Greetings from Scotland
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
For all newcomers - welcome to the forums! Say hello and tell us a little about yourself and what you collect here!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Greetings from Scotland

Re: Greetings from Scotland 2 years, 5 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
That's the beauty of tinplate, it lasts. At least 80% of my Gauge One is pre WW1, and the rest made in the early to mid twenties. My earliest item is 1904 and still running well!

Next layout our Vintage Tinplate Group will be doing is:-

MIDLANDS GARDEN RAIL SHOW - LARGE SCALE MODEL RAIL

Saturday 17th March to Sunday 18th March 2018 at 

This is a two day show and we get to speak to a lot of people and share our enjoyment with them.

Layout will be around 36X16 feet, all 3 rail tinplate 6 running tracks. 

Photos of earlier ones below: - 

Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by StuartR.

Re: Greetings from Scotland 2 years, 5 months ago #17

Fresh Boarder
Stuart, that is an incredible display.  I don't doubt we have friends in common, even if only online.  I have managed to resist Gauge 1 so far and, given that my interest in 0 tends to wander around the world, have also resisted US standard/wide gauge.

I suppose most of my 0 gauge is between the wars, but do have a few odds and ends from earlier.

I am sure you will be familiar with Cyril and Daisy of Duck End?

Graeme

Re: Greetings from Scotland 2 years, 5 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
Graeme,

They are superb videos. I have a very nice Milbro LMS Coach that I bought from Peter, believe it was used in their first video. 

For those of you who have not discovered the delights of Duck end plaese look at the link and watch the videos.

www.duckendrailway.co.uk/

Be very careful if you even get tempted by Gauge One. It as an even bigger habit that O gauge!! I fell into it by buying some wagons listed as O gauge and looking awful in the photos for spares. Turned out to be pretty good Gauge One items. So of course once one had the wagons the first Loco came along.

I also have, continuing the Caledonian theme,  a Dunalaistair with rake of CR coaches and a McIntosh 0-6-0T 784 from Colonel Burns railway, built initially in 1909, also with Carette and Bassett Lowke wagons.

Photo of the groups motive power depot at the Bassett Lowke 25th anniversary do in Swindon

And that's one of two Carette water towers on the layout.

The O gauge layout

The gauge One layout

It was a cracking weekend, with a lot of rare and seldom seen rare items coming out of the woodwork!
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Greetings from Scotland 2 years, 5 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
Graeme, Welcome to Planet Diecast from BC Canada but then you already know me from Toy Car Collectors. Glad you came over to check us out and you have one fantastic train set. I have a Hornby Dublo set upstairs from the 1940's or 50's, my Dad bought me in 1958. All put away until I move to a place with some room for it. I am sure you will have a great time here. Not many train collectors here but they seem to come out of the woodwork when someone starts to show there set ups.

Have a good time. Great folks here.

Re: Greetings from Scotland 2 years, 5 months ago #20

superb lay-outs with fantastic looking scenery and trains.

Re: Greetings from Scotland 2 years, 5 months ago #21

Platinum Boarder
Wow is all I can say.

Although I have a few modern sets from the 1990s I don't consider myself a collector. That doesn' mean I don' enjoy other people's collections. Keep the photos coming!!!!!!
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by Tick.

Re: Greetings from Scotland 2 years, 5 months ago #22

Fresh Boarder
Thanks all, for the continued interest.  Stuart, love the pictures from the BL Swindon do.  I am a BLS member, but NE Scotland to Swindon was just too far.

These photos are from an earlier public display.

Graeme
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Greetings from Scotland 2 years, 5 months ago #23

And you collect dogs too

Re: Greetings from Scotland 2 years, 5 months ago #24

Fresh Boarder
Just the one

Re: Greetings from Scotland 2 years, 5 months ago #25

Platinum Boarder
Fantastic colours in your layout , great to see this all set out like this

Re: Greetings from Scotland 2 years, 5 months ago #26

Platinum Boarder
Lovely to see and amazing to look at what all you have there, very diverse. If I only had the room my Hornby Dublo 12 Volt set would be up and running. Have to do lots of cleaning though as it has been put away for a few decades, at least. Been out from time to time and put together when the kids were little for short periods, usually Christmas. Would be nice to have the room.

Re: Greetings from Scotland 2 years, 5 months ago #27

Platinum Boarder
Graeme,

It was a great weekend. After the 2012 one everyone was saying it was a one off, we'll all be too old to do another one, said same again this time, may be a third one?

I look after the spares for the Bassett Lowke Society.

FYI we do have a good man for clock work repairs now so any issues call me ( and anyone else can PM me for contact details). He does a few restorations and repairs as well as the clockwork.

I have all the Bonds spares (they take up a fair chunk of room in my workshop), and have just done a catalogue so people who cannot get to the meetings will be able to see what is available and order direct from me.

We are hoping to put it on the website as a download. 

If anyone on the group and O gauge loco spares for Bonds, or any makes, repairs/scratch building PM me with your e mail and I'll send a PDF out.

Beauty is that all the proceeds go to the Society!
  • Page: