First Gear uses press on axles and wheel sets. They have a knurled or splined axle that holds the wheels onto the axle. If you have a bench vise or a raised concrete walkway you can set the axle on, you will only need to take the broken stub of the wheel set off the axle and slide the axle through the chassis. If you have the bench vise, Just set the bent axle into the vise horizontally and close the vice jaws to straighten the axle. If you don't have a vise, you can use the concrete method. Lay the axle on the concrete with the tires up against the edge of the walkway or concrete slab. I use a 22 ounce ball peen hammer when straightening out the large scale axles, but much prefer the vise.The wheel set is going to be a bit of a challenge. If you have all of the plastic parts, you should be able to use them to reconstruct the wheel set. I any parts are missing, it's gonna be a bit of a pain to fix it. Is this a five hole disc wheel or a spoke wheel?
  • Page: