New To Diecast
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
For all newcomers - welcome to the forums! Say hello and tell us a little about yourself and what you collect here!

TOPIC: New To Diecast

New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #1

Fresh Boarder
<p>Hi All,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Oldkorrigan here. Actually, it's Steven.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I found this place on the suggestion of the wonderful Nobleco. I just bought some Corgi parts from him and they beat my expectations for reproduction parts.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>But this should be about me. I'm somewhere between 30-50 . I have a wife, 2 year old daughter and a giant dog. I work at a Swedish furniture store and live in Quebec. In my spare time (who has any of that now-a-days) I like to go metal detecting. Which is what brought me to this site - in a round about way. Over the years (I've been detecting for 31 years) I have found mountains of old cars. Corgi, Lesney, Dinky, Hotwheels, Majorette...etc etc. Some of these cars are actually quite beautiful - once you get past the roots and rust and rot of being in the ground for 40+ years.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>A while back I started watching baremetalhw on youtube and I really liked the restorations he was doing. That lead me to Wheelsnthangs, then Marty's Matchbox Makeovers and Diecast Ressuection. So, I'm thinking, why not me? My restorations are pretty extreme (almost impossible). That's the fun of it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm using a decent(ish) compressor and airbrush that I got off of amazon in a kit. I'm using Vallejo paints, getting parts from Nobleco and other people around the world and learning a lot and making a lot of mistakes. I hope to get some tips from all of you guys as I am still very much a noob at this and, maybe, make a few friends along the way.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Here's some pics of the cars I'm restoring.</p>
<p>
</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by oldkorrigan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #2

Fresh Boarder
<p>Sorry for all those p and /p. I can't seem to get rid of them </p>

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Hello Steven, welcome to the forum. If you go back into your post for an edit it will add that unwanted text, so best if you can get by without editing and always use the 'Quick Reply' button to do your post in the first place.

Rollerman.

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Welcome aboard - can't wait to see some of your results. I can't believe you found all that in the Quebecois dirt!

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Hi Steven or Oldkorrigan (whatever you would like to be called!)

I have also seen some youtube resto's especially as Marty's Matchbox Makeovers thought me a new way of cleaning up plastic windshields using some wonderful stuff called 'pledge with future shine' for floors.

I Ended up ordering some of this acrylic stuff in from the states on the basis that was the only place that sold it (I live in the Uk)
Seems to do a pretty good job on a well tarnished shield as a cleaner and masks some small cracks, something I had not seen before from a household product.

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Oh yes, Welcome to the forum I nearly forgot! to say

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #7

Fresh Boarder
Thanks everyone. That quebecois dirt has given up a lot more than cars! On a side note I found someone on kijiji (online classified ad) selling a box of cars for 25$. Turns out it was over 150 cars - including Lesneys from the 60s and 70s, a couple corgis, even some reclines. So not all my restos will be from the dirt

I saw that tip about pledge for windscreens on a youtube video about model planes. I'm eager to try it. I also picked up some Testors clear plastic glue that you can also apparently layer on windscreens to cover up imperfections.

Here's my first noob question - what exactly does Code 3 mean?

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #8

Fresh Boarder
Redlines. Dang autocorrect.

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
<p>Hello there, welcome to this forum. You gave a nice introduction, and about the only thing I don't like is that you are in between 30 and 50. Which means 50 of course.</p>
<p>Great that you do metal detecting, which is actually what a lot of us do, with or without a detector.</p>
<p>About code 3, someone somewhere 'invented' this, but all people involved in the 'business' have different opinions about this. Code 1 should be factory made, code 2 a a resto according to the factory colours, and a code 3 would then mean you do your own colours. There are more codes of course, and I would not pay too much attention to this, as after a while you think it is a code whatever, to find out it is a non-existing model.</p>
Last Edit: 1 year, 7 months ago by Keesie.

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Welcome to Planet Diecast

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
I've seen it defines as:
Code 1 - from the factory
Code 2 - authorized by the factory but painted/decaled/etc by a 3rd party
Code 3 - resto or modified by someone else

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
<p>Code 4 made out of several parts by various makes. Several copies made.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Code 5 made out of parts which are handmade by maker but which could have been factory made, several copies made</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Code 6 made by one man factory and only one copy made, without the intention of selling.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Code 7 made by one man factory who says only one copy exists, but willing to make more copies if the price is right.</p>

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
No such thing as your code 4 thru 7 as they are all taken in by Code 3. Karls is correct but for the Code 3. Restorations are just that, restorations as they should be done the same as factory issue or at least as close as possible. That is what I do. Modifications, other than factory authorizations (Code 2) by anyone are considered Code 3. Cut up and make into a different vehicle or adding parts that did not belong of making your own parts are all Code 3 practices. I for one to not subscribe to the Code 1, that is a factory model and is just that. For me there are only Code 2 and Code 3 models. All else other than described above are just kids painting and breaking them up.

Welcome to the site Steven, glad we got your log in problems sorted out with Niall. He is great that way. Looks like you have a lot of work/pleasure ahead of you. Some will be nice to see restored and I will look ahead to your Code 3 models.

I see you have a third party picture poster so that is great. The one you use looks nicer as there are no ads or posted links with them. Most here use Postimage and that leave links etc with the pictures, most time.

Ask your questions as there are no stupid or silly questions unless you ask them over and over. There are, unfortunately, a lot of stupid or silly answers out there. You have come to a place where you won't get either. Some very knowledgeable people here.
Enjoy yourself and thanks for joining.
Jim

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
<p>Not really worth a discussion, but WHO has the right and decided EVERYONE else should adapt to the rule of those code 1/2/3's ? I read those codes once on a site made by a Belgium guy as some of you might remember. This very same guy pinched pictures from the net (or are they free to use by anyone?)from yours truly without asking and said the models in the pictures were fake models. I stated they were restorations and sold as such. The guy does not even restore himself, Does he have the right to place my pictures anyway? What I am trying to say is that I am ok with code 1/2/3, but there is no fine line between them, and because there are no official rules (are we allowed to restore and sell models without the factories knowing this ?), even a code 27 is possible.</p>

Re: New To Diecast 1 year, 7 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
<p>No idea if this goes for models or any other stuff, but there is an official rule in Holland, made up by the goverment: 50 years after the death of a writer EVERYONE can use his story and names from his books freely, as long as the unwritten guidelines are taken into consideration. Meaning, you can write about a hero and let him live new adventures.</p>
<p>As some of you know, I am the historian of a small school - museum. One of the former teachers also wrote books. He died in 1931. In 1981 a 'new' book appeared, and the government demanded that on page 1 there should be an explain: adapted from original writer and therefore free or former rights, 50 years after his death. Again, no idea how this works for car models.</p>