For all newcomers - welcome to the forums! Say hello and tell us a little about yourself and what you collect here!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hi

Hi 2 years, 5 months ago #1

Expert Boarder
Thought it polite to introduce myself here before I asked a question. A fan of Rootes products from the 1960s, recently got back into collecting and restoring, so thought I should register here

Re: Hi 2 years, 5 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Welcome to the forum.

Collecting the products of the Rootes Groups is quite chalenging against the regular Ford, Porsche and Ferrari models.

Like Vauxhall toys and models, they seemed to be ignored for a very long time. With Vauxhalls this was intentional. With Rootes I am not sure, but some car companies just did not see the value in having toys or models made of their products!

We will look forward to what you collect, but just remeber to have simple file names for your pictures as the forum's platform does not like these...' '' # - (),. so if you have something named Dinky Hillman Imp, #138 (rare US box0. it won't load to the forum!

Rollerman.

Re: Hi 2 years, 5 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Welcome to the forum from a danish Rootes-fan Yes, like Rollerman said, Rootes models can be challenging to collect - ots of popular models were completely skipped by the vintage (then contemporary) toy companies, and even today, with all the partworks collections with the likes of Fiat, Peugeot, Citroën, Opel, Volvo, Lancia etc., there's no such thing for Rootes models, and many only exist as expensive niche models in either white metal or resin.

I'm looking forward to see examples of your collection.

Re: Hi 2 years, 5 months ago #4

Expert Boarder
Teebodk wrote:
stuff
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by DedraDodo.

Re: Hi 2 years, 5 months ago #5

Expert Boarder
Teething troubles with the code!

Anyway, thanks for the welcome both and yep, often too pricy! Absence from the hobby for a few years meant I missed out on the Silas Hunter/Sceptre etc and generally I wouldn't pay *that* much... but do have the British Heritage models Sunbeam Rapier on reserve!

Re: Hi 2 years, 5 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Welcome to PD, I used to own a 1971 Hillman Hunter & a 1979 Chrysler Hunter, I have a few Rootes cars in plastic ,tin plate & resin, Rootes cars were produced by the plastic manufactures possibly more than the diecast manufactures although these models shown are quite scarce.

Here are some of them, enjoy Planet Diecast

Sunbeam Rapier or Alpine

Commer 3/4 tonne van

Commer Ice Cream van

Hillman Hunter Series1/Minx

Smiths Karrier

Commer /Smiths Karrier

Hillman Avenger/Dodge 1500

Sunbeam rapier series 11

Sunbeam rapier series 1

Singer Vogue

Sunbeam Alpine

Singer Vogue

Humber sceptre

Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by Andy66.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Hi 2 years, 5 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Welcome to the forum from BC Canada.I hope you enjoy your stay here and lets see some of your collection so far.

I recognize some of the models shown but with out names most are a mystery to me. Even being a Dinky Collector I only know the ones with the names on the box or iconic ones like the Mr Softee Smith's Karrier van and the Sunbeam Alpine. I did not know of nor heard of Rootes group until I was probably in my 50's and then I think it had to do with Racing cars, I think.
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Hi 2 years, 5 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
I have put names with models now Nobleco, i think I have put them correct
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by Andy66.

Re: Hi 2 years, 5 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for doing that Andy, it is appreciated. Most I did not know by looking at them. I grew up with North American cars in the 1950's to 1990's and beyond and did not come across much in european cars. Just the likes of Austin (or Morris), Jag, MG, Triumph etc in the sports cars and then the likes of Porsche, Mercedes and other luxury cars. Did not see Sunbeams but for the Alpine and Tiger and those like the Vogue and Rapier were never seen over here. Thanks again for putting names to them for the like of myself and others who don't know these cars that well.

Re: Hi 2 years, 5 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Yes, Silas Models are/were a prime source for these cars and I'm fortunate enough to have them all:

SM43013c - Sunbeam Rapier Series III, 1960 (powder blue/corinth blue)

SM43044c - Sunbeam Rapier Series IIIa Convertible, 1961 (moonstone/morocco brown)

SM43055b - Humber Sceptre MkIII, 1972 (green metallic/flat black)

SM43052a - Hillman Hunter, 1966 (shore beige)

SM43054a - Singer Vogue, 1967 (burnt almond metallic)

I have no idea if the company still exists or not. Last activity was in autumn 2016 when they were getting ready to launch 6 more Austin Maxi (after already making 3 earlier) - the prototypes were presented and owner Frederic Cros talked to potential buyers about final corrections and modifications. When asked when the models would come out, he said "probably not before Christmas" - 2016, that is! Since then, everything's been quiet.

Under normal circumstances one would assume that a company has gone out of business after such a long time of no activity, but Silas is/was never a "normal" company and there have been long periods of "radio silence" in the past as well, only for a new model to emerge out of the blue.

Re: Hi 2 years, 5 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Welcome to the forum DD! Some nice pictures and thanks Andy too.

I agree Rootes cars are a little bit neglected in the model world with some car types although Dinky in particular and Corgi a little bit did make a few Rootes models and Spot On had a go too with the Humber Super Snipe estate and Hillman Minx Series V. And the Sunbeam Alpine. 

Shame Corgi only made the Hunter as the rally car but I converted a couple to road cars.

Silas seem to have gone a bit quiet and I missed out on a MK3 Sceptre, they sold like hot cakes! But I have managed to bag a Silas Singer Vogue in the maroon colour from a Dutch Ebay seller at a so-so price.

Don't forget Corgi Vanguards made a few Rootes/Chrysler cars in their range too, the Hillman Minx Series 3 *Audax*, Hillman Avenger, Chrysler Sunbeam Hatchback, and the Imp and the Sunbeam Alpine sports. I wanted them to do the Hunter range and we do need a nice affordable 1/43 model of the fastback Rapier/Alpine.

Re: Hi 2 years, 5 months ago #12

Expert Boarder
Ah yes, converting Corgi Hunters into road cars turns into a bit of a habit!

I have a rough and ready Hunter estate on the workbench that (some time!) I'll take up again and try and work out how to do the back tailgate in some way that's at least vaguely realistic.

Re: Hi 2 years, 5 months ago #13

And a warm welcome from The Netherlands!

Re: Hi 2 years, 5 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Hello there, welcome to this forum. Never heard of Rootes, but I see there are similar Corgi models.

Re: Hi 2 years, 5 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Hello, a warm welcome from Belgium.
  • Page: