So very new - How do we do this?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
For all newcomers - welcome to the forums! Say hello and tell us a little about yourself and what you collect here!
  • Page:

TOPIC: So very new - How do we do this?

So very new - How do we do this? 2 years, 3 months ago #1

Fresh Boarder
Greetings from Los Angeles,

I have been a huge fan of the Hot Wheels for years.

I now find myself looking to sell my Father's massive Matchbox collection and a few near mint Dinky toys. Where do we do this in person? And how do I talk to folks about the value of these beautiful models?

I would like to know more and also find the right markets.

Any help will be appreciated as I continue to learn on your site.

Thanks,

Pete

Re: So very new - How do we do this? 2 years, 3 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Let me be the first to welcome you to Planet Diecast. I am in BC Canada so not far from you.
There are a number of ways to sell your Father's collection from online to auction house to yard sale and flea markets. If there are any toy shows in your area, you could rent a table and sell them there too.
As to value, that is determined by the market at the time of sale. For current prices I would use a site like eBay. You can see what has been sold and for what prices. Some put prices way to high hoping someone will come along and buy it. From time to time you will see the same items go for low low prices. Just depends on who has seen it and who is bidding on it at that time. You can search for the toys you have, make a list and put high and low prices on it so you have an idea. Some people will just take their chances and list them at a $1.00 start and wait to see what happens. That can generate more interest than starting up nearer what they are worth. You can always take some pictures and post them here. There might be people here interested on some of what your selling.
Good luck , Jim

Re: So very new - How do we do this? 2 years, 3 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
eBay
The following user(s) said Thank You: pwyliecoyote

Re: So very new - How do we do this? 2 years, 3 months ago #4

Fresh Boarder
Thanks Jim!

I appreciate your taking the time to walk me through the basics.

My wife and I spent most of yesterday looking at a couple of different sites for prices and past sales. Doing exactly what you suggested. Shows and auctions are also great ideas so I will look into those.

Have a great week!

Best,

Pete

Re: So very new - How do we do this? 2 years, 3 months ago #5

Fresh Boarder
Thanks!

Re: So very new - How do we do this? 2 years, 3 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
A warm welcome from Belgium. I hope te see some pictures of what you are selling.

Re: So very new - How do we do this? 2 years, 3 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Welcome from Ontario Canada. 

Ebay is a great source for pricing for asking prices as well as actual sales. But you need to learn how to weed out the "iffy" sale prices and get decent basis values. As suggested earlier you can also just start bids at .99 and see where they go. Adds on Kijiji or Craigslist may get you a dealer who is willing to buy the lot and they'll deal with the resale. You'll earn less, but also less headache.

And of course, post pics here as there are many collectors here.
  • Page: