Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Semis, artics, pickups, vans, road trains - whatever they are and whatever you call them, if they're used to transport stuff, here's where to talk about them.

TOPIC: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks)

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 10 months ago #46

Platinum Boarder
I have had a few rides on these many times in my younger days. Take note that this Austin hasn't the firer shields added. I wonder if it had the fuel line shield cover underneath too. As these early models didn't have those luxuries when running along the firer line in the grass firers situation.

Brigade photo taken just after Ash Wednesday. Note the sideburns.

Last Edit: 6 years, 10 months ago by GunnerJim.

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 9 months ago #47

Platinum Boarder
DaveF wrote:
janwerner wrote:
Yes, there should be more to justify that remarkable qualification. Just calling everything green a goddess ...  Kind regards, Jan

Well, like I said, I'm pretty sure she was a pre-Christian wood nymph or something in England. What I can say for sure is, the phrase "green goddess" is quite familiar in the English of the UK, so when the Bedford green machine turned out to be a winner it was only natural to call her by the old familiar name.

Much the same reason as the American all purpose go-anywhere wartime vehicle was called a Jeep. Simply because back then any nondescript do anything go anywhere "gismo' was called a jeep! Well okay, maybe that's not a very good comparison since jeep never meant anything other than um.. well, nothing in particular.

Dave.

Hey, come on guys, we all know what 'JEEP' means...it was a General Purpose vehicle, a GP vehicle...GP is spoken as Jeep!

Rollerman.

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 9 months ago #48

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 9 months ago #49

Platinum Boarder
Hello Rollerman, if you investigate I think you'll find that the American military never called the Jeep a "GP" apart from some reference in an obscure list of army supplies - which I doubt the G.I.s would have been familiar with.

Then too, that doesn't explain the pre-war tractor that was named the 'Jeep', or the light aircraft that was named 'Jeep', or for that matter, the American cartoon character who was known as 'Jeep'.

It's common knowledge that back then, just about anything that didn't have a name was referred to as a jeep (by Americans at least).

And it's been reported that when Willys demonstrated the prototype to Congress and the Press by having it driven up the steps of the White House, a female reporter asked the driver what the new vehicle was called, and he replied "Gee Maam, I dunno, I just call it the jeep". And that's what she reported it as in the newspaper.

Dave.
Last Edit: 6 years, 9 months ago by DaveF.

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 9 months ago #50

Platinum Boarder
Cool Code 3 magic indeed.

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 9 months ago #51

And another code 3 that may interest you by Dave Mansfield... Sold for £137.00 on Ebay last night...These are all members of GHG..another forum I'm on...

Niall

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 9 months ago #52

Platinum Boarder
They look like factory models, very nice.

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 9 months ago #53

Platinum Boarder
Hey Gunner, regarding that last fire engine you posted, the one you call an Austin. I could swear that's the Austin version of the Morris WE that Budgie produced - like this:

It just so happens I converted one of those to a Fire tender a couple of months ago. Bring back memories?  

Dave.

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 9 months ago #54

Dave

Now that's a great code 3....

You have a lot of talent...and the finish on that one is terrific....

Niall

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 9 months ago #55

Platinum Boarder
I just want to add, you have a very nice collection of Bedfords GunnerJim.

Congrats.

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 9 months ago #56

Platinum Boarder
Yes great job on the town pumper. Excellence indeed

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 9 months ago #57

Platinum Boarder
DaveF,                     EXCELLENT CODE 3's. 

A craftsman amongst us............

They "LOOK FACTORY TO ME"

dinkyboy

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 9 months ago #58

Platinum Boarder
Thanks a lot for your comments guys, but really, it's more a case of stubborn persistance than actual skill in my case.  

Dave.

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 9 months ago #59

DaveF wrote:
Thanks a lot for your comments guys, but really, it's more a case of stubborn persistance than actual skill in my case.  

Dave.

That's the same thing...keeping going until you get it right....

Niall
Last Edit: 6 years, 9 months ago by Dublin6.

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 9 months ago #60

Platinum Boarder
well done , they look really good