Hello Planet Diecast
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
For all newcomers - welcome to the forums! Say hello and tell us a little about yourself and what you collect here!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hello Planet Diecast

Hello Planet Diecast 2 years, 7 months ago #1

Junior Boarder
Hello Diecast Planet members,

I'm the new guy. I'm a lifelong collector of Dinky and Corgi, with a little Matchbox, and a few lesser brands as they came along. I'm an avid restorer and converter, when I have time. The last few years have been slow, as work has kept me busy, but a serious plane accident last summer has me returning to more simple things in life - the toys I appreciated so much.

I have a comprehensive machine shop, so I'm not afraid to apply it to my ideas, which have included the converted Leyland fuel tanker. I was inspired by the prototype tanker shown on page 215 of Mike and Sue Richardson's "Dinky Toys and Modelled Miniatures", so I converted a Leyland dump truck, and Esso Artic trailer, and the result was a pleasing one of a kind.

I have done a few other conversions, along with some major repairs and restorations. I have always printed up decals, with my name and year, which state "Restoration" or "Conversion", so in the future, a person handing the toy will have the opportunity to know what they're holding.

I'll look forward to reading the posts, and I have some contributory ideas. That's al for me now...

Jim

Re: Hello Planet Diecast 2 years, 7 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Welcome to Planet Diecast from BC. I see your also in Canada and we have at least one other active member from Ontario. Not sure if you know that the site is run by a company in Ontario.
You will have to show us some of your collection and it would be nice to see some of your equipment too. As your browsing, don't forget to check your the Resto and Code 3 section and the Hints and Tips section that is under the same heading. I think you will find some of it very interesting.
Looking forward to your posts and maybe seeing what you have.
Jim (also)

Re: Hello Planet Diecast 2 years, 7 months ago #3

and a warm welcome from The Netherlands too, Please show us some photos of your collection

Theo - RoutemasterNL

Re: Hello Planet Diecast 2 years, 7 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Awesome... another renovator.

Please show your ideas.

Welcome from New Zealand

Richard k

Re: Hello Planet Diecast 2 years, 7 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
A great job you did, Jim. I love both real and never-made Dinky Toys. Looking forward to many to come! Welcome to PD! Kind regards, Jan

Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by janwerner.

Re: Hello Planet Diecast 2 years, 7 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Hi there Jim, welcome to you. Thanks for your good and great introduction. What kept you waiting....? You made us all very curious with your story, and we love to see some pictures. Because you mentioned it, I sure like to know about your plane accident.

Re: Hello Planet Diecast 2 years, 7 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Welcome to the forum Jim (Jim 1, Jim 2 or Jim 3, lost count!) and you will find you are in good company.

We are very lucky in having several mebers here who restore/renovate and supply parts and it seems to be a very popular extension to actually colecting models.

Looking forward to some pictures of your models restored, converted or just because you like them.

Rollerman.

Re: Hello Planet Diecast 2 years, 7 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
A few years ago bought this little Dinky Bedford from eBay.

Do not know who made it. I just liked it and i still have it.

Re: Hello Planet Diecast 2 years, 7 months ago #9

Junior Boarder
Thank you for the welcome members. The hobby of toys had been a bit sidelined while I was immersed in my work in aircraft testing and approval for the last few years. Added to that, I am a moderator on a very well known aviation chat group. To my suprize, after being a pilot for 40 years, and flying as a test pilot for the last ten, it was a very straight forward training accident last summer which has put me in the hospital. My student was not able to maintain control at a critical point during a water landing, and I could not regain control fast enough. I was ejected through the windshield, ending up somewhat broken and paralyzed. I've been in hospital for four months, and will be discharged this week. Walking is assured, though I'm not expecting to be doing much running! A broken back is very sobering, as is being in rehab with people who can only steer a wheelchair by leaning their head! Never fail to appreciate simply standing up, and stepping forward!

Anyway, enough of that! I'm really looking forward to beginning my next life, less airplanes, more diecast toys as my hobby! Since my youth, when most of these toys could be purchased right off the store shelf, I have collected. I saw the "writing on the wall" for Dinky Toys in the late '70's, which corresponded with several trips I took to the UK, so I stocked up on a number of them before they were gone. I've been collecting here and there ever since. As I have always been a tinkerer, I was delighted to find those toys which had been appreciated to death, and needed a new life. I feel a little sad for the MIB toys, as though pristine, they have never had fun. My projects have had fun! They will never be MIB, but they will be pretty again. I know have a personal connection to being "restored"!

I'll post some more photos soon, and when I'm home, and settled in, start cataloging and photographing. My collection exceeds one thousand presentable Dinky, Corgi, and Matchbox, and I have a hundred or so projects put away. I was lucky enough to get to know Bill the Dinky parts guy in St. Catherines, Ontario before his sad passing, so I'm well stocked in the parts and decals I need for my projects. He was super person, and I had many nice visits, appreciating his awesome collection.

More to come as time permits...

Cheers, Jim

Re: Hello Planet Diecast 2 years, 7 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Heya jim, hopefully we will be good company for you throughout your rehabilitation.
Dinky also made a number of planes, most being the worse for wear. They did not always get the colours right.

Also quite popular is Meccano.

Re: Hello Planet Diecast 2 years, 7 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Hello Jim, or should I say neighbour. Newmarket is not too far from Brechin considering this forum spans the globe.

That's a hell of a story. Glad you are here to tell it. Cant wait to see your creations.

I have similar attitude as you with regards to MIB. I like 'em a bit playworn for character and also cheaper !!!! I have no attachment with diecast models and their real life counterparts. Its all about the toy for me. Its about my childhood memories and the fact that I was such a toy car kid, and still am today. It keeps me young. There is not a model I own (MIB or playworn) that at some point has not been played with by me and my kids. Not so much anymore as they are 12 and 13 and more into screens than anything. But I still play.

I don't restore, but do repair. I do love seeing what others can do though. We have some very talented folks here. Cant wait to see what you all share.

Cheers!

Re: Hello Planet Diecast 2 years, 7 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
welcome to PD ToyJim, Be good to see some of your restored models.

Re: Hello Planet Diecast 2 years, 7 months ago #13

Junior Boarder
Some photos of my collection...

That mostly sums it up. I admit to contaminating my collection with a few off brands, and many models I have made over the decades, but the real toys are there!

Re: Hello Planet Diecast 2 years, 7 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Wonderful to see them all in nice cabinets and on display. Not all here have that ability due to room constraints. I have most of mine out but only about 125 in a proper cabinet. Those are my own restorations. Thanks for showing us what you collect, very diverse, indeed.

Re: Hello Planet Diecast 2 years, 7 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
That is a superb collection.

Is that a kitset Apollo rocket? Its magnificent.
  • Page: