New Motor World series announced
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
A place to talk about all the great models from GreenLight Collectibles. This is also the forum for the Greenlight Collectibles Group.
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Motor World series announced

New Motor World series announced 9 years, 9 months ago #1

Need a vacation? Take a trip with GreenLight as we travel the world with the successful series, 1:64 Motor World. First released in the summer of 2009, GreenLight was looking to offer a toy product line to complement their assortment of high-end collectibles. Behold! Motor World was created to fulfill this division of the die cast industry. Two years and four series later 1:64 Motor World is still as hot and fresh as ever, featuring vehicles from global car manufacturers headquartered in the United States, Japan and in several European nations. Well known domestic brands such as Ford and Chevrolet are paired with some of the most popular global car brands such as Volkswagen, Lamborghini and Porsche, creating an eclectic mix appealing to die-cast collectors from every corner of the globe.

1:64 Motor World Series 4 is sectioned into three different sub-series- Classics, All-American, and Speed. Segmenting this large 12 car series into smaller groups allows collectors to acquire miniature sets and as the most economical product offered by GreenLight, collecting all twelve is absolutely achievable.

1:64th Motor World Series 4 includes the following twelve vehicles:

Classics – Volkswagen Samba Bus

Classics – Mini Cooper

Classics – Mercedes Sprinter Van

Classics – Volkswagen Beetle

Classics – Volkswagen VW30

All American – 1956 Ford F-150

All American – 1969 Camaro Convertible SS

All American – 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air

Speed – Volkswagen RSi

Speed – 1958 Porsche 356A

Speed – 2003 Dodge Viper SRT/10

Speed – Lamborghini Gallardo

Quantities are limited to 2,250 units of each car and will be available at Toys ‘R’ Us and Meijer throughout the United States and through GreenLight Hobby Distributors/Wholesalers and Online Dealers around the world beginning in February 2011.

1:64 Motor World die-cast model cars feature 100% authentic metal bodies, plastic chassis, authentic detailed wheels and are officially licensed by the respective automobile companies. As with GreenLight Collectibles offerings, the “Green Machine” chase car program carries over into the Motor World line with 2% of the production run manufactured in alternate schemes to provide the marketplace with the rare vehicles the collector craves.

Re:New Motor World series announced 9 years, 9 months ago #2

Here\'s the pic of the series. I want the Lambo, and the Effy...

Last Edit: 9 years, 9 months ago by oldtruck56.

Re:New Motor World series announced 9 years, 9 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Rob, you sent me a Mini and a VW 30 last year. They are really nice models and the detail is quite good. I will be keeping my eyes open here in Canada for them.

Re:New Motor World series announced 9 years, 9 months ago #4

I have the Gallardo from the last series in charcoal grey I think, have to get it out and look. These are fantastic replicas for 64th scale, the details are stunning when you look at the micro printing on the emblems and badges. I want the Lambo in yellow to go with the one I have, and the Effy pick up, even if it is a Ford, it a great looking truck. If the Sprinter had Freightliner emblems....

Re:New Motor World series announced 9 years, 9 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
When they first announced them, they also introduced 1:43 scale models - same idea, lower price point, more toy like.  I saw them on their stand at the iHobby trade show in Chicago 2 years ago and bought them off their stand at the end of the show.  Companies keep trying 1:43 in the US but are not very successful...

Here are a few...

Last Edit: 9 years, 9 months ago by karls.

Re:New Motor World series announced 9 years, 9 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
oldtruck56 wrote:

If the Sprinter had Freightliner emblems....
I assume it is just this one in new colors: store.greenlighttoys.com/products/produc...r=96030_8/2102.0.1.1

Re:New Motor World series announced 9 years, 9 months ago #7

All the info I have on the new releases is posted in this thread. That\'s what I was sent from GreenLight. The Sprinter they sent me last time around I think I sent on to Old Irish, and I don\'t remember what livery was on it,

The Sprinter is a Mercedes product that was sold in the US with both Chrysler and Freightliner badges on it. My UPS driver had one for a couple months, loved it for the heater/AC, but didn\'t like the limited access from driver position to the cargo area. I don\'t think it remained here for very long, the narrow width and high profile of the cargo version made it a thrilling ride when the winds came up in the spring.

Re:New Motor World series announced 9 years, 9 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
I couldn\'t help but notice a small (but to me, remarkable) comment about companies not being succesful with 1/43 is the US. Is that really so? Or did the comment refer to Greenlight only? If it\'s general, then I find it very odd, considering that 1/43 or thereabout has been THE scale in Europe since... well probably always. Of course we\'ve always had easy access to Corgi, Dinky and Lesney/Matchbox as well as all the other Euro-brands and I have noticed on E-bay searches, that most of what\'s sold from the US is Matchbox (1-72) sized. Sorry for going OT, but I think this is both interesting and baffling - what could cause such a difference? Is it simply that US model makers chose a smaller scale from \'the outset\' and thus established this as standard? Or is it something else?

I really should post a photo of a Greenlight now to make amends, but I don\'t have any, sorry!

Re:New Motor World series announced 9 years, 9 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
It\'s a McDonalds thing again (supersize me)

Seriously if thats right why do they sell so many Hotwheels ? 

Re:New Motor World series announced 9 years, 9 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Dinkydi wrote:
It\'s a McDonalds thing again (supersize me)

Seriously if thats right why do they sell so many Hotwheels ? 

What have you been drinking I think you got it turned around the wrong way. Karl says that big (1:43) doesn\'t sell in the US, but small (1:64 like Hot Wheels and Greenlight) does.

Re:New Motor World series announced 9 years, 9 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
I have reread Karl\'s statement three times, isn\'t it funny how two people can interpret words differently?

No I don\'t drink, perhaps I should take it up?  

Re:New Motor World series announced 9 years, 9 months ago #12

43 scale is pick up a bit, but no where near as popular as 64th and 18th scale. The main reason for this I think is the .99 cent Hot Wheels and mainline Matchbox cars. Why spend 7.00 or more dollars on a toy car for a child to play with when a .99 cent car is available? Now add that auction site into the mix, and the insane prices that some of the Hot Wheels and early Matchbox cars brought (and still bring) and the mass hoarding of \"rare\" versions, a little greed, and a ton of the collective intelligence being spread so thin that it\'s developing holes in places, and you have the decline of the larger scale market.

Re:New Motor World series announced 9 years, 9 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
i want the yank models above very nice detailing on them.

Re:New Motor World series announced 9 years, 9 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
I\'ve been reading all the above comments, and rethought things a bit. There was a post earlier on in a different thread about the \'whizzwheels\'-revolution where somebody made a remark along the lines of \"you can blame the yanks and their Hot Wheels for that\"... and this could make some sense on this subject...

The early Lesney/Matchbox, the Corgis, the Dinkys, CIJ, Solido etc. all made model cars with a high emphasis on details, the scales were sometimes a bit off, but nevertheless there were lots of details. Look in an old catalogue from any of thes makers, and you\'d be hard pushed to find a \'fantasy model\' or even an extrem custom version of a real car. These were toys, alright, but these old brands always prided themselves in selling \'real, authentic cars\'.

