This forum is specifically for diecast made in France - Solido, Majorette, Norev, CIJ, FJ, Quiralu and all the others.

TOPIC: Majorette - Bernard truck

Majorette - Bernard truck 10 years, 10 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
There are many reasons why I like this little truck. One is personal, but the other I can share. I first got the Shell truck when I became 6yo. We emigrated to New Zealand a few years later and my brother\'s friend Aaron lost a good chunk of my cars godknowswhere. As Majorette wasn\'t sold in New Zealand it would be a total fluke to get this particular truck back, but I did. Paid 5 bucks for the complete unit at a local secondhand shop a few years later.
It was my truck - and I got it back.

Back in Holland during the 90s found all the other Bernard trucks you see in the picture.
But how sharp are your eyes??? not all are what they appear to be.

DSC00606.JPG

Re:Majorette - Bernard truck 10 years, 10 months ago #2

Fresh Boarder
I adore the Bernards! Especially the \'plastic bumper\' versions, made from 1965 till about 1973.
I spotted the \'off brand\' Bernard!
As a kid I also adored this truck and in fact, living in the Netherlands, I have never seen one in full size. For some years now I\'m searching the Net for images and recently I found a couple!

Re:Majorette - Bernard truck 10 years, 10 months ago #3

Fresh Boarder
And some of the 300 series Bernards (300 = with trailer, 200 is single models)

The oldest 300 series in my collection: the Bernard is on Rail//Route wheels! Notice the chassis of the trailer is painted silver metalic, that is quite an uncommon color for these early Majorette trucks. Also the trailer has \'swirls\' in the \'aluminum\', which indicates it to be of the first production run. Later on these swirls were removed. For comparison pics, check the Majorette Bernard truck gallery in my personal information.

Re:Majorette - Bernard truck 10 years, 10 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
excellent finds Henri,

the Shell trailer at the back is a PlayArt trailer copy from the Majorette tanker. Not sure about the truck though, but the lines are unmistakable.

Re:Majorette - Bernard truck 10 years, 9 months ago #5

OK, where is the real world truck from? I can\'t seem to find it listed in any of the info I have here at the house. Thanks for the pics of the real rigs, got my attention.

Re:Majorette - Bernard truck 10 years, 9 months ago #6

Fresh Boarder
The trucks are from France. The brand ended production I think early \'70-s. Many of these trucks used MACK engines.

Re:Majorette - Bernard truck 10 years, 9 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
oldtruck56 wrote:

OK, where is the real world truck from? I can\'t seem to find it listed in any of the info I have here at the house. Thanks for the pics of the real rigs, got my attention.
The company was started by E. Bernard, and was named SA des Bennes Basculantes E.Bernard. They started out making truck parts, but from 1923 onwards also complete trucks. They started with rather modern trucks for their days, well build, but their image gradually dissapeared and were seen as old-fashioned in the fifties. To counter this, Philippe Charbonneaux designed a very modern looking truck, which is the truck Majorette in their wisdom recreated in our scale. In the same year as this truck was designed, 1963, it was taken over by Mack. They dropped Bernard in 1966.

Last Edit: 10 years, 9 months ago by jclevering.

Re:Majorette - Bernard truck 10 years, 9 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
I mentioned Philippe Charbonneaux, he was also responsible for the Renault 16, to name something famous.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe_Charbonneaux

Re:Majorette - Bernard truck 10 years, 9 months ago #9

Fresh Boarder
He also worked on the design of the 1953 Corvette!

Re:Majorette - Bernard truck 10 years, 9 months ago #10

Thank you. I\'ve got a couple Majorette trucks, a 200 series GMC dump truck and a White Road Boss boat hauler, both came without packages or boxes.

Re:Majorette - Bernard truck 10 years, 9 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Heya Rob, the Bernard is a good scale for your rail model layout. The older black wheeled versions would be ideal.

The Dutch guys in Holland will probably be able to fit you up with a couple if they\'re able.

Re:Majorette - Bernard truck 10 years, 9 months ago #12

Thanks Richard. I had a look on evilpay and they\'ve got several over there. Not sure it would fit on the layout, I\'ve built more trucks than I have room for....wonder how that happened.

Re:Majorette - Bernard truck 9 years, 11 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
US packaging Bernard..

Re:Majorette - Bernard truck 9 years, 11 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
way too cool. I like

Re:Majorette - Bernard truck 9 years, 11 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Me too.

Frame.