New Motor World series announced
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
A place to talk about all the great models from GreenLight Collectibles. This is also the forum for the Greenlight Collectibles Group.
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Motor World series announced

Re:New Motor World series announced 9 years, 9 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
No, I think you\'re right. Classic Dinky and Corgi may have been sold in the US back then, but due to the extra costs of importing, they were probably never very widespread as kids\' toys, but more (even back then) as collectors items.

How many stories of car collecting start with the phrase \"I wanted to rebuild my childhood collection\"? Quite a few, I think. Without the childhood link a major incentive for the adult US collector to buy 1:43s is missing. Another thing is I\'ve heard many americans frown upon the european \'Mickey Mouse cars\', so why collect them as models?

The vast majority of US brand cars have been produced by US model makers, mostly in 1:64 scale, so that\'s another incentive for american collectors to collect smaller scale models.

I also think the kit comment was spot on. A kid interested in cars will very often move on to assemble kits at a certain age - I went through that phase myself Why? Maybe because collecting \'toy cars\' sounds childish - at an age where that\'s the lasrt thing one wants to be. Kits, on the other hand, presents a challenge and you can\'t really play with them, so it\'s much more widely accepted.

Sidenote: most of the kits I assembled back then have been cruelly crushed by the hads of time. All sorts of accidents and mishaps have taken them out one by one. But I still have my biggest model ever; a huge, black Monogram Camaro in scale 1:8!!!

Re:New Motor World series announced 9 years, 9 months ago #17

Platinum Boarder
I would like to see pictures of that Camaro if I could, please.

Re:New Motor World series announced 9 years, 9 months ago #18

I only have the one pic, I got the lot in one shot. I\'ll see if I can find one when I go to town.

Re:New Motor World series announced 9 years, 9 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
Some transition problems have occurred within the start of the Post.
  • Page: