Hi from Sierra1
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
For all newcomers - welcome to the forums! Say hello and tell us a little about yourself and what you collect here!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hi from Sierra1

Hi from Sierra1 10 years, 7 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Hi guys. I'm an avid collector of Japanese tinplate. I have a passion for the Dinky toys I had as a kid. I collect pedal cars and vintage toys in general. Hope to make your acquaintances - I have lots of questions! Thanks Vaughan

Re: Hi from Sierra1 10 years, 7 months ago #2

Always good to see new members on here and you have a nice range of items that you collect..I'll be interested to see more of these..and questions.. go ahead ask away.. lots of knowledgeable people on here in all aspects of toy collecting....

I read your profile.. and a question.. I thought the Blue Peter Dinky toy appeal took items out of circulation..I do remember reading about this.. but it was classed as a negative...

Niall

Last Edit: 10 years, 7 months ago by Dublin6.

Re: Hi from Sierra1 10 years, 7 months ago #3

Hello Vaughan,

a warm welcome from The Netherlands.

Love seeing some photos of your collections.

Best Regards from Theo - RoutemasterNL

Re: Hi from Sierra1 10 years, 7 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Hi guys and thanks, Niall, it was way back in the early 70s I had just left art school and went to work at the BBC art dept and Blue Peter was my first job. They had an appeal at this time for Dinky toys. This was mainly for scrap metal and just the pristine mint boxed items, as it was just before the hobby was recognised as it is today! I had to go to the warehouse on a few occasions and on one occasion I said to the guy there I had  all these as a kid (they were sorted into 3 lots - unboxed for scrap, boxed used, ie light staple rubs, playwear etc to pristine mint boxed. the guy said "as long as you don't take the mint boxed stuff, help yourself". I loaded my car with the secondary boxed stuff, but still wake up in a cold sweat thinking of what I left behind. And all that unboxed stuff that went for scrap. It was stacked floor to ceiling in pallets. Nightmare.

Re: Hi from Sierra1 10 years, 7 months ago #5

That Blue Peter Fiasco deserves a thread on its own own..I understand tons of Dinkies were destroyed in that appeal......I blame John Noakes....

Thanks for the background and at least you saved a few.....

Niall

Re: Hi from Sierra1 10 years, 7 months ago #6

Cam

Platinum Boarder
Welcome aboard Vaughan, from the west coast of Canada. I am sure you will enjoy meeting the folks here.

I dunno what this blue peter thing is all about, but I am sure I don't like it from the hints you guys are dropping!!

Cam

Re: Hi from Sierra1 10 years, 7 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Hi from Australia. I do remember The Bill from its first episode where only on set of footsteps were shown followed by the next episode with two sets of footsteps. As for toy collecting Reg Hollis points out some interesting information with a Dinky Toy and the other where a train carriage gets squashed during one of the scenes. Well something like that.

Now that you are the proud owner of the real Sierra 1 that was used in The Bill. How many diecast toys replicate this Ford Sierra with police decals on them. I only know of one.

Re: Hi from Sierra1 10 years, 6 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Welcome here !

I love vintage toys too (am I not on DP forum, I am ?) and owned a Sierra (Cosworth 4x4) for a long time.

I read about the Blue Peter Fiasco and am really sad to hear such a thing.

Nice collection of tri-ang pedal cars !

Re: Hi from Sierra1 10 years, 6 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Wekcome Vaughan welcome to PD. Sad story on the Dinky's, Blue Peter used have some funny old things going on.

Do you still have the Dinky you rescued? Would like to see some pictures of it.
  • Page: