New To Diecast
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
For all newcomers - welcome to the forums! Say hello and tell us a little about yourself and what you collect here!

TOPIC: New To Diecast

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
The 50 year yule applies to authored and written manuscripts as these constitute a published work.

Toys and or models are different but can come under the 'Interlectual Rigts' situation where a person developing, designing, producing, finishing, advertising, marketing and then selling a model or models as part of a range has sole interelectual rights over all the equipment he uses and any brand names he uses to market the models.

Protecting all this stuff is difficult and as soon as somebody else steals a design of his through actual copying of the model or through advertising a model incorrectly, court action can take place.

Rollerman.

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #17

Platinum Boarder
There is also eminent domain where after so many years of being on the market it becomes available to the public unless it is copy writed or Trade marked. If too old and no one has the rights to it, like the original dinky decals etc, then anyone can use it as long as they are not selling the same way Dinky used to. I think that is right. For personal use or limited use it is fine, in other words.

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
Fine. Still, the question remains: who came up with the code1-2-3 system? And if so, why not code 4 etcetera?

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
My first encounter with Codes was in the Matchbox Yesteryear reference list.

They used Code 4 and above but in a different context.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #20

Platinum Boarder
<p>So there are indeed more codes than 1/2/3 ! I suppose with 4/5/6 they still mean diecast. Nothing mentioned about alternate materials like 2 components, plastics or wood, or other materials. Neither about throw away materials meant for other purposes. Therefore, in the case of Matchbox anyway, there should be at least a code.....7 and 8 ?</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by Keesie.

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #21

Platinum Boarder
DinkyDi posted 2 types of 'codes'.

The 1st one relates to when Matchbox introduced the Ford Model T and Talbot vans. People went crazy for them (still made in England). The company sent some off for small promo purposes and then 3rd parties took them, removed the decals, put their own on , and sold them for more $$$ than the originals. It was crazy, I think. (I bought many!!)

So I think DinkyDi found the origin of Code 1 2 3. Due to the Yesteryear van craze.
--
The 2nd pic is a DIFFERENT code system - these are 'VARIATIONS' from the factory. They changed molds for parts that broke too easily, too hard to assemble; they changed colors over time, etc.

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #22

Platinum Boarder
I agree with Karls. DinkyDi has shown in the box above that says "Special Note" They describe 2 different systems of coding. I still say that what Kees has offered all comes under Code 3 as it is a change from Original. If we go with what Kees suggests there could be hundreds and hundreds of Codes. Take the addition of vegetables in a truck, that is code 143, or many sacks of grain are added to the back seat of a Cadillac Eldorado but there is also a huge Blower for the engine sticking out of the hood. Is that now a code 117 for the Blower but a code 215 for the blower with Sacks? It would get very confusing so just a code 1, 2 & 3 is all we need as it takes all the above and more into consideration.
That is the way I see it, anyway.

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #23

Platinum Boarder
<p>oldkorrigan wrote:
... Here's my first noob question - what exactly does Code 3 mean?
I have to thank Steve for starting this fantastic thread. You just never know what this group will latch onto and then we have a great discussion. That is why I love this site so much.</p>

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #24

Platinum Boarder
<p>Jim, I think the one who made up these codes in the first place made it somewhat easy on him(or her)self stating all models different from factory are code 3. However, indeed it would be very complicated to have some sort of system in which codes higher than 3 would be described. You also know I am fiddling around and not very serious, mainly to attract members to give their opinion.........</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by Keesie.

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #25

Platinum Boarder
.........you said so yourself: code 3 is a CHANGE from the original. So what about models which never existed.......

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #26

Platinum Boarder
If someone makes a model that never existed, I think they can call it a 'code whatever-they-want'!!! If it's modified from an original without factory permission, then it is a Code 3. Keep in mind, these are just conventions that were made up many years ago - if Keesie wants to make a code 4, then I say more power to him. Just so he defines what a code 4 is, i.e., this is all fun and toys!

The only real issue (important issue in my mind) here is if some new or inexperienced collector can't tell the difference and gets fooled.

I am glad i got my password working again to join this fun discussion... I should pull out some Code 2 Yesteryears and take some photos to show you... They are worthless now, I think...

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #27

Platinum Boarder
It was a big error by the authors of the Matchbox Collecion to explain what the accepted 3 'Codes' were and then itemise each model variation with a similar code. This was rectified for the MICA (Matchbox International Collectors Association),'White Books' by dropping the word 'Code' for each variation and using the word 'Issue'.

So anyone looking at 'The Collection' for easy explination of the code system will always get confused, there are only the three accepted codes (1, 2 and 3), for models made by the factory, made by the factory but modified by it's new owner with permission from the factory and models made by the factory, modified by it's new owner without permission from the factory.

In the UK the models of the type made by Keesie will come under 'Code 3' status.

Rollerman.

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #28

Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys, real food for thought isn't it....?

Karls, my password is leading it's own life as well the past few days: I tpye in my username, and my password then comes on automaticly. Login then failed, and when I type my password in, I can enter.
No, I cannot 'pinpoint' a new password in my compute,r becasue when I , again, it fails. Even asking a new one does not work.

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #29

Platinum Boarder
Rollerman, good explain, but still, a code wahtever always refers to a certain factory, producer or make. Is it somewhere stated how big, how many workers, or how succesful a factory must be/must have been to 'get involved' in that code system?

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #30

Platinum Boarder
No, success, number of workers or factory size does not affect the code system. It was the new owner of the models that instigated the '3 Code' system. On the back of the successful Yesteryear Van releases in 1978 with the Y-5 Talbot Tea Van, collectors saw a business oportunity to extend the range of Vans by putting non-Lesney designed decals, stickers or painted designs on the sides of the Van in enough quantities to make it a viable business venture and the number of models made in this way were always going to be low.

When some of these models filtered through to the second hand market, collectors were buying what they thought were genuine unrecorded Van variations and it had to be pointed out to them through the then model media such as magazines that those were not factory produced Vans.

A 'Code' system was devised between Lesney and the Matchbox collectors club to help those making and selling non produced Vans and those buying them to understand what the Vans were and it was agreed to take the code system to three levels as we have discussed earlier.

Since then this '3 Code' system has been adopted by most collectors to be applied to any make or brand of collectible model vehicle.

Rollerman.