Then came the spread of the Hot Wheels. Even the name says a lot \"hot\" and \"wheels\"... emphasis on \"hot\" = flashy, bling, smart, wow-effect and \"wheels\" = really fast, flashy, bling, etc. In other words, the emphasis was on something that looked flashy and shiny and would run really fast, whereas the european tradition had been for emphasis on authentic details. Even the boxes reflect this: Corgi, Dinky etc. usually made relatively simple boxes that would (mostly) only just be big enough for the models to fit inside. Artwork would consist of the company logo, name of the model, often a drawing of the model with arrows indicating working features. Only very few colors were used. Compare this to Hot Wheels and other US-brands using multicolored layouts, flashy graphics and often very oversized boxes to allow for all the \'glitter\'... Supersize Me, anyone? The \'Hot Wheels revolution\' around 1970 caused all the european brands to adapt to the Hot Wheels concept... the cars became \'very fast\' at the expense of detail and the catalogues were invaded by fantasy cars, dragsters, buggys, hot rods etc., all in very bright colors and with flashy stickers. Ever so slowly, I feel that the european modelmakers have returned to the roots of details and authenticity.

So what\'s the relevance? A model doesn\'t need to be big to run fast, in fact, the opposite is often the case, so if this factor (speed) is important, the incentive would be to make smaller scaled models. The bigger the scale, the more opportunies for detailing and working parts: a 1/64 model would require rather intricate parts to allow the doors to open, a 1/43 or even 1/36 as adapted by many brands can have rather crude casting and STILL allow the doors to open. I can also imagine that the flashy paint schemes used by Hot Wheels et al would be quite cost intensive, which would necessitate savings in other areas to keep the RRPs down = less details, smaller scale.

In other words, it\'s like two different worlds, or two different markets if you will. If you (as a model maker) believes your market potential to be for fast, shiny cars with emphasis on \'good looks\', then that is what you will make. Correct me if I\'m wrong, but I don\'t have the impression that there ever was an american tradition for \'authenticism and super-detailing\', so there are no roots to return to, no nostalgic collectors to cater for and no real reason for 1/43 models to be made. It\'s not that americans don\'t spend big bucks on car models, as the recent thread about Hot Wheels Redline auctions clearly illustrates, they simply \'go crazy\' over different types of models than we (europeans) do. And of corurse I know that there are dedicated Hot Wheels collectors in Europe, as well as dedicated Corgi/Dinky collectors in the US, but I\'m talking about the \'average, mainstream\' collector here.

I hope this post doesn\'t sound condemning, if so, it\'s very unintended. It\'s merely meant as a personal analysis of why things (possibly) are like they are.

To end on a slightly on-topic note, I feel that companies like Greenlight could be revolutionizing the american market with their attention to detail. Only time will tell, but this could help open the door for larger scaled models in the future.

PS: I\'m not unaware of the 1:18-scale craze, of course, but these models are so big that space restraints will set strict limitations on how many models one can collect.

Re:New Motor World series announced 9 years, 9 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
I was thinking about the last 20-30 years in the US,  when I mentioned 1/43 as not a popular scale.  Mostly because I what I see in the toy stores.  Nowadays that means TRU (Toys-R-Us), Wallyworld (Walmart), Targay (Target), and KMart if you have one.  If they have much of any toy cars at all, they will have Hot Wheels, Matchbox, and maybe some generic snall scale.  Also perhaps a few Nascar-type cars in 1:24 and a few customs in various 1/24 or 1/36 scales, not many.

A few US companies have tried 1/43 that did not last long.  Before Greenlight\'s recent Motor World,  Ertl and Road Champs and even Johnny Lightning had some for a while.  Also Mattel (Hot Wheels).    It\'s my favorite scale so I am not sure why it is not more popular here.  Matchbox even tried the mail-order route, with yesteryears and all kinds of car and truck series.  Did anyone here subcribe? Maybe all the 1:43 attempts were just overwhelmed by the Hot Wheels craze, as well as competing against the modern age of video games?

Back in the 1960-70s Corgi and Dinky were sold in the US.  Bur still they were more expensive and most often were not US cars, so perhaps not as popular. Then boys were into the Hot Wheels and Matchbox of course, but as you got older even more into buildiing plastic kits of US cars, mostly 1/24 scale.  Maybe that\'s why 1/24 and the larger 1/18 are popular with adult collectors now.  Guess I am just an odd-ball!
  • Page: