This forum is specifically for diecast made in France - Solido, Majorette, Norev, CIJ, FJ, Quiralu and all the others.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Majorette Mercedes 280SE & Citroen C5

Majorette Mercedes 280SE & Citroen C5 9 years, 12 months ago #1

Administrator
I got this Majorette Mercedes in a lot off OFAS and the Citroen at a petrol station in Belgium last month. Both say they are 1/65 scale on the bases, so I thought it would be interesting to photograph them together - 2 Majo models of large executive cars in the same scale separated by around 40 years!

Re: Majorette Mercedes 280SE & Citroen C5 9 years, 12 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
the irony is that Majorette scaling leaves much to the imagination as in fact the Mercedes is still bigger than the Citroen in real life.

Re: Majorette Mercedes 280SE & Citroen C5 9 years, 12 months ago #3

Administrator
Interesting... seems you are right, although the Citroen is wider IRL: The real Mercedes is 4900mm long and 1810mm wide, while the Citroen is 4778mm long and 1852mm wide

Re: Majorette Mercedes 280SE & Citroen C5 9 years, 12 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
still, good score on the Mercedes. It appears its missing its chrome hubs which were prone to fall out.

Re: Majorette Mercedes 280SE & Citroen C5 9 years, 12 months ago #5

Senior Boarder
Nice Mercedes 280SE. I am begining to think that 1:64 nowdays has become more of a generic term for this size car. At least I'm not the only person looking at cars in my collection and scratching my head over this.

Re: Majorette Mercedes 280SE & Citroen C5 9 years, 12 months ago #6

Administrator
RVREVO wrote:
still, good score on the Mercedes. It appears its missing its chrome hubs which were prone to fall out.

Actually this one doesn't have the separate-hub wheels - it's got the all-black ones with the hubcaps moulded in.

Re: Majorette Mercedes 280SE & Citroen C5 9 years, 12 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Yes, I'd agree that the '1/64' label probably shouldn't be taken too seriously. In fact, when could we ever really count on scale? I'm still having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that all my old 1/43's were not 1/43 at all. In a recent thread, Dinkycollector said, that only a handful of vintage UK Dinkys were truly 1/43! All the others were... different scales, depending on each model and heaven knows what whims and ways.

So what good is the scale for anyway, if it's incorrect? Well, not much, I guess, except as a guide that a certain model is 'closer to 1/64 than 1/43 or 1/76'

Re: Majorette Mercedes 280SE & Citroen C5 9 years, 12 months ago #8

Yes. Something the Lionel train guys had to deal with in the early days of model railroading. Some are "o" sort of scale and some are true 1/48 scale. Scale can be subjective to whim it seems. Early Matchbox cars and trucks were all over the place with scale. I think the Euclid basic wheel dump truck was 1/100 scale, if I remember correctly, and other models in the line closer to 1/64th. Some of the trucks, like the GMC tipper and the refrigerated truck were close to 87th scale. So, yeah, scale is hit and miss, but could be lumped into a general range.

Re: Majorette Mercedes 280SE & Citroen C5 9 years, 12 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Vans, trucks, buses amd coaches are the very worst and almost always severely downsized compared to other models from the same maker. The Vanguards trucks are, what? 1/64ish or is it more like 1/76ish and their vans being 1/64ish?

In fact proper scaling seems to be so rare, that when I recieved an Opel Blitz van from Starline recently, I was shocked to see how big it was, being so used to smaller vans.

This is sort of okay, I guess, when the models serve as toys only, but it's quite a mess for collectors - like, how do you create a diorama, when all the trucks, vans and buses are downsized?

Re: Majorette Mercedes 280SE & Citroen C5 9 years, 12 months ago #10

Try and figure out a "real world" train layout. I've got to sit down and measure each one for scale accuracy. I've had to settle for 50th scale on the On30 because of the lack of vehicles I want to use in 48th scale.

Re: Majorette Mercedes 280SE & Citroen C5 9 years, 12 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
wowee, older molded wheels I didn't know about.

Re: Majorette Mercedes 280SE & Citroen C5 9 years, 12 months ago #12

Administrator
They might be newer, I'm not sure of the chronology of Majorette wheels - there's one on carlscars with the same wheels.

Re: Majorette Mercedes 280SE & Citroen C5 8 years, 11 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
From a nice pair of Majorette's, the topic went to scale and accuracy. I too have the same issues. Also, we can see generally the 1:64ish cars of Majorette, Matchbox, but also SIKU - to name three - used to be smaller in scale and have gone up over the years.
  • Page: