Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Semis, artics, pickups, vans, road trains - whatever they are and whatever you call them, if they're used to transport stuff, here's where to talk about them.

TOPIC: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks)

Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 10 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
What does this little reproduction of the famous Bedford S Series hold for the collector. How many toy companies reproduced this 1950's American styling image captured by Vauxhall Motors a subsidiary of General Motors America. In 1925 General Motors had managed to import Chevrolet Lorry's into Britain through the backdoor using the imperial preference tariff protection import restrictions by assembling parts made in Canada in Brazil then shipping those Chevy's into England.  Late in 1925 GM managed to purchase Vauxhall and transferred production to Luton where a country town by the name of Bedfordshire was. Hence the name originated Chevrolet Bedford and in 1929 the name of Bedford has been used ever since.

Below is some of my Moko Lesney Matchbox Series S Series Bedford Tipper Lorry number 3 which replaced the cement mixer on the shelves.

Last Edit: 6 years, 10 months ago by GunnerJim.

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 10 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Moko Lesney, Matchbox Series Number 27, the Bedford Low Loader would be one of the most sort after Matchbox in this early series as they maintain good prices on eBay and the likes. The light blue and dark blue combination seems to demand the higher price than its common predecessor having a dark green cab and tan low loader.

The M2-1 series by Matchbox included the Wall's Ice Cream articulated semi van.

Unfortunately I don't own one of those blue Bedford articulated low loader.

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 10 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Here is my collection of military type S Series Big Bedford's and leading from the left is the Morestone Budgie made in England, The Dinky 62 Bedford 3 ton and two Britains Bedfords renditions of the same concepts.

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 10 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Strange how Lesney swapped categories around. These Bedford S Series articulated car transporter semi (tractor) have the category of Accessory Packs number A2-1.

Blue and the last release had the red cab and grey trailer. Will get around to cleaning off that black paint one day.

And my Code 3 of the busted cab conversion.

It is all Matchbox though.

Number 28 Bedford Compressor truck in need of some paint. Might just get another one in better nick.

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 10 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Change of pace here is the Corgi Carrimore version of the S Series Bedford. I like the detail Corgi included in this release.

I am up late waiting for the bidding to close on eBay so I'll be back so hang lose.

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 10 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Here is an old plastic and tin version.

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 10 months ago #7

Thanks for the interesting topic, these Bedforsds look great, I have a few Lesneys myself
The following user(s) said Thank You: GunnerJim

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 10 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Did Matchbox make these with windows

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 10 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
michael77 wrote:
Did Matchbox make these with windows

Unfortunately not. Lesney deleted this Bedford tipper styling from its ever growing series and replaced it with the Mercedes Ambulance that occupied the Number 3 slot. One would have thought that Lesney would have produced the Green Goddess which was the military 4 X 4 of road troop carrier and also used as a gun tractor.

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 10 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Dinky Big Bedford Number 522 and the Australian Micro Models long wheel base Bedford. Usually those little difference in tooling styling can be noticed like the grills on the Bedford S series can be noticed between these two.

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 10 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
A pictorial contribution of mine to the nice ones above:

Regards, Jan
Last Edit: 6 years, 10 months ago by janwerner.

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 10 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
So much for my late night visual on eBay. I didn't win what I was chasing for the bidding went berserk. So I cracked it and went to bed.

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 10 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Your so kind Jan for brightening up my drab collection and if other members wish to add their Big Bedfords then go for it.

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 10 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Micro Models and the Britains version of the Bedford S Series.

Re: Bedford S Series Lorries (Trucks) 6 years, 10 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Dinky on the right and Morestone on the left. Notice the difference with the grill and the front window middle pillar.