New to the hobby.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
For all newcomers - welcome to the forums! Say hello and tell us a little about yourself and what you collect here!

TOPIC: New to the hobby.

New to the hobby. 2 years, 3 months ago #1

Fresh Boarder
Hi,

I am an absolute beginner to this hobby. After many years restoring the real things, have had to downsize to models due to age! I now find it difficult to handle the full size motorcycles and vehicles in my workshop but need to keep busy.

Staring with the usual Chitty Bang Bang, James bond cars and Batmobile.

Re: New to the hobby. 2 years, 3 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Hi there BazF, let me be the first one to reply to your introduction, as others give me the privilege to do so.....haha. I mean, your posting has been seen 20 times already...... 

So, again, welcome to the forum. Once you get the 'hang' of it, you never know, you might want to stay....

What did you restore before you tried to concentrate on the models? I sure like to know what motorcycles and other wheels you have in your garage!

Very 'noble' to try a Batmobile, Chitty or Bond Aston first.....do you have the old models already to restore? I am sure doing those is a different field than big ones, so you could be dissapointed with the result doing  those complicated ones first. Why don't you try some easier ones first?
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by Keesie.

Re: New to the hobby. 2 years, 3 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
A warm welcome from Belgium. I hope to see some pictures of your restorations.

Re: New to the hobby. 2 years, 3 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Welcome to PD from BC Canada. Good to have you here. Where are you from. I can't tell as our site is having problems with some of the navigation.
You have taken on a challenge that even I will not do. Being here in Canada, the parts for those cars are expensive. Even though I can get them and sell some on my eBay store, I do not attempt doing the Chitty or Bat Mobile and I have been restoring toy cars for over 10 years now. Call me chicken if you will but I just don't have the urge to do them. I like to stick to the older simpler cars as they hold a nostalgic feeling for me. I would recommend doing a couple single color restorations first so you get the hang of removing and installing rivets, specially the ones holding in things like Window units or engines etc. Some can be tricky. I would also recommend using small screws to re attach the base plates due to the working on the inside. Don't want them to come loose.

Re: New to the hobby. 2 years, 3 months ago #5

Expert Boarder
Hi from here, too. I agree, taking on Chitty is very brave indeed. On the plus side, it seems there's a couple others on the forum who want to do it too, so you're definitely in the right place!

I however am too much of a coward to try it(!)

Re: New to the hobby. 2 years, 3 months ago #6

Welcome tot the forum from The Netherlands. There are a lot of experienced restorers here, so if you have questions, fire away

Re: New to the hobby. 2 years, 3 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
I have restored a few Batmobiles and a few James Bond Aston Martins.

The Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is on my list. So if you want to know anything about the Batmobile or the James Bond car, you're welcome.

Re: New to the hobby. 2 years, 3 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Jim, I will not let this opportunity go by to call you chicken.......

Re: New to the hobby. 2 years, 3 months ago #9

Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the interest Gents.

To answer a couple of questions;

I am in Western Australia.

I have restored, over the years, 3 WW2 jeeps, WW2 radio truck, several (4) LandRovers, 4 Austin Champs, quite a few Triumph and Honda motorcycles.

I have also collected and restored radios, Phono/gramophones and many clocks, so I have no fear of Chitty Bang Bang or Batmobile.

I  already have the cars here ready to start.

I have downsized my collections and bikes, now on 3 wheels (Can Am Spyder)

Baz

Re: New to the hobby. 2 years, 3 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Kees, I accept that but if you saw how much I have to replace that is missing on the ones I do have, I don't think you would want to do them either. Both the Chitty and Bat Mobile are missing many parts and drivers, passengers, tires etc on top of that. They came in pieces to so I don't really know what is missing but there just does not seem to be enough there to make a car out of either.

Baz, great to hear bout the bikes. I used to build Harley Davidson's and had a shop. I have also owned and built myself a 1942 45 Army Harley, 1947 Knuckle head Harley, 1969 Triumph Bonnyville radical chopper and a couple other British bikes with friends over the years, BSA and Norton both come to mind, I have also always, until retirement, worked on my own cars. I don't have to buy beaters anymore, LOL
It will be interesting watching your restore these and I hope you will take pictures while restoring. At least a before, a few during and a finished model shot. Good Luck
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: New to the hobby. 2 years, 3 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
That was just a joke Jim, I meant you are the chicken with the golden eggs......

Besides, a guy who restored Harley's is not a chicken!

Baz, you also restored your classics then. Well done my man. About grammophones, we had a thread here recently about those. When you did clocks, you can also do the mentioned car models. No idea what a Can Am Spyder is.......

Ok, as Jim also has some Batmobiles and such, isn't it an idea to do things sort of simultaniously? We could do some seperate threads about each. I would suggest to do a Bond Aston first.

Re: New to the hobby. 2 years, 3 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Here is a picture of some of my restorations.

Re: New to the hobby. 2 years, 3 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Kees, I though you were joking but I was serious about how much is missing from both the Bat Mobile and the Chitty Bang. It would be much cheaper to buy a good playworn one and have it shipped from Australia to Canada than it would be to replace the missing parts. Over $100 is needed for the Bat Mobile alone. Don't forget, no toy fairs, no auction houses, no boot or yard sales and the ones you do find try to sell old Dinky's or Corgi's for huge bucks. I can remember finding a Dinky Army Scout Car up in Armstrong at their out door market one summer on a trip up to the North Okanagan. The guy wanted $150 for it and it was playworn, missing at least 2 tires and had no canopy. He would not even come down $10. I just laughed at him and walked away.

Re: New to the hobby. 2 years, 3 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
I know you are always serious Jim......

We never talked about missing parts when you visited us, did we? Well, even when a Batmible misses ALL parts, you can still turn it into a Batboat!

You are right, when you know how many and which parts you need, and look up the prices, it might come to a fortune. Even more than just buying a restored or intact one.

So, the plan: do a new thread, start, and all who have an opinion or idea of a certain stage of the resto, join in. Who else agrees?
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by Keesie.

Re: New to the hobby. 2 years, 3 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Nobleco, maybe i can help.

I have one Batmobile to do as a restoration and then i have some parts left over.

I have 5 Corgi Chitty Chitty Bang Bang cars that i have to drill open for doing a restoration. Then i'm going to have some spare parts left over.

Maybe we can come to an agreement. i can send you the spare parts you need and maybe you have something i can use.
I like to trade.

But that is for in a few months.
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by chaccamacca.